Port of New York Questions ?

mr jailerman

Hi Guys.. I was wondering a few things about my New York to Canada cruise for next summer as I have NEVER been to New York ? #1. If I do self assist and walk my own bags off would I be OK with a 12:45pm flight back to Chicago ? #2. Which airport is closer to the Port ? #3. I see that Carnival wants to charge me $160.00 round trip for a shuttle bus for myself and son (He's 9)from a couple different airports to the Port and back. Would it be cheaper to take a Cab (Set Rates ?) and last #4. How good is the V.I.P Boarding at the Port as I have booked a Cat 11 for this trip ? Thank You VERY much for your time to answer these and have a GREAT day !! :D

Hi Guys.. I was wondering a few things about my New York to Canada cruise for next summer as I have NEVER been to New York ? #1. If I do self assist and walk my own bags off would I be OK with a 12:45pm flight back to Chicago ? #2. Which airport is closer to the Port ? #3. I see that Carnival wants to charge me $160.00 round trip for a shuttle bus for myself and son (He's 9)from a couple different airports to the Port and back. Would it be cheaper to take a Cab (Set Rates ?) and last #4. How good is the V.I.P Boarding at the Port as I have booked a Cat 11 for this trip ? Thank You VERY much for your time to answer these and have a GREAT day !! :D

WOW thats a lot to answer.

#1 flight should be ok. #2 all about the same. CCL i think only does transfers from EWR and LGA. Cab may be cheaper but if your stuck in traffic NO. VIP boarding seems to be quick. Never had much problem from NY.

I'm sure others can give you better details.

Newark Airport in NJ is actually the closest to the pier, as it will bringyou to the west side where the pier is. JFK and LaGuardia will bring you to the east side, and then you'll have to go cross town.

A flight that early can be cutting it close. NY traffic is always a bear. I would go for a later flight if possible.

DH and I took a cruise out of NYC a few years ago, and it was absolutely impossible to get a cab when we got off the ship. After waiting in the cab line for a couple hours, we saw a car service dropping a couple off and bargained with the driver for a ride. I think we ended up paying about $80. I would book the Carnival shuttle bus if you can.

I can tell you the VIP boarding is great and comes in handy!

Actually Laguardia is a bit closer.. Realize if you travel through Newark Airport you have to go through the tunnels and on the NJ Turnpike..As someone who lived in NJ and NYC - I would rather deal with Laguardia.

There is a flat fee of $45 plus tolls only from JFK to Manhattan-

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/faq_pass.shtml#15

Newark International Airport

- The set fare from New York City to Newark International Airport is the regular metered rate of fare, plus a $15.00 surcharge, plus all tolls going to and returning from the airport.

John F. Kennedy International Airport

- The TLC has established a "Flat Fare" program for trips to and from JFK and Manhattan. The flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls. There is no set fare to or from JFK to any point in New York City outside of Manhattan, and the metered rate applies.

LaGuardia International Airport

- There is no set fare for trips to and from LaGuardia International Airport. The regular metered rate of fare, as is displayed below, applies in all cases.

Metered Rate of Fare

$2.50 upon entry

$.40 for each additional unit

$.40 per 60 seconds of waiting time

$.50 night surcharge after 8:00PM and prior to 6:00AM

$1.00 Peak Hour Surcharge in effect 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., Monday-Friday

The unit of fare is:

One-fifth of a mile, when the taxicab is traveling at 6 miles per hour or more; or 120 seconds (at a rate of twenty cents per minute), when the taxicab is not in motion or is traveling at less than 6 miles per hour.

The taximeter shall combine fractional measures of distance and time to accrue a unit of fare. Any combination of distance or time shall be computed by the taximeter in accordance with the National Bureau of Standards. The fare shall include pre-assessment of the unit currently being accrued; the amount due may therefore include a full unit charge for a final, fractional unit.

Different variables such as heavy traffic and tolls should be taken into account in gauging the final cost of your trip.

