The demise of formal night

barbon2

Fun-seeker--- We would be proud to have dinner with you on any cruise.

Some people just have no class with comments like that one to you, which I will not repeat.

I wish there would be a final word to this post it is ridiculous and redundant.:D:D

LIKE : THE END :)

We didn't see your post before, but you are welcome to join us too. The more the merrier.

Okie dokey! It is a date. Just let my hubby grab his overalls and I'll get my tennies, and we'll be right there! ;-)

Sheila

Now that sounds like a plan :D We used to live in a small town in the mid-Hudson Valley in New York, where everyone knew everyone else and we would tell our kids that we would know if they got into trouble before they got home. And we did. So when you talk rural, we've been there. Just so you cosmopolitan city folk don't feel left out, we have also lived in New York City and have more than a nodding acquaintance with Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, New Orleans, Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Naples and too many more big cities to list.

We didn't see your post before, but you are welcome to join us too. The more the merrier.

I posted earlier and got tired of all the back lash and innuendos from this thread.

We should talk about having dinner or something that all posters can agree on.

Sorry just wishful thinking

THAT'S ALL FOLKS:

NEXT SUBJECT, PLEASE:cool:

Ok...now that we've got the offical word from you we can all move on:rolleyes:.

Did you know that it is optional to read threads? I'm so done with people deciding when threads have run the course. Move on if you don't want to read about it.

But wait, there's more! If you call right now, we'll throw in this handy dandy dress code reminder, all for $19.99!:)

The funny part here is that all this talk, all these examples being brought up, opinions being exchanged, comparisons being moved forward and 'suggested' rules being quoted is not going to make one iota of difference in the way all of us happy cruisers, lucky devils that we are, gathered together here around the virtual CC tree, are going to act and dress on our next cruise. The 'traditionalists' (for lack of a better word - trying to stay away from 'stuffed shirts':eek:) are still going to dress up and the 'non-traditionalists' (for another lack of a better word) are sure as Pinocchio is made out of wood, going to wear their slacks and collared shirts (no jacket and tie please) and both sides will feel very happy about themselves! And that, my friends, happens to be the moral of this mother of all dress code threads, all the baby dress code threads of Christmas past and all their cousins that will, have no doubt, be presented here in the future!It ain't gonna make a bit of difference! Isn't that just precious?:rolleyes:

But wait, there's more! If you call right now, we'll throw in this handy dandy dress code reminder, all for $19.99!:)

The funny part here is that all this talk, all these examples being brought up, opinions being exchanged, comparisons being moved forward and 'suggested' rules being quoted is not going to make one iota of difference in the way all of us happy cruisers, lucky devils that we are, gathered together here around the virtual CC tree, are going to act and dress on our next cruise. The 'traditionalists' (for lack of a better word - trying to stay away from 'stuffed shirts':eek:) are still going to dress up and the 'non-traditionalists' (for another lack of a better word) are sure as Pinocchio is made out of wood, going to wear their slacks and collared shirts (no jacket and tie please) and both sides will feel very happy about themselves! And that, my friends, happens to be the moral of this mother of all dress code threads, all the baby dress code threads of Christmas past and all their cousins that will, have no doubt, be presented here in the future!It ain't gonna make a bit of difference! Isn't that just precious?:rolleyes:

*LOL*

Priceless.....absolutely Priceless :) :) :)

You had to have had some training in hostage negotiations *LOL*

I don't realize how much I say it until I'm around Americans and right away they know I'm Canadian.

I have good friends in New Brunswick and I don't I have ever heard them say Eh.

I am sorry to say the extent of my knowledge of Canada comes from old reruns of SCTV *LOL*

So I throw that at them once in a while (in fun) . They just shake their heads :)

I was feeling more than just a little bit conspicuous, at the time, being just about the only man in the Ocean Bar dressed in a Tuxedo. So, perhaps it was an echo of my upbringing -- my mother telling me to always try to fit in, and here I wasn't doing that ... I was standing out, dressed in a Tuxedo, even though it was 7pm on a formal night.

I believe this is what Oprah calls an AHA moment.

The dress up...dress down thing is a personal thing. I enjoy both so its not an issue for me. I think a dark jacket and tie is just fine.

Things do change, it is evolution in the making. Was not that long ago your bank teller had a cigarette going and everyone smoked on airplanes.

I am glad some rules have changed...and I am happy that there is formal cruising for those who enjoy it. We all pay a price for the luxury, we should be able to dress Country Club Casual....and/or Tux...if we like.

This is not an arguement for either side...just my opinion.

I hope we all enjoy the choices we have.

Don

I doubt that will ever come to pass.

You stumped me with this answer until I realized that you think Boytje's remark was directed to you when in fact it was actually directed to post No 207.. Read that post & see the quote he placed in his answer..His remark was not directed to you...When you read post no 207 you will understand why he made that remark..

However to come to Aloha's defense, I don't think she meant it the way Boytje took it..She was frustrated & answering other posters who are very vocal & believe those who wear Tux's & gowns on formal night are pretentious..That's ludicrous! I enjoy Formal nights & for those who don't wish to dress, so be it, but please don't deny me that right..

Vipcruisers, I agree with lorekuf..If you don't want to read posts in a thread, then pass it by..

You are not a Board Moderator & have no right to tell other posters when a thread should end!:(..Posting in large letters or all caps is considered yelling & does not endear you to members of this board either..

JMO..Cheers...:)Betty

However to come to Aloha's defense, I don't think she meant it the way Boytje took it..She was frustrated & answering other posters who are very vocal & believe those who wear Tux's & gowns on formal night are pretentious...That's ludicrous! I enjoy Formal nights & for those who don't wish to dress, so be it, but please don't deny me that right...

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was trying to get across!! The lido is a fine option if you don't wish to dress to evening code. There are ALWAYS options that will work if you try to find them. A different line, the bare minimum of the dress code, or the Lido just to name a few. In fact, heavily pregnant, I might opt for the Lido a few times on my next cruise ;)

I find it funny that someone's comment about not wanting to dine with someone was taken as an offense, but the comment about offending people who deserve it and not being sorry was totally glossed over.

I believe that if we all lived to please those around us a little more and just ourselves a little less we would all be happier people.

And, that's it from me. I agree with Copper, no one will ever change their minds. My grandmother said many times to never talk about religion, politics, and sex. I think we should add HAL Dress Codes to that list.

My grandmother said many times to never talk about religion, politics, and sex. I think we should add HAL Dress Codes to that list.

Dam, Mary, what the HAL are we supposed to talk about, then?? :D :eek:

A month to go and we'll be aboard the Noordam!!!! :D Yippie!

Archived