Alaskan Cruise

well...what would you like to know??? we did serenade (pix below...i think in webshots) and we went in September...it was chilly and wet almost every day.

(but according to various people we spoke with, that season-2006- wa rainier than usual)

try and get a balcony. fly in a couple days early.....if you leave from Vancouver, you can fly into either vancouver or seattle. we did seattle and took Amtrak (www.amtrakcascades.com) to vancouver....spent 2 days at the pan pacific hotel...gret to see ships...(but ours left from Ballantyne pier, not Canada place. ballantyne is a couple miles away-easy cab ride!)

if you have ???s fire away.....book EARLY though!

I've been to AK in early May and late August / early Sept. I vastly prefer the latter, but there's nothing wrong with late May. I will just not go any early than the 3rd week in May.

Personally, I didn't like May because there was so much snow. Last year, the meltoff was slow, and as a result, I was unable to hike in many of the places I like on the cruise ports.

Also, keep in mind that if you plan to visit Denali, you really won;t get too far into the park until late May / early June.

Alaska is great. I just highly suggest planning like crazy. There's a lot to learn and factor in to maximize your trip. IMO, excursions will really make your trip special. Absolutely consider independent operators - the tours are generally longer, with fewer people and less expensive. But the good ones go early. It's not too late to start booking now.

Click the link in my signature for pics and trip details. Also be sure to check the AK Port of Call board for great info.

It depends on what you want to see. The first time we went was in September (2005). We had beautiful weather, wore shorts, no rain whatsoever. I enjoyed it but a little part of me thought it was a lot like going to the Sierras.....beautiful snow capped mountains, lots of trees, glimpses of wildlife (ok, to be honest, we did see a mama bear and her two cubs when we were leaving Mendenhall Glacier, so that alone made it worth it).

This year we did the Ultimate Alaska cruise, which is the repositioning one (SF to Vancouver via Alaska) at the beginning of the season.....it began on May 3rd. I have to say I was knocked off my feet by the beauty of Alaska. I really felt that this was the TRUE Alaska, with all the snow and ice. It was cool, but not numbing. Out of 14 days we had light rain on two afternoons. Ended up in Vancouver in the midst of a heat wave....in the 90's there!!!

And May is when the whales migrate north, so we saw quite a few, along with sea otters and other creatures.

DH and I were on the Radiance northbound Vancouver to Seward which sailed this past August 29th. I highly recommend either the north or south bound cruises as you get to see more. We didn't add a cruisetour to see some of the inland of Alaska, but I wish we had.

Here are a bunch of links to my various webshots albums from Alaska. Hubbard Glacier was worth the entire cruise and was especially active with its calving the morning we were there.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567079535DiqVpp

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567051621HSmuWx

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567052204RYsIuP

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/568442589LxGzEU

Every month in Alaska is beautiful. I love Alaska. I was on that repositioning cruise and the weather was beautiful. I saw a completely different Alaska than I did when I went in September. Start planning now. Robin :eek:

We were in Alaska in late May/early June in 2005 and 2008. Temps and weather were vastly different. We saw a great deal more snow in 2008 than in 2005. Both times it was beautiful. We can't wait until we can afford to go again.

We saw many whales in Juneau/ISP/and Seward. The FISHES tour was the most personalized and the only people I had to try to get front row views was my family. I only wish we had booked the entire day with them. It went by way too fast.

Here are some of the pics from our cruise:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Nancynursepics

I am looking at taking an Alaskan Cruise in late May. Would like some input from past Alaskan cruisers would this time be feasible and what to expect then. Any info or pics Id appreciate.

we are dia+ and just took our first Alaska cruise this last may 08. First of all it was so way more beautiful than I ever imagined. We took a cruise tour and while on that tour never wore our jackets, it was shirt sleeve weather the whole time and we are from SoCal so we are not used to cold weather. The cruise was south bound from Seward to Vancouver. It was a little cold and misty most days aboard the ship and in the ports, but we LOVED it!! we never get weather at home so the cold wet was an adventure in itself.

We planned and researched what and where we wanted to go, we finally booked our trip then changed it twice and now wish we had done more, so there is no right answer to what to do. Try to do the top things on your list and plan another trip to Alaska to do the others because it is a huge state and there are a hundred tours in each port, so dont stress too much and when you do plan on a tour go with it and do not regret it as it will be the trip of a lifetime.

We have cruised both in May & Sept. Cool and snow in May; wet and cool in Sept. The down side any cruise is only one day in each port. After losing my job in Jan, my DW and I decided to spend the entire summer traveling throughout all of Alaska in our motorhome. Now that was a trip! 15,000 miles from New Hampshire to the Arctic Ocean and then to Valdez and everything in between. But back to your situation, cruise anytime, get a balcony and lots of memory for your camera.

I've been twice near the end of May/early June and once in September and preferred the earlier time. Of course, part of this had to do with the all the rain last September - again, last year was supposed to have been rainier than usual. It rained in Juneau on all three trips. It rained in Skagway the first trip (which meant that when we took the train ride, it was snowing up at the top and it was truly beautiful!), there was no rain the second time and some showers the last time.

I guess you just have to get lucky.

I went the last week of May this year and we had absolutely perfect weather. Mid 70s and sunny for almost the entire cruise. Yes, there was still snow on the ground in places but we loved that.

The only issue we had was it was too early to make it all the way into Tracy Arm to see the Sawyer Glaciers due to the ice pack.

I loved it so much I'm going back almost the same week next year.

DSCF2165.jpg

Alaska in Sept

DSCF4476.jpg

Alaska in May

I wouldn't go in early May if you want to see wildlife, nor too late in Sept

As soon as the salmon start running seems to be the best time if you want to see lots of bears and eagles. Sept-the weather was great and the rivers were TEAMING with dying humpies. The bears would just wander down to the bank, stick in a paw, and scoop up 2 or 3 humpies for lunch-wild!

We have been twice. First time was the first week of June and in '07 was the 3rd week of May. I liked June better because we got to sail closer to the glacier and there was more wildlife. AK is absolutely wonderful and anytime of the summer that you go will be inbelievable!

There are pics down in my signature. We did the helicopter to the glacier w/dog sledding and the floatplane to Misty Fjords. The excursions are very expensive, but they are a once in a lifetime adventure, so spend the $$!!

You may never be back there again.

Archived