Carnival's Fuel Surcharge nearing an end...

tedjazz

As the Fuel Surcharge saga comes to a close in the very near future, I wanted to clear up a couple of rumors, misconceptions and misunderstandings about what is really going on. I have first hand experience and some answers right from the horse's mouth. First of all, there is no partial refund (OBC) being offered to passengers, as some may have reported, (those refunds are for over charges on port fees). They tell me the rules set forth in the convoluted formula will remain in place until it ends according the rules, sometime next week. The reason for this is because when the Florida AG investigated the thousands of complaints from already booked passengers and who were charged retroactively (they were booked before the surcharge was implemented) and Carnival was forced to refund those fees to those passengers (Millions of $$$) and they lost a pretty sizeable chunk of their profit and so now that they are able to recoup some of that money through their non-progressive refund policy, they are not going to give an inch. They are getting that money back from the passengers who have sailed over these past couple of months. So in short, Carnival does not deal in "Good Faith" IMHO. The Fuel Surcharge remains in place only for a couple more days and will soon be a moot point. My issue still is that Carnival could have handled this issue differently, with honesty and integrity. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only customer feeling this way. My source tells me that many, many passengers are cutting their spending on board and even cutting the Auto Tips out in response to this Fuel Surcharge fiasco. That is why I will not be cruiseing with Carnival again. CC is dedicated to those who "Love to Cruise" and I hope you all enjoy what ever you chose. :)

I knew of the fuel charge when we booked, we know how there refund policy works, we know if tomorro oil goes above 70 even 1 penny we do not get it back, guess what No smoke and mirrors, nothing convuluted.

Any refund would be a nice gift and not something to reduce the crews income for when we already knew about it, nuf said, this is such a sore subject already.

As the Fuel Surcharge saga comes to a close in the very near future, I wanted to clear up a couple of rumors, misconceptions and misunderstandings about what is really going on. I have first hand experience and some answers right from the horse's mouth. First of all, there is no partial refund (OBC) being offered to passengers, as some may have reported, (those refunds are for over charges on port fees). They tell me the rules set forth in the convoluted formula will remain in place until it ends according the rules, sometime next week. The reason for this is because when the Florida AG investigated the thousands of complaints from already booked passengers and who were charged retroactively (they were booked before the surcharge was implemented) and Carnival was forced to refund those fees to those passengers (Millions of $$$) and they lost a pretty sizeable chunk of their profit and so now that they are able to recoup some of that money through their non-progressive refund policy, they are not going to give an inch. They are getting that money back from the passengers who have sailed over these past couple of months. So in short, Carnival does not deal in "Good Faith" IMHO. The Fuel Surcharge remains in place only for a couple more days and will soon be a moot point. My issue still is that Carnival could have handled this issue differently, with honesty and integrity. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only customer feeling this way. My source tells me that many, many passengers are cutting their spending on board and even cutting the Auto Tips out in response to this Fuel Surcharge fiasco. That is why I will not be cruiseing with Carnival again. CC is dedicated to those who "Love to Cruise" and I hope you all enjoy what ever you chose. :)

Speculation . . . vodoo . . . you are just bitter.

Get over it.

You have no better idea than anyone else. :p

I have it on good authority that Carnival will reimpose it at any time they want and for any reason that they want. :)

My source tells me that because of the fuel surcharge people have taken pity on the crew and gratuities are up over 50%, and on board spending has substantially increased. :D:D

Carnival is probably the most above board of any of the cruise lines.

But you'll never know because you won't come back.:)

Speculation . . . vodoo . . . you are just bitter.

Get over it.

You have no better idea than anyone else. :p

I have it on good authority that Carnival will reimpose it at any time they want and for any reason that they want. :)

My source tells me that because of the fuel surcharge people have taken pity on the crew and gratuities are up over 50%, and on board spending has substantially increased. :D:D

Carnival is probably the most above board of any of the cruise lines.

But you'll never know because you won't come back.:)

Bitter? No disappointed...

My information comes from Carnival Employees, would they Lie? Maybe they would, you might know better.

Carnival can do whatever they chose with their Fuel Surcharge, it matters not to me.

Above board, pun maybe... that is not my experience.

You are right...I won't be back.

I do hope you enjoy your experience. :)

Bitter? No disappointed...

My information comes from Carnival Employees, would they Lie? Maybe they would, you might know better.

Carnival can do whatever they chose with their Fuel Surcharge, it matters not to me.

Above board, pun maybe... that is not my experience.

You are right...I won't be back.

I do hope you enjoy your experience. :)

Most of us always do and I'm happy to sail with Carnival.

