Hawaii with toddler

calikak

Hi everyone! I'm in the early planning stages of a Hawaii cruise for April 2009. My son will be almost 3 then and we'll be on Carnival, so I'm hoping he'll enjoy some kids' club time, especially on the sea days over there. :D I'm starting to think about excursions for us, and wondered if you guys have any suggestions. DS already loves the water, so beach time is good, but we might want to mix it up with some other activities. But, I'm thinking anything involving a long time in a car/bus is probably not going to be something DS will enjoy. We're also going with a group that may include an infant (not yet conceived--not me, another couple!) and will definitely include some fairly active folks in their 40's and 60's, but we might not do all our excursions with them. The ports we're going to are:

Hilo

Kona

Kahului

Lahaina

Kauai

Honolulu (we overnight on the ship, and may also spend a night post-cruise)

Thank in advance for any suggestions!

I'm taking my just-turned-4-year olds in January on the Golden Princess (r/t from Los Angeles), so I'll post back everything I learn. We've also counted out anything with long drives, but have found tons to do - and it's all pretty reasonable.

In Hilo we're renting a car ($38 from Thrifty - we're bringing our car seats) and driving up to the volcano ($20 per car I think) where there's a 1 mile stroller-friendly hike, and also visiting the macadamia factory (free).

In Honolulu we're taking a cab to Pearl Harbor (free) 1st thing in the morning and then doing a luau at Germaine's that night (I think that's the name) where kids under 5 are free.

In Maui we're doing the ship sponsored whale watching and submarine excursions to get to see the sea life.

In Kauai we're walking to the beach.

Best,

mia

Ummm...infant not yet conceived...Did you mean cruising in 2009 or 2010? Also, if you are going to Hawaii, even if that person got pregnant this month, the infant would not be old enough to sail that itinerary. Check the Carnival website, but I think on a cruise with that many days at sea and so far from land, the infant has to be at least a year old, as opposed to six months for other cruises. .

EM

I would keep in mind that all children are not created equal. So, what works for one might not work for another.

When our youngest was that age and cruised with us we avoided long excursions and on the most part avoided excursions in general. In port we might go to a beach, to a park, or walk around. How long would depend on certain factors such as how hot it was outside and how sunny.

If you spend a night in Honolulu post cruise a hotel to consider is the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We took our two children there when our youngest was four and it was nice. They have a very nice beach. We've been there since then as well.

Keith

Just did Hawaii roundtrip on RCCL and I will outline some things we did. My twins are 5.

First I recommend getting the "Revealed" series of books. Excellent maps and info.

We rented cars in every port.

Hilo- right off the ship we went to the zoo (very small but beautiful gardens.) Let me just say this it is filled with unusual animals, and a good variety but for lack of better word rejects, ;) for instance there is a white tiger, but he is crossed eyed.There is a butterfly exhibit, and peacocks roaming around. Very fun, but small and quaint. (free or cheap - cant remeber if there was a cost).

Next - Mauno loa nut plantation, Boring and totally not worth it IMO (just go to a costco (there is one in Kona and they have a massive selection of macadamia nut products).

Stopped for lunch to get a traditional "plate Lunch" and then went to a park called liliuokalani gardens. We actually spent quite a bit of time (2 hours or so) exploring, it is just off Banyan Tree drive, where all the Banyan trees were planted by famous people (Ameilia Earhart and Babe Ruth) Beautiful and in the ponds there are some hermit crabs my girls had fun checking out.

Kona - ok be sure you rent your car at the hotel right acrossthe street from the cruise ship drop off. It is called the King Kamehameha. Otherwise you will be in for a Long Long Long wait! Here was our most planned activities, however we had to omit the coffee plantation due to time constraints. Explored down town and did a little shopping, then went to Costco heading out toward the airport and had lunch. Then went to the Wawaloli beach. You will find information about this beach in the Revealed books. Lots of cool giant sized tidepools to swim in (think swimming in a kiddie pool, with tropical fish and sea cucumbers) Have the kids paired with adults and wearing life vests and water socks. Although there were almost no waves breaking the ocean can be unforgiving at a moments noticed. Showered off cleaned up and drove half a block to the Seahorse farm and took a tour there. It was amazing and fabulous. Go to Seahorse.com adn check it out for a once in a lifetime experiece. Back to the ship.

Maui - Here we had two days. Day one to the Maui Ocean Center (aquarium). Check it out online. It was a very kid friendly experience. I would allow 1-2 hours. A bit of a drive, but nice activity for the kids, cool and informative exhibits, plenty of intereactive exhibits as well. Dining here is on the spendy side, avoid the sit down restaurant and go to the outdoor cafe. Tendering here can be tricky so plan accordingly, we came back to the ship and changed and went to our luau. We booked the Drums of the Pacific Luau directly through the Maui Hyatt Recency, (way cheaper then the ship). Kids are free. It had good food and the show was awesome. Afterward the performers come out and you can have your pictures taken with some of them. (my girls loved that).

