FYI...Credit card hold to cover shipboard account

DFD1

I know some here consider it bad taste to talk about money, but others may find this of some value...

While ordering a stateroom birthday package for some friends today, I asked the ship services rep about using a debit card to cover the shipboard account rather than a credit card. She advised that either would be acceptable (as I guessed) and further advised that HAL puts a hold on the card for $l0 per person per day for gratutities plus $60 per person per day for purchases. Total of $70 per person per day......$490.00 per person for 7 day cruise, $700.00 for 10 day cruise.

While it is not an issue with us, I seemed to remember that this amount was larger than that discussed on this forum some time ago. Curious.

FYI

Thanks for this posting. All of us need to deal with the realities of cruising from time to time. I really stress cruise budgeting to my clients. Being prepared does not put a damper on a vacation. Actually, having a proper budget can allow cruisers a sense of freedom that they might not have without discussion of the basics.

Yes, its true. Best I recall it used to be aroud $50.00 per person per day. It was probably a few years ago that the hold increased. Then when the "optional mandatory" tips went in, that $10.00 ppp was added to the hold.

Depending on your spending habits during the cruise, the hold can be increased. For instance, if you make a $500.00 purchase in the botique the first day or two, or book $$$$ worth of shore excursions, the hold amount will be adjusted to reflect those purchases.

Haven't looked lately, but the HAL web site used to indicate the hold amounts. Maybe it could also be in their brochures.....

Happy cruising....

I ran into this problem on my last HAL cruise. It was for seven days, and there were 4 people on my card. My wife and two daughters. On the first day at sea I received a notice that my credit card was insufficient to cover my charges, no explanation given. Since we were on our first day of the cruise, I thought this unusual. At the first port, I went ashore, purcased a calling card, and called my bank to make sure of my balance. Everything was OK with my card. I then talked to the customer service desk onboard and found out about this policy. 4 x $490 = $1960. I knew that I did not plan on spending this much, but HAL had their own ideas. I was advised to take my daughters off my card and put them on a different one. Rather than have them tie up two cards, I just ignored them. Every day a note would appear on my door and every day I would advise the front desk that my card was sufficient to handle my purchases. This went on throughout the cruise, but at no time were onboard purchases interfered with. $2000 reserve for one week in a floating hotel seems a bit stiff. I wouldn't tolerate this on land. If they need the money that badly, they can ask me for a loan. Other than this small item I enjoyed the cruise and will sail HAL again.

Car rental companies do this all of the time.

It is usually better to use a credit card with a high limit than a debit card. Why tie up your own money? I know lots of people don't like to charge stuff, but if you pay it off at the end of every month, you don't get stuck with interest charges.

Roberta

From Hal's web site:

Shipboard Account

Our cashless society is designed to make your life on board as simple as possible. When you board the ship, your account has already been activated and you may make purchases by simply showing your guest identification card and signing a receipt. On embarkation day, you will need to register your credit or debit card (Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, Discover®) in order to use your onboard account for shipboard purchases. Your card will be pre-authorized for USD$60 per person for each day of your cruise. At the end of your cruise, you will receive a final statement, and your card will be charged only for the actual amount of your purchases. Please inform your credit or debit card issuer in advance that your card will be used on a Holland America ship. This will help prevent delays in obtaining pre-authorization on board. Some banks may keep the pre-authorization in place for up to 30 days. If you do not want to use a credit or debit card, the ship will collect a cash deposit from you at time of boarding in the same pre-authorization amount. Any excess deposit will be refunded to you at the end of the cruise. Traveler’s checks may be cashed at the front office to make your deposit. Personal checks are not accepted on board.

... I wouldn't tolerate this on land. If they need the money that badly, they can ask me for a loan.

But of course you do tolerate this on land, but maybe just aren't aware of it. Car rental agencies, hotels, online purchases, retail stores- all are pre-authorizing your purchases w/ your cc company and are guaranteed payment before you get the merchandise or service.

HAL is NOT getting $$$$ from you before you charge something, but they are getting a guarantee from your credit card company that the $$$$ is there and being held for them if and when you actually do charge something. Why should any pax be able to consume a product (shore excursions, drinks) or walk off with merchandise from the ship's stores without HAL being guaranteed payment? HAL has to pre-authorize what they have found to be average or typical purchases pp to cover themselves, as each purchase on the ship is not authorized individually as it is made. That would be chaos if every purchase by every pax was authorized at the time it occured.

I fully agree with Peaches. Our 17 days in Dec will require a hold of over $2000 and I am quite happy with this, at least it won`t be my name or cabin number they are calling out on the last day!! Imagine the cost on the world cruise!!....jean :cool:

But of course you do tolerate this on land, but maybe just aren't aware of it. Car rental agencies, hotels, online purchases, retail stores- all are pre-authorizing your purchases w/ your cc company and are guaranteed payment before you get the merchandise or service.
Whenever you check into a hotel, your total room charge plus an allowance is removed from your credit card credit line. Whenever you rent a car, the same occurs plus a reserve for damage. That's why many car rental places have stopped accepting debit cards. No charges are ever made until actually incurred.

An insufficient credit line should not be a problem for those who cruise. If it is...well...

Archived