Northern Lights - Aurora Borealis

TwoWeebles

Have you ever seen the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis)? I was wondering if you can see the Northern Lights when on an Alaska cruise, or if you would need to be further north for that. If you can see them, is there a specific time of year that is better for this to occur? I hope this isn't a stupid question. :eek:

Have you ever seen the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis)? I was wondering if you can see the Northern Lights when on an Alaska cruise, or if you would need to be further north for that. If you can see them, is there a specific time of year that is better for this to occur? I hope this isn't a stupid question. :eek:

With all the amount of sunshine we have during the summer season (we get 19 1/2 hours during the summer solstice) the odds of you seeing the Northern Lights are slim to none. If you want to really see them you need to plan a January/February trip up and they have some great ones up in Fairbanks. I occasionally see them here (but few and far between) in Anchorage but the best bet is to get out somewhere where this is really no interfering lights.

Susan in Anchorage :)

The earliest I have seen them is the end of August. Essentially no chance any earlier in the cruise season. It is too light. It is necessary to have clear dark nights, meaning full views of stars. Daily, check the Fairbanks U Geophysical website for the predictions.

Superior for viewing is to be interior Alaska, which I've seen them several times. Fairbanks is excellent, BUT you have to have the ability to get out of the city. IF you are viewing them from your hotel in town, you are missing out on a significant difference, away from the city lights. So a car is always necessary for me.

The best was my two winter trips, both in March, and each 2 weeks. One trip had 10 days of fantastic viewing the other only 1.

This coming year is an off year, better viewing will happen again in 2011.

you always have a chance. the further north you go in august it will lessen as there is longer daylight. the days don't get longer, still 24 hours, just longer daylight...................

i live about haveway between juneau and ketchikan, total darkness is between midnight and almost 2am. maybe you could tip the night staff to wake you if any are spotted.

my wife has a weekly radio show that ends at midnight. she's never surprised to see the lights but they aren't anything that looks like it came out of national geographic.

you will need a clear night free of any external light. even a full moon can overpower them.

In seven cruises to Alaska we have only seen them once, but they were spectacular!! It was in midsummer and there was only a fleeting couple of hours of darkness but we got lucky during those hours. We were in the nightclub about 2 AM and somebody came in and hollered "the Northern Lights are out!"

HMMM -- maybe the reason we haven't seen them lately is that we no longer inhabit the night club at 2 AM?? ;)

Archived