Next day in Maui - left the girls on the ship to play. We went up to Kaanapali and played on the beach and shopped. Found an amazing guy in Lahania that carves wooden things, bought a turtle that he then proceeded to carve our names into! Awesome! Guy was incredible, done while holding it in his feet! Shopping in Lahina was most fun for me. Check out Lush for incredible organic and natural bath products and Mango glass for unique jewelry.

Oahu, if you want luxurious shopping here is the spot. We actually left the girls on the ship this day too. Picked up the rental car headed to costco bought snorkeling gear and headed over to North Beach to check out the turtles. On the way back stopped at the Dole plantation - low and behold they were out of the Dole whip! Bought some incredible flavored teas and then on to Downtown to the International Marketplace. It is a giant fleamarket. Honestly save all your shopping for here. THis is where I got most of my souveniers. Bought my girls two "Hawaiian" dresses and lots of Necklaces, etc. There is a huge Hilo hatties here and a KMART. Hilo hatties is a nicer quality though so if you are looking for something to last buy it here. Down town parking is almost non-existent.

My girls were so into the Ocean Adventure I think they had more fun than us! The shore days were very intensive for them and on most days they took 2 hour long naps! On the port days when they didn't get a nap they fell asleep at dinner. That is why the last two port days we left them on the ship. (It was a little (ok a lot) uncomfortable for my momma senses - but they were much happier).

That being said if you plan on renting a car bring along a Garmin Nuvi or something like that. Ours was a lifesaver. In fact if it was a man I might have gotten rid of my husband and married it! It was able to find anyplace we were looking for including parking in Oahu!

Hope you have a great trip. and I hope this helps.

We did the sub with our grandchildren in Honolulu and they loved it. They keep talking about it and want to go on another cruise just so they can go on the submarine.

In Kauai the beach at the Marriott is nice for kids.

Be sure to check out the Hawaii boards for lots of information

We did the sub with our grandchildren in Honolulu and they loved it. They keep talking about it and want to go on another cruise just so they can go on the submarine.

In Kauai the beach at the Marriott is nice for kids.

The submarine excursions require that everyone be able to climb a ladder. My 4-year old meets the height requirement, but, bless her heart, she's not the most coordinated child. Are parents able to help their kids to enter/exit?

How did you get to the Marriott? I'm wondering if we can walk to avoid dealing with car seats. Did the Marriott charge a day pass fee (which I have no problem with - just wondering). Did they have a kids pool?

Thanks so much! We're on our way on 1/7!

Best,

Mia

I haven't been yet, but I have been doing a bit of reading about the Marriott in Kauai and it seems to be walkable from the tender pier (so no need to bring a carseat) and free if you're just using the beach. But if you want to use a lounger, you have to rent one. There's some guys there that rent snorkel stuff, lounge chairs, kayaks, etc. Check out the Hawaii forums, if you run a search there you should find some photos and other info.

I haven't been yet, but I have been doing a bit of reading about the Marriott in Kauai and it seems to be walkable from the tender pier (so no need to bring a carseat) and free if you're just using the beach. But if you want to use a lounger, you have to rent one. There's some guys there that rent snorkel stuff, lounge chairs, kayaks, etc. Check out the Hawaii forums, if you run a search there you should find some photos and other info.

Yes, the Marriott is about a five to ten minute walk from the tender pier

I think the beach is a great idea for those that are looking for things to do with their children.

Keith

Yes, the Marriott is about a five to ten minute walk from the tender pier

I think the beach is a great idea for those that are looking for things to do with their children.

Keith

The hotel is in Naiwiliwili (I love that name) and, during our stay there last September, we had several folks from cruises at the resort that used both the beach and the pool without any problem. Just bring your own towels. It's a good beach for families (very calm waters in Naiwiliwili Bay) and several reasonably priced restaurants in the resort. There's even a hamburger stand adjacent to the pool/beach.

There's also a small shopping center outside the resort along with some other restaurant opportunities. Google up Marriott Kauai and you'll get to the Marriott site. Then click on Maps and you can see how close it is to the cruise dock. (The dock can handle one ship so you may actually dock in Kauai, or, then again, you may be tendered in.)

• Administrators

This photo is of Kalapaki beach, taken from our ship as we backed away from the port at Nawiliwili:

2308892330101795198S600x600Q85.jpg

The sidewalk you can see takes you to the beach, or you can take a shuttle from the port area to Anchor Cove (the shopping center Walt mentions) and wind up in the same area, though on the land side of the Marriott (the large building visible in the photo). There's a Duke's restaurant fronting that beach, and surfing lessons and beach toys also available: http://www.kauaifun.com/beachboys.html

Kauai has another area good for toddlers -- Lydgate State Park has an area specifically created for families with little ones -- http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/kauai_beaches/lydgate_beach_park.php It's enclosed by a ring of rocks, and has very calm waters, and Poipu State Park is also on Kauai -- http://www.poipubeach.org/visitor_info/faqs.html.

You might want to check the Hawaii ports of call board here at CC. Until the last few months it was a very active and friendly board with great information for Hawaii travelers -- it's been a bit quiet lately, but with the newly-revamped search feature you can still find a lot of great info there -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62 Just do bear in mind that Hawaii is a very expensive destination, and often folks want to do "once in a lifetime" type things. That means things that adults might find great (Volcanoes National Park -- our number one choice in Hawaii, or a $150 per person snorkeling excursion) toddlers might find boring to the max when they're pleased with sand and a beach. :) It's a matter of balance if your party all wants to stay together and nobody tours on their own.

