Reduce in Cruise Price

Piggy Cruiser

Dear all, I found it from the HAL that some of the cruise price has gone down during this weekend! I've already paid the deposit for my next Cruise trip on HAL in April 2009. Do you think I will be honoured with the reduced price or I have to pay the original price instead? :confused:

Dear all, I found it from the HAL that some of the cruise price has gone down during this weekend! I've already paid the deposit for my next Cruise trip on HAL in April 2009. Do you think I will be honoured with the reduced price or I have to pay the original price instead? :confused:

On several of our cruises the price has dropped and our TA has been able to get the price reduction. This has been true on Princess and Holland America. On our cruise to Hawaii the price drop was $700.00! We do tend to book almost a year out and keep an eye on the prices. Good luck, I'm sure it will work out!

Yes, it's not a problem (at least for US citizens) if you are outside final payment. Many TA's will charge a change fee and understandably most likely reduce any OBC credit offer as it was coming out of their commission.

this is great news, I never knew this. Luckily, prices always seem to go up after we book so we have not been faced with this. Anyone know if Vacations to Go has this policy? If not, any suggestions on agencies that will do this?

As a side note, yesterday morning we finally decided to book a cruise we had been looking at for a few weeks. We got distracted and when I returned to the computer last night, it had gone up on all sites! Nothing we could do...So if a price looks fair and good, jump on it.

I can offer some advice (and its almost free) on price reductions based on a little experience (many more than 50 cruises). You should continue to monitor the latest prices on your cruise (its smart to look at multiple web sites including HAs) right up until your cruise. HA will normally honor price reductions until you make your final payment (this is a good reason not to pay the final payment far in advance) and sometimes you can even negotiate a reduction, on-board credit or an upgrade if there is a price drop after final payment. The key to all of this is that you must watch for the price changes and assertively seek the reduction. Do not depend on a TA or the cruise line to automatically give you a reduction. We often have 4 or 5 cruises under booking and have learned to check prices at least twice a week (Tuesdays and Fridays work best for us). This seems like a lot of work, but over a year we generally save thousands of dollars with this method. By the way, if you book cruises on RCI, Celebrity or Azamara the policy is different. These cruise lines will generally honor price drops right up until your cruise (even after you make final payment).

Hank

We checked with HAL today regarding our upcoming cruise in March on the Oosterdam. Yes, the cabin rate dropped by $300. To avail ourselves of the reduction we would be required to re-book. In re-booking, we would pay a higher fare for the flight and would be required to arrive the day before and add a hotel stay.

All together, it's a push, plus or minus a cup of coffee. At least in this case.

-The Pirate

We checked with HAL today regarding our upcoming cruise in March on the Oosterdam. Yes, the cabin rate dropped by $300. To avail ourselves of the reduction we would be required to re-book. In re-booking, we would pay a higher fare for the flight and would be required to arrive the day before and add a hotel stay.

All together, it's a push, plus or minus a cup of coffee. At least in this case.

-The Pirate

Another caveat to doing this involves travel insurance. Most third party insurers will not cover pre-existing conditions unless it was the first and only booking for that particular travel. If you purchased your insurance within the required timeframe of making deposit (depending on policy, anywhere from 7-21 days from initial deposit), they will waive pre-existing conditions for you, your family, traveling companion, or business partner (whether or not they are traveling with you). If you were to cancel the cruise and rebook, your insurance would be null and void with regards to covering pre-existing conditions. I'm not referring to HAL's insurance, but rather, third party insurance. We usually purchase Travelex Travel Lite at http://www.insuremytrip.com and I ran into this situation one time when we were going to cancel a previously deposited cruise because we decided to wait until we were onboard an upcoming cruise and "rebook" it so we'd get a shipboard credit. Good thing I checked with the insurance company, because they told me they only cover pre-existing conditions if it's the first and only booking.

Just something to those who may consider cancelling and rebooking at the lower price...

Another caveat to doing this involves travel insurance. Most third party insurers will not cover pre-existing conditions unless it was the first and only booking for that particular travel. If you purchased your insurance within the required timeframe of making deposit (depending on policy, anywhere from 7-21 days from initial deposit), they will waive pre-existing conditions for you, your family, traveling companion, or business partner (whether or not they are traveling with you). If you were to cancel the cruise and rebook, your insurance would be null and void with regards to covering pre-existing conditions. I'm not referring to HAL's insurance, but rather, third party insurance. We usually purchase Travelex Travel Lite at www.insuremytrip.com and I ran into this situation one time when we were going to cancel a previously deposited cruise because we decided to wait until we were onboard an upcoming cruise and "rebook" it so we'd get a shipboard credit. Good thing I checked with the insurance company, because they told me they only cover pre-existing conditions if it's the first and only booking.

