My OPINION of RCCL Serenade of the Seas 10/30 - 11/6

Sunny, I do apologize for misinterpreting the tone and the intent of your post. As I did mention many pages back, I was really pleased to see that you rated the service/cleanliness on Serenade so highly, because that is also very important to me. I also noted that, at least in my opinion, your main criteria was in having some quality time with your husband, and in that regard the cruise was a success. My criteria is very different because I'm traveling with a teenager. So, we probably will stick with RCCL for a bit because Serenade and the other ships offer many more activities for him (which then gives ME a chance to relax), the itineraries are great, and the price is right (gotta love those coupons and shipboard credits).

I, too, have only been on one other cruise, and it was a 4-day RCCL So. Cal trip. We had a great time, primarily because we were finally on a cruise! The food was fine with us -- some high points, some things we didn't like as much, but again, it was part of the overall package of dressing up, being catered to, and being away from the "real world" for a few precious days. I do hope the entertainment is a bit better on Serenade than it was on Monarch, but it doesn't sound like it will be. Even that will be OK -- it's good for a laugh. I recall one other poster mentioning that the Grass Roots & the Drifters performed on his cruise, so that would be more than fine with me.

Again, I apologize for any remarks I may have made that offended you.

Laurie

[quote name='tmt9367']Alright, I went back and reread her post and let's face it folks, she's right about RCCL. The food is not what it used to be. I'm forty years old and can remember when RCCL's food was great. Not gourmet, but very good. We did the Mariner this past April and the food was OK at best. Service wasn't all that great either. Ship was new, clean and very attractive. As for the production show, they stink. If you've seen one show, you've seen them all. They rarely change. If you've ever been to a show on Broadway or a pricey show in Vegas, the RCCL singers and dancers are laughable.

Flame away, I'm only stating my opinion. But, it seem my opinion is becoming more peoples opinion also.

[SIZE=5]S[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
It is pretty hard to flame you. We were on Mariner in April and she is a beautiful ship. Give me a ship and the ocean and I'm a happy guy. But the service in the dining room was not up to par with Explorer the year before. Roles were cold at dinner, the baked Alaska was not "baked" and nothing more than a slab of ice cream with cold (or stale) cake on either end. There is less variety in the Windjammer. The first production show was ok and the second was the worst thing I have ever seen. I walked out on one comic. And our cabin was made up much later in the day than ever before.

Folks, don't bother flaming me. We had a great week aboard her but I write the above just to verify that the experience of tmt9367 pretty much matched ours. I could also write volumes about the things that I do like about RCI's ships. For me, food is not the highlight of a cruise.

I missed a lot last night, didn't I? This thread is better than a Hallmark commercial. I need a tissue.....

You RCI'ers that have "flamed" and then re-posted with kinder words for Sunny Bunny are class acts.

Have a great Thursday!

MTS- No grimmaces, just smiles....:)

Gary

[quote name='tmt9367']Here's something people that have been around here awhile have missed. Doesn't the OP's "web voice " sound familiar?? It does to me. I've read all HER posts and I'll swear I've heard her before going by a different name. I'll bet she's from Conneticut. :D

I find the observations of RCCL to be almost exactly what we've experienced on RCCL. (We're Platinum members)

[SIZE=5]S[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Oh,Shaun..Don't be so hard on Mrs N.Looks like you have undergone a new identity as well.And while I agree with the OP's review as well,your about as Platinum as I am Brittaney Spears....

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Sunny Bunny, [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]I'm very happy that you returned to this thread and took the time to respond as you did. I was afraid that after the first two pages you would leave to never return to this board, and I wouldn't have blamed you for doing so. You've got a ton of character and I'm glad you did. [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000][/color][/size][/font][/i]

I too sailed on the Serenade last May in Hawaii and LOVED it. No, the food in the dining room was never GREAT, and never hot, but it was good. The food in Chops and Portofino was outstanding in my opinion and we went to each twice. The Ship imo had the best looking interior spaces of any I've sailed on after 40 cruises and our Owners Suite was wonderful! Maritza in the Concierge lounge could not have been better and the service we had in general was excellent. Sunny Bunny, it sounds like you might have had a better, different experience if you had gone with a deluxe accomodation that come with Concierge service. It certainly made a BIG difference for us. We prefer to sail in good suites on RCI than one of the very upscale lines like Crystal, Silversea etc as we enjoy the big ship experience and diversity of people and activities. We knew going in that RCI is not going to have the same type of cuisine as one of these lines, or even Celebrity (which we also enjoy), but the ship, decor, activiities, fellow guests and super accomodations more than made up for it. I had to cringe, though, when I read your description of some passengers. Taking 10 or more boxes of cereal and raiding the tea stocks is just plain piggish and rude. I have to wonder, did they come on a cruise to do their grocery shopping for free??