The submarine excursions require that everyone be able to climb a ladder. My 4-year old meets the height requirement' date=' but, bless her heart, she's not the most coordinated child. Are parents able to help their kids to enter/exit?

How did you get to the Marriott? I'm wondering if we can walk to avoid dealing with car seats. [b']Did the Marriott charge a day pass fee (which I have no problem with - just wondering). Did they have a kids pool?[/b]

Thanks so much! We're on our way on 1/7!

Best,

Mia

I don't believe the Marriott offers a day pass for use of the facilities. As others have written, you do not need a pass or to pay to use the beach because the beaches in Hawaii are public. You can rent various beach equipment, but doing so doesn't allow use of the hotel facilities. Imagine if 400 cruise pax decided to swarm the hotel and use the pools, etc. The people actually staying there would be justifiably upset that the amenities they paid for were inaccessible because of it.

beachchick

Kerry's Girls...yes the submarine information says that you have to be able to go down the ladder yourself. Our grandkids had a little trouble with that. I went down first and waited as our 4 year old grandson came down. I figured I was there to catch him if he needed help. My husband held our younger grandaughter when he climbed down. I noticed several other people doing it that way too. The ladder is a little steep but not too long. Going up the ladder was no problem for either of them.

You can rent various beach equipment, but doing so doesn't allow use of the hotel facilities. Imagine if 400 cruise pax decided to swarm the hotel and use the pools, etc. The people actually staying there would be justifiably upset that the amenities they paid for were inaccessible because of it.

beachchick

Thanks - I appreciate the info - but many, many wonderful resorts close to ports welcome cruise passengers to use their amenities, either by day pass or even allowing them in with no upfront charge in the hope they'll spend money on food/liquor.

I called the Kauai Marriott and they do welcome cruise passengers to purchase a "day room" for $109 on a space available basis, which includes a room and full use of the facilities, which breaks down to about $27 for each of the four of us - well worth it to me to enjoy a relaxing day at such a lovely resort (and about the same as I'm used to paying for a day pass). If I didn't have children, I'd probably just use the beach for free, but it will be nice to use the huge family-friendly pools and have lounge chairs and restrooms, etc.

Thanks for all the great info everyone! I have put together a lot of information from the Hawaii boards as well, but it's always wonderful to get info from those who have actually been with tots as well.

With gratitude,

Mia

• Administrators
Thanks - I appreciate the info - but many' date=' many wonderful resorts close to ports welcome cruise passengers to use their amenities, either by day pass or even allowing them in with no upfront charge in the hope they'll spend money on food/liquor.

I called the Kauai Marriott and they do welcome cruise passengers to purchase a "day room" for $109 on a space available basis, which includes a room and full use of the facilities, which breaks down to about $27 for each of the four of us - well worth it to me to enjoy a relaxing day at such a lovely resort (and about the same as I'm used to paying for a day pass). If I didn't have children, I'd probably just use the beach for free, but it will be nice to use the huge family-friendly pools and have lounge chairs and restrooms, etc.

Thanks for all the great info everyone! I have put together a lot of information from the Hawaii boards as well, but it's always wonderful to get info from those who have actually been with tots as well.

With gratitude,

Mia[/quote']

Thanks for doing that legwork, Mia. I'll add it to my little folder of info on Kauai for future posters -- that's great to know.

PS Your per car admission to Volcanoes National Park is $10. For lots more information, downloadable maps, etc check out this great site -- http://www.nps.gov/havo/ from the National Parks Service.

Thanks - I appreciate the info - but many' date=' many wonderful resorts close to ports welcome cruise passengers to use their amenities, either by day pass or even allowing them in with no upfront charge in the hope they'll spend money on food/liquor.

That's true, but consider how many land visitors Hawaii (usually) has versus so many of the Caribbean and other ports. I've been to the Marriott there, not to stay but for the beach and for dining. If the hotel is full, there is no way that they could allow unlimited cruise pax to use the facilities. Anyone is welcome to rent equipment for the beach at any time. Of course, everyone is welcome on the beach too. But it's not like in the Caribbean where you are renting the lounges and umbrellas through the resort or bar, and there is no bar or dining service on the beach.

That's great and a new offering. I'm guessing partly because tourism in Hawaii is down just as it is in most places. It makes sense to have day room rentals on a space available basis because there is no way for too many cruise pax to be there. Truly, the Marriott and Kalapaki beach that fronts it are hugely popular with cruise pax because it's the only beach that's in reasonable walking distance of the pier. If they opened the pools and other facilities to cruise pax as a free-for-all (regardless of whether they hope people will buy food and drinks), there really wouldn't be space for guests staying at the hotel itself. A space-available day pass is a good compromise.

I'm sure you'll all love Hawaii. I can't think of any youngsters we know who haven't either loved visiting Hawaii or who aren't asking their parents, "When do we get to go there?"

With gratitude,

Mia

beachchick

Archived