Just something to those who may consider cancelling and rebooking at the lower price...

I am glad someone else read this or checked because this comes up all the time and people say they keep rebooking. eventually someone is going to come back to some board on Cruise Critic and be shocked at an over $50,000 Med Evac denial etc.

I am concerned that when transferring to an outside TA HAL has been having the TA's "rebook" the cruise with a new number to get a lower price. I'm concerned this will come back to haunt someone some day, and somehow the client may also try to hold HAL responsible. If HAL is reading they really need to somehow do these transfers (lower the rate or whatever) internally without "rebooking" because one day this will be a problem for someone.

It even has to be the first and only booking if you use HTH and CSA Luxe who both cover pre-exiting conditions on some of their cruises if you pay within 24 hours of final payment.

I have two questions:

1. Is it the scheduled final payment date or the date one actually makes final payment. In other words, if the final payment isn't due until December 1, but one actually pays it on November 1, can one cancel without penalty on November 15 (other than the cancelation insurance premium, of course.)

2. Are there TAs who don't charge a change fee prior to the final payment date or at all?

Another caveat to doing this involves travel insurance. Most third party insurers will not cover pre-existing conditions unless it was the first and only booking for that particular travel. If you purchased your insurance within the required timeframe of making deposit (depending on policy, anywhere from 7-21 days from initial deposit), they will waive pre-existing conditions for you, your family, traveling companion, or business partner (whether or not they are traveling with you). If you were to cancel the cruise and rebook, your insurance would be null and void with regards to covering pre-existing conditions. I'm not referring to HAL's insurance, but rather, third party insurance. We usually purchase Travelex Travel Lite at http://www.insuremytrip.com and I ran into this situation one time when we were going to cancel a previously deposited cruise because we decided to wait until we were onboard an upcoming cruise and "rebook" it so we'd get a shipboard credit. Good thing I checked with the insurance company, because they told me they only cover pre-existing conditions if it's the first and only booking.

I just want to expound on my previous statement (this is in regards to the travel insurance we always purchase, which is Travelex Travel Lite). Anyway, when I said it has to be the first and only booking for pre-existing conditions to be covered, there is an exception. If you are booked on a trip, purchased the insurance within the required timeframe for pre-existing conditions to be covered and then you cancel the trip, Travelex will allow you to use that same policy (at no add'l cost, unless your new trip costs are higher) and transfer it over to a new trip. And they will still cover you for pre-existing conditions. But it has to be an absolutely new trip. It can't be the same trip, same date. So if you book a cruise on Celebrity, for example, for January 1, 2009 and then switch it to Princess on May 1, you are okay. You'll be covered since it's a completely new trip.

Hope I haven't confused anyone.

I can offer some advice (and its almost free) on price reductions based on a little experience (many more than 50 cruises). You should continue to monitor the latest prices on your cruise (its smart to look at multiple web sites including HAs) right up until your cruise. HA will normally honor price reductions until you make your final payment (this is a good reason not to pay the final payment far in advance) and sometimes you can even negotiate a reduction, on-board credit or an upgrade if there is a price drop after final payment. The key to all of this is that you must watch for the price changes and assertively seek the reduction. Do not depend on a TA or the cruise line to automatically give you a reduction. We often have 4 or 5 cruises under booking and have learned to check prices at least twice a week (Tuesdays and Fridays work best for us). This seems like a lot of work, but over a year we generally save thousands of dollars with this method. By the way, if you book cruises on RCI, Celebrity or Azamara the policy is different. These cruise lines will generally honor price drops right up until your cruise (even after you make final payment).

Hank

Thanks for alerting me to the fact that Azamara will generally honor a price drop after final payment as we are due to pay this week and the ship is still half empty. I am sure there will be more decreases.

Your advice is always great. Thanks again.

Jennie

Dear all, great news to me! We've managed to re-book our cruise trip and the only lost was unable to keep the original room assigned. However, it's perfectly alright to us cos' the category of both bookings are the same and we've earned back US$800 from the re-booking! :D

Dear all, great news to me! We've managed to re-book our cruise trip and the only lost was unable to keep the original room assigned. However, it's perfectly alright to us cos' the category of both bookings are the same and we've earned back US$800 from the re-booking! :D

Why couldn't HAL just change the pricing vs rebooking? I don't know why they do this. Do you have HAL insurance? If not, no policy will cover for pre-existing conditions (which includes others not traveling with you).