[quote name='stretch'][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Sunny Bunny, [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]I'm very happy that you returned to this thread and took the time to respond as you did. I was afraid that after the first two pages you would leave to never return to this board, and I wouldn't have blamed you for doing so. You've got a ton of character and I'm glad you did. [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[/QUOTE]I agree. Thank you SB for posting your opinion - and in a way that tried to give people a frame of reference for the food served onboard. Happy sails - whatever line you choose next...

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Do I hear someone singing Kumbaya? :confused: :D I think I am going to be sick!:D

jc[/QUOTE]
Wait, I'll go grab my guitar. :)

I would like to point out that on treads, too numerous to count, that when people have had something negative to say the respose is typically why don't you back up your thoughts with examples. Well, the OP did exaclty that but sometimes you simply can't win around here. And when you are winning someone will most assuredly post something that causes the tread to get yanked. :D

[quote name='Sunny Bunny']Wallie,

If [b]EVERYONE[/b] knew as much as you assume they do, there would be no need for this forum. There are many people who believe RCCL is more than just "OK" as was witnessed on this thread. Personally, I believe RCCL is much more than OK. The service was outstanding, the ship was beautiful and the ease of travel uncomparable. While I agree the food was simply "ok", that was really the only aspect I found to be truly sub-par.[/QUOTE]
Sunny,
If you look and read my response it was only in regard to your comment about the food as far as Everyone Knowing. Nothing about the Ship or level of service. If you want to be completely read and understood, then turnabout would be nice.

[quote name='nosnobunny']My gosh, I go to bed last night fully expecting that would be the last I'd see of this thread. My faith in humanity has been restored. Now will someone please pass the tissues. I feel rather teary. :p

Beth[/QUOTE]
Yeah, your just sad it turned out nice! :D

I share your pain buddy!:D

kumbaya, my lord, kumbaya.....:D

jc

[quote name='crzcat']Oh,Shaun..Don't be so hard on Mrs N.Looks like you have undergone a new identity as well.And while I agree with the OP's review as well,your about as Platinum as I am Brittaney Spears....[/QUOTE]

How would you know if we're Platinum members or not? :confused: If you know something I don't, please let us all know. We're also Elite Captain's Club members on Celebrity. Or is that a lie also? :confused:

[SIZE=5]S[/SIZE]
PS: SunnyBunny IS NOT Mrs. N
PSS: Why are you still using your SIL screen name? Are you still living in Houston? Where have you been for the last 5 months?

I was on the same cruise as you, and not sure if I should be offended or just laugh. I may have been one of those people on the "buzz" you spoke of. My husband and I had a wonderful time because we saw so many great ports, saw every show (knowing that they were not Vegas or broadway performances), participated in every activity on the cruise possible (winning a blackjack tounament, coming second in a slots tournament, and having fun in the karaoke contest), as well as meeting some wonderful people at our dinner table.

I live by the motto, You can never please all of the people all of the time, and that helps us realize that we may not like everything on a vacation. This trip was the exception. We loved everything, especially the land/sea tour in St Lucia. We were on that same excursion, and I really hope we were not some of the people that you looked down upon during your trip.

[QUOTE][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=red]Cuisine (Rating - 5): The food in ALL VENUES (Windjammer, Seaview Café, Reflections Dining Room - including Chops and Portifino’s) in my opinion is mediocre at best. If an average dinner out to you involves casual chains like Boston Market, Wendy’s or Arby’s you will most likely classify the cuisine on board as excellent, maybe even gourmet. If your idea of a great night out to dinner is Outback Steakhouse, Chili’s, Friday’s or Olive Garden you will probably consider the food Good to Excellent. For those of us whose call food and wine their passion and don’t flinch at traveling to visit restaurants such as Olives (Todd English), French Laundry (Thomas Keller), Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay) – you will be sorely disappointed.[/color] [/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Sorry, but that statement is the one that urks me. What nerve. I live in NY and no offense to most of you who think you know Gourmet is, but most of you do NOT, unless you live here. And yes, I am a snob, but alas, not rich. I am over educated and can match wits with the best of you, but would not waste my time on some. But I have eaten in the best and worst restaurants and have a fairly refined palate. But I can and do eat at Arby's and the rest once in awhile for convenience, not a gourmet experience. And what is gourmet to some is slop to others.That statement is an insult, and no one can convince me it is not. And to say they expected gourmet food when you sail on less than Seabourne et al. is a downright lame excuse. No one who portrays themselves as sophisticated is that niave! I do not understand how you can confuse RCI with the upscale lines.
Not all of us can eat gourmet every day to say things like that is a rude thing, no matter the intention. And in my opinion the whole diatribe was meant to impress us, and also put us down if we even dared to like the food we had on RCI. I once ate in a upscale uptown restaurant and the portions were so small, we had to buy snacks before we say a play or we would not have made it through the entire show. I have lots of food experiences on all ends of the spectrum, and living in NY can and do have access to all types of cuisine.
And as for Celebrity, my son and his bride sailed with them and hated the food and the boring ship! So everything is subjective. And again the tone ,more than most of the content was the part that urked most of us.

And while my pals may think I am beating a dead horse.... some of us actually are busy and only get to this board infrequently:p

Archived