John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)

(20 miles to Manhattan Cruise Terminal)

Building 14

Jamaica, NY 11430

(718) 244-4444 or (800) 247-7433

JFK Airport website

La Guardia Airport (LGA)

(11 miles to Manhattan Cruise Terminal)

Flushing, NY 11371

(718) 533-3400

La Guardia Airport website

Newark International Airport (ERW)

(15 miles to Manhattan Cruise Terminal)

Tower Road, Building Ten

Newark, NJ 07114, USA

(973) 961-6000 or (888) EWR-INFO

Newark Airport website

http://www.nycruise.com/dirNYC.html#

Actually Laguardia is a bit closer.. Realize if you travel through Newark Airport you have to go through the tunnels and on the NJ Turnpike..As someone who lived in NJ and NYC - I would rather deal with Laguardia.

There is a flat fee of $45 plus tolls only from JFK to Manhattan-

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/faq_pass.shtml#15

Newark International Airport

- The set fare from New York City to Newark International Airport is the regular metered rate of fare, plus a $15.00 surcharge, plus all tolls going to and returning from the airport.

John F. Kennedy International Airport

- The TLC has established a "Flat Fare" program for trips to and from JFK and Manhattan. The flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls. There is no set fare to or from JFK to any point in New York City outside of Manhattan, and the metered rate applies.

LaGuardia International Airport

- There is no set fare for trips to and from LaGuardia International Airport. The regular metered rate of fare, as is displayed below, applies in all cases.

Metered Rate of Fare

$2.50 upon entry

$.40 for each additional unit

$.40 per 60 seconds of waiting time

$.50 night surcharge after 8:00PM and prior to 6:00AM

$1.00 Peak Hour Surcharge in effect 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., Monday-Friday

The unit of fare is:

One-fifth of a mile, when the taxicab is traveling at 6 miles per hour or more; or 120 seconds (at a rate of twenty cents per minute), when the taxicab is not in motion or is traveling at less than 6 miles per hour.

The taximeter shall combine fractional measures of distance and time to accrue a unit of fare. Any combination of distance or time shall be computed by the taximeter in accordance with the National Bureau of Standards. The fare shall include pre-assessment of the unit currently being accrued; the amount due may therefore include a full unit charge for a final, fractional unit.

Different variables such as heavy traffic and tolls should be taken into account in gauging the final cost of your trip.

John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)

(20 miles to Manhattan Cruise Terminal)

Building 14

Jamaica, NY 11430

(718) 244-4444 or (800) 247-7433

JFK Airport website

La Guardia Airport (LGA)

(11 miles to Manhattan Cruise Terminal)

Flushing, NY 11371

(718) 533-3400

La Guardia Airport website

Newark International Airport (ERW)

(15 miles to Manhattan Cruise Terminal)

Tower Road, Building Ten

Newark, NJ 07114, USA

(973) 961-6000 or (888) EWR-INFO

Newark Airport website

http://www.nycruise.com/dirNYC.html#

I had just started to price for Newerk ! Thanks for this info. Time to check prices for La Guardia..:D I would bet a 15 mile ride in New York has to be close to an Hour or so right ? Thanks once more..

We'll be taking the train up a couple of days early and back the day we return. Can anyone suggest a good car service so we don't have to bother with cabs? I've seen several posts about the difficulty of getting a cab when leaving the port and we plan on taking a 1pm train back to DC. We'll be staying in Times Square and we could walk if it wasn't for luggage, lol. We've been to NYC many times, but never to cruise out of.

I had just started to price for Newerk ! Thanks for this info. Time to check prices for La Guardia..:D I would bet a 15 mile ride in New York has to be close to an Hour or so right ? Thanks once more..

Hi!

Could be longer depending on traffic and day of the week.. Are you leaving mid week or weekend?

Your flight to go home is TIGHT.. Can you get a later flight?

We always cruise out of NYC.. One year (Canada Cruise) we off the ship and in a cab by 8am.. One year 10am.. anything can happen.. Last May coming off a cruise, another shipped 'crashed' into the pier and everyone was delayed!

15 miles in NYC with traffic could be One hour, two hours.. all depends..

