Service animals on NCL cruises-ADA disability

imollyq

I don't have your answers, but I see you are a first time poster (welcome to cruise critic) so I am going to point you to the section of the board on special interest cruising, I believe. There is a section dedicated to special needs cruising and a HUGE thread on traveling with a service dog. Perhaps someone from there can help you.

I have found the special needs department at NCL to be quite informative. Have you tried:

accessdesk@ncl.com

Here's a link to the service dog thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585728

Good Luck

I remember in our cruise to Alaska on the Pearl in June 2007 there was a woman with a service dog, so I know it has been done in the past. Have no idea on the current criteria, though, but I can't imagine that they wouldn't allow it.

I remember in our cruise to Alaska on the Pearl in June 2007 there was a woman with a service dog, so I know it has been done in the past. Have no idea on the current criteria, though, but I can't imagine that they wouldn't allow it.

They cannot not allow it. as stated in the other post there is an extensive thread and also FAQ info on the disability site here at Cruise critic.

There is even a review from the Dog's perspective that is very clever and very well written.

Hi, Has anyone had experience with a service dog or other service animal on NCL? I am having problems with their disability services department. Please advise. Thanks!

Since NCL allows service animals(such as dogs) there must be more to the story here...what is the story and what are they telling you....

and BTW the US Supreme Court says the ADA applies to cruise ship but the key is reasonable accommodation....

• Administrators
Since NCL allows service animals(such as dogs) there must be more to the story here...what is the story and what are they telling you....

and BTW the US Supreme Court says the ADA applies to cruise ship but the key is reasonable accommodation....

There is more to the story, of course. :) Check out the Wizard-of-Roz's thread here at CC for more info -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585728&page=49

Roz is basically the web guru on service dog travel by cruise ship, and is a vocal and passionate advocate.

I'm glad the OP on this thread did visit that thread, but from what she posted this may not be an ADA issue (the OP wants to sail from Spain within Europe), plus she has a history with her service dog with NCL (or maybe it's service dogs? It's unclear from the post what number of small service dog(s) she wants to take along, but she refers to several "small dogs").

There's almost always a "rest of the story" isn't there? :)

one more point for the US ADA to apply there has to be some US contact. If an non US flagged ship is traveling between Spaid and England it probably means that the US ADA doesn't apply. This issue sounds more complicated than the poster implies but we won't know unless they tell us more.

I would sincerely hope and believe that NCL allows service dogs. If not, unless there is a safety issue, I would be disappointed. I don't know about anyone else, but I hate being around a service dog because they are always so sweet and cute and loveable that it is all I can do to not love on them, which of course is a no no. Or at least that is what I have been told. Of course I would rather exercise self control than someone not be able to cruise...but it is so hard when it comes to those sweet puppy faces.. 8-)

Is it possible that one or more of the ports will not allow animals to leave the ship? I remember a couple of times when members have talked about ports where they are required not only keep their service animal on the ship but actually are not allowed to leave their cabin while the ship is at the specific port due to local laws. Is it possible that the itinerary will not allow for the vet check that is required for some countries? I know that some require vet checks be done within 24 hours before arrival. Is it possible the the final disembarkation port is not Spain, but is the UK (which I know has very strict quarantine laws) or another country with similar restrictions? These other countries are not bound by US ADA laws to allow animals, not even service animals, to enter without following their strict regulations and procedures. Is it possible that NCL has had more issues with these specific service dogs than just an instance where a crew member took one on a walk around the deck? We really don't have the story or know exactly how many dogs are involved.

(As I don't know the itinerary or specific issues, I'm just throwing out possibilities that come to mind.)

beachchick

• 4 years later...

I have been on Princess and no problem. I am trying to get all paper work done on NCL now and its a nightmare. I am having to jump through so many hoops I am frustrated and tired of the whole thing. I wish I had never signed up for the cruise!

NCL might be tightening up their paperwork because of those people who can’t leave fido at home and lie that they are service animals. I’ve read horror stories on cruise critic about people having dogs on chairs in the MDR eating off the dishes (I have a dog and this is still gross to me). These type of people make it difficult for those people, like the OP (I’m guessing) who really needs their service dog to perform a legitimate task for them.

Here is the ADA definition of what a service animal is (note, the cruise line can ask why task it performs): Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

There was a lady where I live that kept bringing her dog to restaurants saying it was a service dog. Well, she eventually got caught and had to pay a big fine. It is really sad that there are such selfish people around who make it hard for others. Shame on people like this!

Good luck to the OP, I know it might be frustrating, but after it is all done and you and your service dog are onboard, it will all have been worth it.

Question for the OP, has your dog ever had an aggression problem or made a potty mistake on NCL? If so, they unfortunately can say the dog is not allowed on their ships. Those are ADA rules.

I was on the Golden Princess ( sorry not NCL) last December and there were at least 10 service dogs for that 14 day Hawaii Cruise. I was told they had a special area on a lower deck for the dogs to go potty. We even saw a few crew members taking care of the dogs while the owners were having dinner. They gave a few lecture during the cruise also, but since I am deaf, I did not go.

Well, that answers my question.

Cruise lines differ on where the dogs potty. Some have litter boxes and some have small pieces of grass. Some of the litter boxes are kept on the passenger's balcony if they have one.

Also, sorry I didn't notice that this was a very old thread. And BTW, the OP did have a problem with NCL and her dog having a mistake and it was banned from NCL. Also, the OP takes two small dogs on her trips.

