Murano Alternative Restaurant Question....

mrtractor

I thought I read somewhere that wine was included with the cover charge at Murano. Is that true? If so, what types and qualities are available? Is this just a glass or two or is it a bottle?

I'm not a foodie or gourmand and have found the dining room food to be excellent on previous Celebrity cruises. Is this dining option really worth an extra $60? What will we be getting for my $60 above and beyond the dining room price.

Thanks in advance!

MrTractor<------is exploring options for a winter "climate relief" cruise......:cool:......

Hi,:) wine is not included. They offer a separate menu if you

want to purchase the Food/Wine Pairings. "Menu Exceptional"

Normal price is 30.00. I was on INFINITY last weekend and

ate in the Specialty Restaurant with a cruisemate. We splurged

on the Food/Wine menu.

A glass with each course for an additional 32.00.

It was nice but next time I will just do the regular menu

and have 1 regular glass of wine.

I have never heard or seen where the wine is ever

included in the price.

Hi:)

I enjoyed it but would not do it again.

One glass of wine or sharing a bottle would be my

preference next time.

It wasn't an extra 60.00 though, it was an extra 32.00

My husband did the wine pairing dinner on Connie last year. While it was nice to have the "right" wine for each course, he wouldn't do it again. The servings are smaller (maybe a 4 ounce glass instead of 6 ounces), and he isn't a big drinker, so found that it was too much liquor for him.

On the other hand, I really do love to try different wines and pair them appropriately, but still wouldn't pay the extra cost. I used my meal as an opportunity to use what I learned in the wine pairings class onboard the ship. I probably still spent about $35 on wine for the meal (a glass of champagne, two glasses of wine, and a port), but enjoyed picking out what seemed "right".

Thanks, Lois. Maybe I misunderstood about the wine pairing.

Did you feel like it was worth the extra $60? If so, why?

MrTractor<----------thinks $60 is a little steep unless it's something really special........

I enjoyed it but would not do it again.

One glass of wine or sharing a bottle would be my

preference next time.

It wasn't an extra 60.00 though, it was an extra 32.00

I believe what Mr. Tractor is asking here is whether or not the $60 charge for two to dine in Murano's is "worth it".

That's a tough question to answer because it all boils down to how you like to spend your discretionary dollars, what you look for in a meal, what you expect in a meal, etc. You will probably receive a variety of opinions on such a question, however personally speaking we love Celebrity's alternative restaurants. In our opinion, not only is the food better (fresh preparation vs banquet-style), but the overall service and atmosphere are a step up from the main dining room. For instance, the harpist playing soft music and the overall quiet ambiance of the room as compared to the more hustle/bustle of the main dining room. For us, it's the total experience that makes it "worth it". It's not merely the food alone.

Yeah, I really was trying to get at whether the base cost of $60 extra was worth it. But that's all good information. Thanks everyone!

I wonder if it would be possible to get one dinner with the "Wine Pairing" and one with just the base dinner. My wife and I already have each others' "Cooties," so sharing the same glass of wine would not be a problem. Then we could get the taste of the proper wine with the right meal without feeling like we were drinking more than we wanted or wasting good wine.....WHICH IS A MORTAL SIN!!! :eek:

I appreciate the comments about the ambiance. If you are with your own group and can move to another dining room for a special night in that atmosphere, it's really a special evening. I'm one of those folks that, if we go on a traditional cruise like =X= and are sitting with new acquaintances actually feels bad if we don't show up at dinner. Call me silly, but I think it's just polite. At the very least we would let everyone at the table know that we were not going to be there the next night. We might even invite the table to join us. But then, I might feel bad if they didn't come. I'd wonder if they were under a budget constraint and might they might think I was being snooty or something. Is that being silly?

Another one of my concerns about one of these alternatives is that the last time we did this on a traditional cruise, they fed us so much food we had to go to bed early!

MrTractor<---------hasn't lost any weight on cruises....:o.........

quote:

"Yeah, I really was trying to get at whether the base cost of $60 extra was worth it"

Sorry, guess I misunderstood. Yes, to me 30.00 per person

is definitely worth it.:)

I loved my dinner and the Goat Cheese Souffle was

outstanding:)

Yeah, I really was trying to get at whether the base cost of $60 extra was worth it. But that's all good information. Thanks everyone!

I wonder if it would be possible to get one dinner with the "Wine Pairing" and one with just the base dinner. My wife and I already have each others' "Cooties," so sharing the same glass of wine would not be a problem. Then we could get the taste of the proper wine with the right meal without feeling like we were drinking more than we wanted or wasting good wine.....WHICH IS A MORTAL SIN!!! :eek:

I appreciate the comments about the ambiance. If you are with your own group and can move to another dining room for a special night in that atmosphere, it's really a special evening. I'm one of those folks that, if we go on a traditional cruise like =X= and are sitting with new acquaintances actually feels bad if we don't show up at dinner. Call me silly, but I think it's just polite. At the very least we would let everyone at the table know that we were not going to be there the next night. We might even invite the table to join us. But then, I might feel bad if they didn't come. I'd wonder if they were under a budget constraint and might they might think I was being snooty or something. Is that being silly?

Another one of my concerns about one of these alternatives is that the last time we did this on a traditional cruise, they fed us so much food we had to go to bed early!

MrTractor<---------hasn't lost any weight on cruises....:o.........

The rule is that everyone at the table has to do the wine pairing--sorry.

We felt the way you do--badly that we would be perceived as "deserting" our tablemates. When we announced that we had reservations, they all decided to join us. It was a lot of fun! I don't want to spoil anything but the service is a bit "flourish-y" and it works better if there are more than 2 of you. Or you may meet some nice folks on the ship who you may invite to join you as well.

To me, it's part of the whole cruise experience and worth going once/trip.

Cathy

On our recent 9 nights aboard the Solstice, we ate in Murano twice. Tuscan one, numberous times in Blu, a couple in the main dining room with friends, Bistro on five once.

Tariff is 30 dollors per person in Murano *no wine included. Wine paring per person is 140.00.

We ordered wine by the bottle each time.

If you are a foodie..the fois Gois is probobly the best we have ever had.

The mushroom soup and Gilato on the side, a very interesting combination.

Also their desert tasting..6 mini cups of different deserts is also great.

I will look back at pictures to see what else we had later.

Havent had a chance to look at them yet.

Thanks everybody. That's all great information.

Anybody got a menu from Murano's???

MrTractor<------will have the foie gras and goat cheese with gelato......now THAT'S an unusual combination!........

The gelato pairings are strange but are fabulous, not to be missed. Dinner was great as always.

We might even invite the table to join us. But then, I might feel bad if they didn't come. I'd wonder if they were under a budget constraint and might they might think I was being snooty or something. Is that being silly?

Or they simply didn´t like the combination between cheese and ice cream.

Archived