Elimination Of Fuel Supplement Charges

Sharicruz

PRESTIGE CRUISE HOLDINGS ANNOUNCES ELIMINATION OF FUEL SUPPLEMENT CHARGES Fuel Supplement Charges to be Removed From All 2009 Voyages for Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

MIAMI, December 8, 2008 – Prestige Cruise Holdings, parent company of Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises, has announced that fuel supplement charges will be eliminated from all voyages departing in 2009. PCH had previously announced that fuel supplement charges for 2010 voyages would be eliminated effective November 10, 2008.

Frank Del Rio, chairman of Prestige Cruise Holdings, stated that the company was eliminating these charges due to the dramatic decrease in the price of crude oil. “As the price of oil has tumbled into the low $40 range, we can now eliminate the fuel surcharge on all 2009 voyages and as long as the price remains below $65 per barrel, we are confident that we will not require a surcharge in the future,” he added.

The fuel supplement charge will be removed from reservations for all 2009 voyages at the time of final payment. Guests who have already paid in full for their 2009 voyage will be issued a shipboard credit equal to the fuel supplement charge they were assessed.

Prestige Cruise Holdings will continue to monitor the price of fuel and retains the right to reinstate the fuel supplement charge at any time should market conditions warrant.

Shari

CCC Member

Yahoo, some good news for a change. Now if the Canadian dollar could do some more rallying....

Funny, a few years ago, I remember coming to FL (where I am right now) and hardly batting an eye about paying $1.60 to get an AM Dollar. Now we've been spoiled after the last year, and it's driving me CRAZY to pay $1.25-$1.30!

Thanks, Shari for posting this CC news item here. We all look forward to saving the money.

On a slightly related subject, it was also announced this morning that NCL is paying a 100 Million EURO PENALTY to the STX ship yard because they are cancelling one of a pair of newbuilds.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2971

Ad_67_11.jpg

Shockingly, there has not been one post about it yet on the NCL boards, as of this writing (4pm EST).

Imagine......a hundred million, and it has not made a ripple.....

Shari,thanks for the update.

Does anyone know how much the fuel surcharge would have been for a 12 night Med. cruise. We sail in May '09 and I'm just wondering how much will be taken off of our final bill.

Does anyone know how much the fuel surcharge would have been for a 12 night Med. cruise. We sail in May '09 and I'm just wondering how much will be taken off of our final bill.

It depends when you booked the sailing. You should be able to see the cruise ship fuel surcharges on your invoice.

Shari

CCC Member

The elimination of the surcharges is great, but it's a shame they picked a date in the future. We sail on Dec 20 and apparently will pay the surcharges, even though fuel prices have already lowered. Those sailing on the return route on Jan 5 will not pay the fee, even though fuel prices will likely be the same as on our cruise. It would have been great if they had made it effective immediately, or at least held the announcement until 2009, so I wouldn't be sailing with the knowledge that I'm paying $224 for nothing...

I think I read about $350 for our 12 day trip in MY 2009

In March, the surcharge for 2009 was $7 per person per day

Yes it was, we booked our '09 cruise that month. Sometime around July, however, it was increased to $15 per person per day, which works out to be $360 for a couple on a 12 day cruise.

We had been happy that we booked early, because the raise to $15 was not retroactive, however, paying nothing is better (sorry Don!)

Incidentally, you're not paying $224 for nothing. Cruise ships (even small cruise ships) don't "pay at the pump". They buy fuel through a complex system which is very like the futures market. I imagine they're still trying to burn off the expensive fuel so that they can buy a new contract at a more attractive price.

Of course, the ride that $100 a barrel oil gives, is very similar to the ride that you get from the $40 stuff........but next time you might be on the lucky side of the equation.

As the old song says "Many a tear has to fall, but it's all, in the game"

And if Athens is still burning, next June, I'll be doing plenty of crying myself!

Our invoice states that the fuel surcharge for each per on our 12 day cruise is $120 so $240 for the two of us should be takeb off the invoice.

And if Athens is still burning, next June, I'll be doing plenty of crying myself!

Boo to you for this flip, seemingly callous, off-topic comment. IMO, extremely insensitive to the shopkeepers and others in Athens who truly are suffering.

The comment wasn't flip or callous.Just the truth. Too bad European police forces can't or won't reign in the crazies. How long do you think that would go on here in the U.S. Then again, I can think of several places that it could happen and has happened!

If you happen to fall into the catagory of making your final payment after Oceania's 12-8-08 announcement, DO check after your final payment is made to be sure that the fuel charges have indeed been removed...in our case they were not. However, after a quick call to customer service a credit was promptly applied and refunded for the initial overcharge.

Kathleen

Archived