Burbank Airport to San Pedro Pier

jff50

I hope you're really saving a lot on your flight as you're not coming from the most efficient place to fly in for a cruise (involves several freeways). Unless you're coming in a couple of days before, and planning to do things in the Valley (Universal Studios, City Walk, Warner or NBC tours) or Hollywood, I wouldn't welcome Burbank airport just to get to the ports. Any transportation to the ports will cost plenty.

I hope you're really saving a lot on your flight as you're not coming from the most efficient place to fly in for a cruise (involves several freeways). Unless you're coming in a couple of days before' date=' and planning to do things in the Valley (Universal Studios, City Walk, Warner or NBC tours) or Hollywood, I wouldn't welcome Burbank airport just to get to the ports. Any transportation to the ports will cost plenty.[/quote']

Looking at airfare of about $200 to/from Burbank for 3 of us (as opposed to about $350 to/from LAX). Will probably have an extra day on both ends. Thinking of spending the night before the cruise in San Pedro/Long Beach and the day after in the valley. Thinking of getting a rental car for a day each on both ends (pick up at Burbank and drop off in Long Beach on the front end, and vice versa on the back end). I lived in LA for over 25 years (a lot of it in the valley), and think that I will be able to find my way around.

• 2 months later...

can i ask who did you end up booking with? We to are flying into Burbank day before cruise and with 10 of us and a savings of aprox. 170 per ticket it was well worth it but just trying to figure out for sure who/which car/shuttle company to use. looking for input. thanks

Just a note with this thread still hanging around...

Flying in to Burbank is NOT as terrible and option as some would have you think...

It is around 38 miles to the pier in San Pedro--which is actually only slightly farther than John Wayne (OC) Airport that many people seem to like...

And there are NOT "several Freeways" needed to get to the port (Sorry, Patty)...It's actually a fairly straight shot--5 south a very short way to the 110 South and straight to San Pedro...

If there's a problem with the drive, it's that you have to go directly through Downtown Los Angeles--which can mean traffic, especially if it's done on a work day...

The benefits to Burbank, aside from possible lower airfares, include the fact that the airport is very compact and easy to navigate...It's a fraction of the size of LAX ...and smaller thn every other LA area commercial airport--except for Long Beach...There is but one terminal...with a handful of gates to either side of the main entrance...You can walk from one end to the other in a few minutes and check-in and security lines are never very long at all...

Yes, it will cost a bit more for a shuttle or taxi from Burbank to the port than it would from LAX or Long Beach...

Using PrimeTime Shuttle as a measure (only because it's easier to get a quick quote on their website), to the San Pedro Cruise Terminal for two people in a shared van...

...from Burbank=$75

...from John Wayne=$45

...from Long Beach=$35

...from LAX=$32

Obviously, it doesn't work by distance...as Long Beach irport is CLOSER than LAX, 15 miles vs. 20...and John Wayne and Burbank are both fairly similar in distance, 34+ miles vs. 37+ miles...I think it hs more to dio with the volumes at the airports and how well they fill the vans...

I used this site to try to find taxi fares:

http://la.taxiwiz.com/

To the San Pedro Cruise Terminal for a taxi...

...from Burbank=

That cab ride would cost about $98.55. That is roughly $113 with a 15% tip. It is about 37.6 miles.

...from John Wayne=

That cab ride would cost about $89.80. That is roughly $103 with a 15% tip. It is about 34.5 miles.

...from Long Beach=

That cab ride would cost about $41.50. That is roughly $48 with a 15% tip. It is about 14.7 miles.

...from LAX=

That cab ride would cost about $53.76. That is roughly $62 with a 15% tip. It is about 19.8 miles.

So, there you have it...Flying into Burbank over LAX will cost you approximately $40 more each way for two people in a shuttle, not counting tips...and $45 more for a taxi, not counting tips...

It will likely take you an extra half an hour or so in each direction, depending on time and day...but you will make that up in the lack of lines for check-in and security and the wait for luggage...and walking through the terminal...

And, yes, if you are spending any pre- or post-cruise time in Hollywood/Universal/Burbank, then it really makes a lot of sense...

So, no, Burbank is really not that bad of an option at all...especially if you save a lot on airfare...

Oh, and vbecky, with ten of you, I would just contact some shuttle companies (Super Shuttle, Prime Time...perhaps)...and ask them for a quote for transporting the ten of you with luggage...You may get a good rate...

Good luck...

thanks so much for your input you actually made me feel a little more at ease. there is 10 of us and I booked a 15 pass. van with a company called limos at your service, you by chance haven't heard of them have you? Thanks again.

thanks so much for your input you actually made me feel a little more at ease. there is 10 of us and I booked a 15 pass. van with a company called limos at your service, you by chance haven't heard of them have you? Thanks again.

I don't know the company...There must be hundreds of limo companies here in LA...You've seen all the celebs arriving at various awards shows here by limo...this must be the limo capital of the world...

Anyway, the fact that it's a van is a good thing...

We once booked a "10 passenger" limo for a ride to the pier in Pedro...for SEVEN of us...and it was TIGHT...Problem was that although they "stretch" the passenger compartment, the trunk for the luggage is really just the trunk for a standard car...But a van should have plenty of room...and they can always use those xtra five seats...

I second thanks to Bruin Steve for his upbeat description of Burbank. We saved a fair amount of $$ and the flight times were better so we went this route also.

After much research, I booked Supershuttle. Shared van. I used Code SUR08 and got a little bit of a discount (8.25). The cost was $55.00 for first person and $9 for each additional (there are 4 of us). Then they add on a 18% tip for driver so total for 4 less discount came to around $95 (give or take a buck, can't remember the tip amount exactly). I booked this today. I had to type in the address to the pier to be able to generate the quote which is 231 Windsor Way Long Beach, 90802.

Good luck:)

Archived