Swim Diapers - Help!

eliezra

Ok, before I actually ask my question, I would just like to preface it by saying I completely understand and agree with the “no swim diapers allowed” rule on cruise ships. So, here is my dilemma. I have two self-sufficient fully potty-trained toddlers (ages 2 and 3). We go swimming weekly, however, our pool requires any person under the age of 4 to wear a swim diaper, whether they are potty-trained or not.

This weekend we went swimming out of town to a pool that does not have this requirement. My boys refused to put their swimming suits on without a swim diaper. I assume they associate swimming with this attire. We would like to cruise in January on either NCL Spirit or Carnival Glory. Does anyone know if swim diapers are banned because non-potty-trained children should not be in the pools, or is there some sanitary side-effect from the actual swim diapers, or perhaps both?

I realize other cruise passengers will assume my children are not potty-trained if they are wearing a swim diaper under their swim suit. Any thoughts or suggestions? In an effort to get them used to wearing a suit without a swim diaper, I had a pool party in our bath tub last night. I guess they are smarter than I thought, they did not go for it!

Thanks in advance for anyhelp!

I'd start training them NOT to want to wear a swim diaper, if they don't need it! There's no sanitary problem with the diapers themselves, but if they're wearing them, they will be asked to leave the pool!

Just start getting them used to their bathing suit without the diaper! If you have a pool that you can use this time of year, and they want to go swimming, take them, but take no diapers. If they want to have fun, they'll have to go "au natuarel"!

And tell them, if they want to wear a diaper, they won't be allowed in the pool. They sound smart enough to understand the "cause and effect" thing!

Keep trying, you have time to resolve this. Tell them just like there are different rules in different places, there are rules for the pool where you live and rules for the pool on the ship.

Make it a game as best as you can. See who can get their swimsuits on as quickly as possible (w/o the diapers) and get into the tub. You're a mom; you can think of lots of diversionary tactics!

Have a "contest" where you say, "we are going to the ship's pool, let's see who can dress the right way for swimming on the ship" and then reverse it for your local pool. Give a little prize for the winner. It should take no time for them to learn.

Learning theory is a wonderful thing!

Keep trying, you have time to resolve this. Tell them just like there are different rules in different places, there are rules for the pool where you live and rules for the pool on the ship.

Make it a game as best as you can. See who can get their swimsuits on as quickly as possible (w/o the diapers) and get into the tub. You're a mom; you can think of lots of diversionary tactics!

Have a "contest" where you say, "we are going to the ship's pool, let's see who can dress the right way for swimming on the ship" and then reverse it for your local pool. Give a little prize for the winner. It should take no time for them to learn.

Learning theory is a wonderful thing!

Maybe I'm a bit more "old school" but they shouldn't have a choice and you shouldn't have to plead with them. Either they go without a swim diaper or they don't go. Period. End of stroy. I've taken a hard line with my 4 year old and he always gives in because he knows that he has no choice. It's actually made our lives easier because there isn't the constant pleading that I see so many parents going through. We actually have some friends that bribe their kids with lollypops for just everything.

Maybe I'm a bit more "old school" but they shouldn't have a choice and you shouldn't have to plead with them. Either they go without a swim diaper or they don't go. Period. End of stroy. I've taken a hard line with my 4 year old and he always gives in because he knows that he has no choice. It's actually made our lives easier because there isn't the constant pleading that I see so many parents going through. We actually have some friends that bribe their kids with lollypops for just everything.

I was going to say the EXACT same thing. :D

My 4 year old would eat me for breakfast if I let her bargain with me. ;) She is ruthless. And very stubborn. :p

If my kids (at that age) refused to go without a swim diaper then I would say fine "no swimming" and walk away...leaving them looking at my back...lol. I guarantee they would change their mind pretty fast.

My friend bribes her kids for everything from getting good grades on their tests in school to going to the kids club. It started when they were toddlers and it still continues on now that they are in the 3rd grade. I just don't have the patience for that kind of negotiations...lol.

So tell the kids "No deal!" and walk away. :p

Thanks to all for the variety of creative ideas and advice. I love the website that was provided. Also, thanks for the reminder of who's in charge. We do not bribe or bargain with our toddlers at home, so why would we change our technique on vacation!

I just want the boys to have as much fun as I have had on my all of 2 cruises! I also worry about disrupting others. I guess if they throw a fit when they get to the pool, we will just do what we always do, remove them from the situation and let them know the behavior is unacceptable, even on vacation ;)

Thanks to all for the variety of creative ideas and advice. I love the website that was provided. Also, thanks for the reminder of who's in charge. We do not bribe or bargain with our toddlers at home, so why would we change our technique on vacation!

I just want the boys to have as much fun as I have had on my all of 2 cruises! I also worry about disrupting others. I guess if they throw a fit when they get to the pool, we will just do what we always do, remove them from the situation and let them know the behavior is unacceptable, even on vacation ;)

Good mommy. :D You know they will have fun. I am sure they will be so excited to get in the pool that they will leave the diapers behind. :D

I was going to say the EXACT same thing. :D

My 4 year old would eat me for breakfast if I let her bargain with me. ;) She is ruthless. And very stubborn. :p

If my kids (at that age) refused to go without a swim diaper then I would say fine "no swimming" and walk away...leaving them looking at my back...lol. I guarantee they would change their mind pretty fast.

My friend bribes her kids for everything from getting good grades on their tests in school to going to the kids club. It started when they were toddlers and it still continues on now that they are in the 3rd grade. I just don't have the patience for that kind of negotiations...lol.

So tell the kids "No deal!" and walk away. :p

Your daughter and my son have the same spirit? You know the old saying give an inch, take a mile? Well, in his case, give an inch, he'll take 100 miles and then some. And oh, very stubborn too. Negootiations may be in his future becuase he's learning lessons right and left. Just last night, he lost a quarter from his allowance for misbehavior, something that he really doesn't like. He pleaded for another punishment for quite some time and that finally cost him another quarter. He learned last night an important lesson- stop when you're ahead. :D

You only charge a quarter? My family charged me $1 for each infraction. Didn't take me long to learn things in most cases.:p

Well, when you're 4 and your allowance is $4/week, a quarter is alot (6%) (or at least it seems like a to him). This is especially true with the cost of toys today. He typically saves for more than a month to get something that he wants, and I'm very proud of him for that. A couple of months ago he lost a quarter on allowance day nonetheless and that prevented him for getting the spring loaded lightsaber ($20) that he had been saving for (5 weeks). He had to wait another week so he knows that every cent counts! Of course, as he gets older and his allowance goes up, so will fines. But right now it works and keeps my little negotiator on the sidelines.

Archived