Weekends you may do better.. :)

We'll be taking the train up a couple of days early and back the day we return. Can anyone suggest a good car service so we don't have to bother with cabs? I've seen several posts about the difficulty of getting a cab when leaving the port and we plan on taking a 1pm train back to DC. We'll be staying in Times Square and we could walk if it wasn't for luggage, lol. We've been to NYC many times, but never to cruise out of.

You will not have a problem getting a cab on the 'street'..

When disembarking come out of the pier and (Carefully!) cross the street and there is a taxi stand..(about 55th/56th) St.. You will easily get a cab here.. even if there is aline.

If your hotel has a concierge or doorman you can ask them to hail you a cab.

:)

Also.. From the Pier to Penn station is 20 blocks downtown and a couple of blocks east.. It should take 15 minutes...

You will not have a problem getting a cab on the 'street'..

When disembarking come out of the pier and (Carefully!) cross the street and there is a taxi stand..(about 55th/56th) St.. You will easily get a cab here.. even if there is aline.

If your hotel has a concierge or doorman you can ask them to hail you a cab.

Also.. From the Pier to Penn station is 20 blocks downtown and a couple of blocks east.. It should take 15 minutes...

How late of flight do you think would be a safe time ? I all ways us self assist as I never check bags on these short cruises (4 Nights) Mind you that it will be myself and my son (He's 9) and TWO BIG Carry on Bags and that's it so we will not be checking bags at the airport.

How late of flight do you think would be a safe time ? I all ways us self assist as I never check bags on these short cruises (4 Nights) Mind you that it will be myself and my son (He's 9) and TWO BIG Carry on Bags and that's it so we will not be checking bags at the airport.

Whops ! ;)

I am not really sure.. I never fly.. lol

I would guess the earliest 2pm or 3pm???

Have you checked on the east coast departure threads??

I am not really sure.. I never fly.. lol

I would guess the earliest 2pm or 3pm???

Have you checked on the east coast departure threads??

Thanks.. I think I am looking at a 1:45pm flight. With no bags to check and checking in online and printing a boarding pass from the internet cafe while on the ship and being the first group off the ship with self assist I would hope even though I fly back to Chicago on a Monday I would get to LGA with time to spare. Thanks..:)

While the mileage is less, I think it might be quicker to go to Newark, just because of the traffic. From the cruise terminal on the West Side, you'd just head south 15 blocks and into the Lincoln Tunnel to New Jersey; from there, it's all highway (NJ Turnpike) to Newark airport, and there's usually not slow traffic.

LaGuardia is in Queens, so you first have to get all the way across Manhattan, across the East River, then through Queens to the airport. All with a much greater risk of slow traffic.

It's not a big deal, I'd pick whichever one has the better flight times/prices for your dates. I would, however, avoid JFK airport.

I've cruised out of NYC twice (LEGEND and VICTORY). . . best airfare price from the West Coast was into JFK . . . when I got there, I was told cabs were $60 to the pier on the other side of Manhattan. Saw another Carnival cruiser there. We both had the same problem. Went to the visitors center and a very nice gentleman there instructed me to pick up one of the phones on the wall and I ordered a van for $17 ($20 with my tip). Had to go around the airport making a few extra stops to fill the van, but time wasn't a factor. Rather enjoyed it, actually. :)

I've cruised out of NYC twice (LEGEND and VICTORY). . . best airfare price from the West Coast was into JFK . . . when I got there, I was told cabs were $60 to the pier on the other side of Manhattan. Saw another Carnival cruiser there. We both had the same problem. Went to the visitors center and a very nice gentleman there instructed me to pick up one of the phones on the wall and I ordered a van for $17 ($20 with my tip). Had to go around the airport making a few extra stops to fill the van, but time wasn't a factor. Rather enjoyed it, actually. :)

Perhaps a private cab, but Yellow cabs from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan have a set fee and if a driver tries to pull a fast one, take his number and name and report him!

Cant beat the $17 van.. but were they legal/licensed?

Archived