I have seen SD (question) who bark, cry, growl, potty on the floor etc. That is not a trained service animal. My dog does not make a sound, you would never know she is even in the room. She would not consider going potty on the floor. I did get paper work from NCL and they mentioned not allowing the dog to sit on a chair at the table and eat off the dishes. I can't imagine anyone would allow their service dog to eat from the table. I guess that has happened in the past so they state it up front it won't be allowed. Not a problem, that is distasteful. I have a small Medical Alert dog and it is trained to sit on the booth beside me, on a chair, or in my lap. It is difficult to put her under the table or on the floor as so many people have not seen her and tripped on her, stepped on her, hurt her. She doesn't like being on the floor with all the legs, shoes, etc. especially men with their big, hard shoes on. I will have to bring a small crate to put her in during dinner I guess. I don't like doing that because she needs to be near me, with me not on the floor in order to work as a medical alert. How can she do her job from a crate on the floor. I don't need her to work during dinner as long as my husband is with me, he will be there and that is OK. However, if I have to go eat alone I will need her with me. I guess I can stay in the room and bring food in. I don't allow her to eat from dishes, forks, spoons etc. She eats in the room from her own dish. She does not eat people food, ever. Its so bad for them I can't imagine giving her people food. I will work that dinner experience out. My husband will have to step up and eat every meal with me. Yeah!

They cannot not allow it. as stated in the other post there is an extensive thread and also FAQ info on the disability site here at Cruise critic.

There is even a review from the Dog's perspective that is very clever and very well written.

Yes they do allow Service Animals on the cruise ships. I do not know what you have to do to prove the dog is certified but we were on a cruise 2 weeks ago and a lady had one. I have no idea why she needed it and did not ask, but the dog was there.

Yes there has been quite a bit of discussion here on CC about service animals and what they can and can not do. No the dog can not sit on top of the dining room table but can sit beside its owner/friend during dinner.

Just give the special needs department a call. Im sure they can advise you on what they require

Best of luck and hope you have a great cruise

I have seen SD (question) who bark, cry, growl, potty on the floor etc. That is not a trained service animal. My dog does not make a sound, you would never know she is even in the room. She would not consider going potty on the floor. I did get paper work from NCL and they mentioned not allowing the dog to sit on a chair at the table and eat off the dishes. I can't imagine anyone would allow their service dog to eat from the table. I guess that has happened in the past so they state it up front it won't be allowed. Not a problem, that is distasteful. I have a small Medical Alert dog and it is trained to sit on the booth beside me, on a chair, or in my lap. It is difficult to put her under the table or on the floor as so many people have not seen her and tripped on her, stepped on her, hurt her. She doesn't like being on the floor with all the legs, shoes, etc. especially men with their big, hard shoes on. I will have to bring a small crate to put her in during dinner I guess. I don't like doing that because she needs to be near me, with me not on the floor in order to work as a medical alert. How can she do her job from a crate on the floor. I don't need her to work during dinner as long as my husband is with me, he will be there and that is OK. However, if I have to go eat alone I will need her with me. I guess I can stay in the room and bring food in. I don't allow her to eat from dishes, forks, spoons etc. She eats in the room from her own dish. She does not eat people food, ever. Its so bad for them I can't imagine giving her people food. I will work that dinner experience out. My husband will have to step up and eat every meal with me. Yeah!

A friend has a seizure alert dog. She is very small, but she has been taught to sit on the floor between my friends legs while she is having dinner or at the movies, etc. It works really well. Don't stay in your room, I'm sure your dog will do quite well on the floor as long as she can be right next to you; just make sure she is in front of your chair so no one can step on her. I'm sure you can understand why they don't allow dogs on the furniture in public places.

I was surprised to see a very small dog in a carrier on the elevator of the Sun during our May cruise. The type with the hair tied up in a bow on top of the head. Don't flame me, I do love dogs, and it was cute as a button, but I don't know how this dog had enough brains to be able to assist anyone with anything. But there they were, so I guess they were approved for a reason.

I know there are definite needs for service dogs by many people for many reasons but this thread reminds me of a conversation I overheard last weekend. A woman was talking about friends visiting them from Hawaii and that their dog loved playing with her dog.

The other person asked if there had been any hassles bringing a dog from Hawaii. Her response was, "Not at all. They (the friends) simply had him certified as a service dog so he could even fly with in the cabin and can always go in restaurants and everything."

I almost choked because the tone was that they "got" the certification simply to keep the dog (pet ... not service/therapy) with them, not for any true need. Made me wonder how easy it might be to "con" the system.

Rates up there with people who park in handicapped places just for convenience when those who need it have to walk further.

I know there are definite needs for service dogs by many people for many reasons but this thread reminds me of a conversation I overheard last weekend. A woman was talking about friends visiting them from Hawaii and that their dog loved playing with her dog.

The other person asked if there had been any hassles bringing a dog from Hawaii. Her response was, "Not at all. They (the friends) simply had him certified as a service dog so he could even fly with in the cabin and can always go in restaurants and everything."

I almost choked because the tone was that they "got" the certification simply to keep the dog (pet ... not service/therapy) with them, not for any true need. Made me wonder how easy it might be to "con" the system.

Rates up there with people who park in handicapped places just for convenience when those who need it have to walk further.

for the ADA, there is no certification process or rules. Owners just buy a vest that typically comes with an "ID Card", neither of which have any legal impact. The vest seems to satisfy many businesses and probably cuts down on the discussions. Anyone can buy these items.

http://www.freemypaws.com/for-service-animals.html

And this ruins it for those that truly do have a service dog that performs much needed tasks. I am a dog lover, but i would never fake that one of mine was a service dog just to bring them everywhere. It is a disgrace what many people are doing.

Archived