Want Barbados Beach WITHOUT Jet-Skis!

moondoggie

The Caribbean guidebooks recommend these Gold Coast beaches: Payne's, Brighton, Brandon's, and Paradise. They are close to the cruise ship, but we do not care for the noise pollution that comes from Jet Skis. All we want is a calm and beautiful beach, with place to rent chairs/umbrellas, and possibly buy non-alcoholic drinks. Do any of these fit the bill? We're four adults, no kids.

Or, are there other beaches that are not too far from the ship that someone might recommnend?

Thank you! We'll be there in January.

Well, I can give you a suggestion based on our visit last week. There is a beach about 1 mile on the opposite side of Bridgetown from the cruise port called Rockley or Accra (its just two different names for the same place). Its a smallish strip of gorgeous sandy beach with no jet skis, no loud music, etc. There are adequate facilities including food, drink, free bathrooms, and you can rent chairs and umbrellas. This beach has an active lifeguard tower and is a friendly place. The taxis at the port will group folks together for the various beaches (including this beach) and the taxi costs $15 per person round trip (a bit of a rip-off but they are government set rates).

Hank

we do not care for the noise pollution that comes from Jet Skis.

All we want is a calm and beautiful beach, with place to rent chairs/umbrellas,

Are there other beaches that are not too far from the ship

that someone might recommend? ===> No. All calm-water areas (= near the ship!)

are frequented by jet-ski guys at some time of the day

Your best bet -guaranteed- is The CRANE

Crane-789.jpg

No jet skis here -not in January -too choppy for them!

I see less jet skis, or no jet skis, From Mullins up to Maycocks (West side). This could be an hour from the pier depending on traffic.

If you are willing to travel, there are many beaches that offer solitude, but they are on the SE and E coast: Foul Bay; Long Bay; Bottom Bay; Conset Bay; Conger Bay; Tent Bay; lakes; Walkers and Gays. These are 1-1.5 hours away from the pier, but they are quiet and pristine. Many equal Crane. Some exceed it, IMHO. These are wonderful "beaches", not generally visited to swim as our SE and E waters can be dangerous.

Some of these beaches can be deserted during the week. Please do not visit deserted beaches alone. It is not safe in 2008. Please only visit when there are a number of people there.

Go a little further, pay a little more and you’ll be surprised what the island has to offer. There are few in the Caribbean that equal it.

Enjoy! :) :) :)

Well, I can give you a suggestion based on our visit last week. There is a beach about 1 mile on the opposite side of Bridgetown from the cruise port called Rockley or Accra (its just two different names for the same place). Its a smallish strip of gorgeous sandy beach with no jet skis, no loud music, etc. There are adequate facilities including food, drink, free bathrooms, and you can rent chairs and umbrellas. This beach has an active lifeguard tower and is a friendly place. The taxis at the port will group folks together for the various beaches (including this beach) and the taxi costs $15 per person round trip (a bit of a rip-off but they are government set rates).

Hank

It's called Accra Beach because of the hotel, but it's really Rockley Beach but we call it both. and unfortuntely there are jetskis, but not many and they don't actually come up on this beach.. (they start at another point).

This also happends to be my favorite beach. We went to Carib/Sandy/Worthing Beach (a little further east along the southcoast road from Accra/Rockley) the other day.. it's changed alot and the only jetski we saw was very quit and wasn't zooming all over the place.

.. we do not care for the noise pollution that comes from Jet Skis.
How much noise pollution does a jet ski make..?

I am very sensitive to noise (barking dogs!!) -just ask my wife!:eek:

but jet skis don't affect me much at all

...it's a quiet buzzing sound

doesn't last long

is well muffled by the water jacket cooling system surrounding the engine

is drowned out by other background noises generally,including the surf

...what's the problem??

I'm a lot more worried about irresponsible handling of them

I loathe jetskis. The nasty buzzing noise, the speed, the idiot operators who do not seem to have any regard for the swimmers they panic.

For that reason, I prefer Miami Beach (aka Enterprise beach) by Oistins. There are free changing rooms and showers, a really great little place on the beach (Mr. Delicious) where you can buy local food and drinks at good prices. There are picnic tables and treed shade, as well as beach chairs that you can rent. I have never seen any jet skis nor encountered any aggressive vendors at this beach.

One side of the beach is knee-hip dip and great for standing around chatting to locals doing the same thing. The other side is excellent for swimming and sometimes there is a bit of wave action for some modest body surfing.

I don't know how long it would take to get there from the port but I have certainly met people off cruises spending the day there.

Hope this helps

The Search function seems meaningless to most ppl looking for info... :)

And we just did an extensive upgrade to the search function and it works fantastic! A search of Brighton brought me over 250 results in .57 seconds.

And we just did an extensive upgrade to the search function and it works fantastic!

A search of Brighton brought me over 250 results in .57 seconds.

That truly is brilliant news, Cecilia!

Sure Search is a chore..

and often multiple tries/submissions are necessary before you find what you want

but I can almost guarantee it's been asked(and answered!) before!! :cool:

Did you guys notice that Cruisecritic.com has been mentioned(fifth)

among The Top 10 Greatest Marketing Moments in Cruise History..?

Have a look at

http://www.ryanwahlstrom.com/blog1/articles/cruise-marketing-top-10-moments/

Carnival's distinctive Farcus Funnel is mentioned(second)

[foregone conclusion, that..]

and this is The Shot!

FarcusFunnel-430.jpg

Archived