Ted your arm has to be sore from beating this dead horse for so long. :D

Like I said, just clearing up some misconceptions. :) Some folks are interested in the truth, I know I am. Besides, it's almost over, next month people won't even remember they paid a Fuel Surcharge, well except for me and I'll never forget. ;)

Go ahead and go somewhere else. Nobody cares. I just got home with my wife and 2 kids after 8 days on the Spirit and we had a blast !!! We also got 15.00 per person OBC and I don't care what it was for. Service was awesome, ship in good shape, crew did a great job. NO COMPLAINTS HERE !

Like I said, just clearing up some misconceptions. :) Some folks are interested in the truth, I know I am. Besides, it's almost over, next month people won't even remember they paid a Fuel Surcharge, well except for me and I'll never forget. ;)

The only thing you are clearing is YOUR misconceptions.

Go ahead and go somewhere else. Nobody cares. I just got home with my wife and 2 kids after 8 days on the Spirit and we had a blast !!! We also got 15.00 per person OBC and I don't care what it was for. Service was awesome, ship in good shape, crew did a great job. NO COMPLAINTS HERE !

Thanks for the advice and I will be taking it...somewhere else. I am glad that your experience was a good one for you and your family. I hope that all future cruises experiences are as wonderful as all of your past ones.

Just so everyone knows, I don't expect everyone to embrace my point of view, as a matter of fact I am probably in the minority when I present a dissenting opinion of Carnival here on the Carnival thread. I am just presenting my opinion and what apprears to be the truth as it relates to my knowledge and experience. :)

As was said in A Few Good Men: You can’t handle the truth! so you make up garbage and try to pass it off as the truth.

Thanks for the advice and I will be taking it...somewhere else. I am glad that your experience was a good one for you and your family. I hope that all future cruises experiences are as wonderful as all of your past ones.

Just so everyone knows, I don't expect everyone to embrace my point of view, as a matter of fact I am probably in the minority when I present a dissenting opinion of Carnival here on the Carnival thread. I am just presenting my opinion and what apprears to be the truth as it relates to my knowledge and experience. :)

I also believe the cruiselines were unfair and have been ripping people off, so Ted, I don't blame you a bit.

I also believe the cruiselines were unfair and have been ripping people off, so Ted, I don't blame you a bit.

That's really my point here, not whether people enjoy cruising or the related experiences, it's just about the dishonesty and lack of integrity coming from Carnival in this case and I suppose the cruise industry in general. Some people don't mind being lied to and that's their perogative. For me, "Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining". ;)

Do you plan on cruising again? NCL, RCI, and X aren't stopping their surcharge until January 1, 2009.

Whatever you decide to do with your vacation dollars have a great time.:)

I knew of the fuel charge when we booked, we know how there refund policy works, we know if tomorro oil goes above 70 even 1 penny we do not get it back, guess what No smoke and mirrors, nothing convuluted.

Any refund would be a nice gift and not something to reduce the crews income for when we already knew about it, nuf said, this is such a sore subject already.

If oil goes up to $70.01 tomorrow they're not giving us our money back?

I thought all they said they was that they had the right to start it up again at anytime.:confused:

Bill

Can someone answer this for me? I have 3 cruises booked now, all with the fuel surcharge included. I have not paid any of them in full. So, if they do away with the fuel surcharge before I make the last payment, will they just take that amount off my total amount due? Or will they give me an OBC? I will be paying the March cruise off soon, so I'd like to know this. Actually, I'd rather have OBC! Thanks.

Do you plan on cruising again? NCL, RCI, and X aren't stopping their surcharge until January 1, 2009.

Bill

Yeah, we do plan on cruising again. The DW and I love to cruise and we will again, but (and most people don't understand this) I will not pay for something that is non-existant, (if I can help it) in this case High Fuel Prices. (From the time I booked, to the time I last cruised oil dropped more than 60%, but the Fuel Surcharge didn't go away) It will probably be RCCI and I will hope that more progressive policies are in place to deal with these kinds of situations or I won't book with them either. If not I will use my vacation dollars where I don't feel like I've been hosed. Thanks for the well wishes. :)

Can someone answer this for me? I have 3 cruises booked now, all with the fuel surcharge included. I have not paid any of them in full. So, if they do away with the fuel surcharge before I make the last payment, will they just take that amount off my total amount due? Or will they give me an OBC? I will be paying the March cruise off soon, so I'd like to know this. Actually, I'd rather have OBC! Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it will be an OBC, but you might check with Carnival.

If oil goes up to $70.01 tomorrow they're not giving us our money back?

I thought all they said they was that they had the right to start it up again at anytime.:confused:

Bill

stirthepot.gif

According to CCL's website you should get it deducted from your final payment.

For all existing bookings made prior to December 4, 2008 for cruises departing on or after December 17, 2008, the fuel supplement will be refunded. The refund of the fuel supplement will be made in the form of a shipboard credit for all bookings within the final payment period. All bookings outside of the final payment period will be adjusted to remove the fuel supplement and guests will be provided with a revised final payment amount.

Bill

Archived