:)Hi Jade13,

We don't have any HAL insurance at all. Therefore, not much change to my booking except the room as assigned is different.

Are you saying you have NO insurance? I don't want to scare you, but with the cost of cancelling and/or medical evacuation, I think it's prudent to always have travel insurance. Maybe it's just me, but even if the illness didn't involve me, I want the peace of mind knowing we would be covered in case it involved a family member. Even though the traveler may be of sound health, usually there are issues with family members. And now that you've rebooked, you can't get pre-existing conditions covered. I hope you considered that before you switched. I know that was a lot of money to save by rebooking, but I would be too nervous to travel without insurance. I don't see why HAL couldn't just keep you on the same booking and just lower the price. I think it's silly that they made you cancel and rebook. Did it require another deposit, with your first one credited back?

Dear jerseygirl3,

Thanks for your advice. Will sure get my insurance, just that we're still not exactly sure about our departure date till now. But which should be fixed soon. We'll not be getting the HAL insurance, just the travel insurance from AIG. :)

May I ask why AIG? They are the last one I would pick. Btw, does anyone else notice tha it does not seem that insuremytrip is selling AIG, or at least I do not see AIG?

Hope I haven't confused anyone.

Do you know (or does anyone else out there know) how the required timeframe works if you use an FCC which you may have gotten way outside the required timeframe for your deposit. Example: I purchase an FCC in January. In March, I use the FCC to book a cruise. I buy the insurance within the 14-21 day period after the booking date. I have called various travel insurance companies for an interpretation on this and received conflicting information as to whether preexisting is covered. Some say the clock to cover preexisting starts when you purchase the FCC, some say it starts when you actually use the FCC to book. I must mention that the conflicting information is given by representatives at the same insurance companies. Hope my question is clearly stated. Thanks, Shirley

I had this exact problem. My cruise dropped $500pp. So, $1000 total. I called Hal and since I paid in full they wouldn't issue a refund. Also, I was within 75 days of sailing so they said to rebook would cost me 75% of my initial fare!!! I was blown away. The only compensation was getting the same room on a higher deck. Not impressed. :(

Do you know (or does anyone else out there know) how the required timeframe works if you use an FCC which you may have gotten way outside the required timeframe for your deposit. Example: I purchase an FCC in January. In March, I use the FCC to book a cruise. I buy the insurance within the 14-21 day period after the booking date. I have called various travel insurance companies for an interpretation on this and received conflicting information as to whether preexisting is covered. Some say the clock to cover preexisting starts when you purchase the FCC, some say it starts when you actually use the FCC to book. I must mention that the conflicting information is given by representatives at the same insurance companies. Hope my question is clearly stated. Thanks, Shirley

It should be an actually cruise is booked. A FFC is just a $100.00 credit and nothing more. If you are concerned go with CSA Luxe or HTH that can be paid within 24 hours of final payment.

Dear jerseygirl3,

Thanks for your advice. Will sure get my insurance, just that we're still not exactly sure about our departure date till now. But which should be fixed soon. We'll not be getting the HAL insurance, just the travel insurance from AIG. :)

Glad to hear you're going to get travel insurance, but AIG???? YIKES!!! I'd surely stay away from them!

Having said that, the issue I was attempting to bring to your attention is that if HAL rebooked you like a completely new booking (new reservation number, etc.), then pre-existing conditions will not be covered since it has to be purchased within 7-21 days (depending on policy) of the time of initial deposit. More importantly, it can be the ONE AND ONLY BOOKING for that travel. That's where you may run into a problem.

If you haven't yet made final payment, there is a policy at insuremytrip.com sold by CSA I believe it's their Luxe policy. It's pricier, but it will cover pre-existing conditions as long as it's purchased within 24 hours of making final payment.

As far as not knowing your exact dates of travel, that's not a problem. Just guesstimate and you can always change your dates (with no fee involved) at a later date.

In the couple of cruises I've gone on, on HAL I have never had to worry about paying more for a price increase with them. What they quote is what you get. I have heard great things and that includes that if they have a price reduction, your travel agent can adjust that for you :)

Thanks..

Debbie

Archived