Disney cruise line raised their price by 40%?

Presentation

Disney cruise line raised their price by 40%?

I am in shock. I am starting to prepare for our January 2010 cruise. With the prices I got from the Disney cruise line website, the prices have gone up 40%.

Past cruises, all have been booked a year in advance, with the sail date the last week in January, all Disney Magic in the same room, all Western Caribbean, same family of 5. Always we are looking at the cruise + taxes, nothing else.

January 2007 = $5,670.25

January 2008 = $5,851.25 up 3%

January 2009 = $5,899.50 up 1%

January 2010 = $8,243.95 up 40%

I have this booked

Disney Magic – we booked this a year ago. We booked this onboard so we did get a $200 onboard credit. The price shown does not reflect this $200 credit. Other then that, we could have booked online and got the same price.

January 24, 2009

2 adults, 3 kids in a category 4,

Price for the cruise and taxes, no insurance, no tips.

$5,899.50

From Disney’s website

Disney Magic

January 23, 2010. Same itinerary as above.

2 adults, 3 kids in a category 4,

Price for the cruise and taxes, no insurance, no tips.

$8,243.95

$8,243.95 vs 5899.50 is a 40% price increase.

Also, the ‘recommended tips’ has gone way up. All of these are for a family of 5 on a week long cruise. These are the Disney guidelines and include the server, assistant server, head server and room steward.

2008 $381.25

2009 $420.00 or up 10% in one year. Sorry I did not keep this detailed excel sheet before this. From 2008 forward I keep a detailed expense sheet.

We have sailed on Carnival in the past. We prefer Disney but at a point I need to say its not worth the additional cost. Unless the prices drop so they are more consistent with inflationary increase, we need to look at other alternatives.

I also noticed that when I was looking to book our 2010. It cost so much more than the same cruise in 2009. I am so surpised - with the econopmy how can they justify such a increase?

If they are still filling the ship, then the increase is justified. As long as there are enough people willing to pay the higher prices and they sail full, there's no incentive whatsoever to reduce prices.

If they are still filling the ship, then the increase is justified. As long as there are enough people willing to pay the higher prices and they sail full, there's no incentive whatsoever to reduce prices.

Of course you are correct.

Regardless of what Disney can justify, this is beyond what I can justify.

I am going to have a talk with my spouse tonight about this. Unless the Disney website is not working correctly and these prices are incorrect, I’m sad to say the prices will get us to go back to a more economical line.

Actually, now that I have had a few hours to think about it, that may not be a bad thing. We have done the same cruise so many times now it’s become repetitive. It may be time to change things up.

We are not poor by any means, but I feel like Disney who has made tons of money on kids, is keeping more families from being able to enjoy a Disney cruise..I know it would be hard for us to afford $8000 for a family of 5? Come on Disney~:cool:

We are not poor by any means, but I feel like Disney who has made tons of money on kids, is keeping more families from being able to enjoy a Disney cruise..I know it would be hard for us to afford $8000 for a family of 5? Come on Disney~:cool:

hmmm. if I remember my economics class in college, lowering prices so more people could afford it would cause demand to be so high it would be very difficult to find an available cruise.

Kind of like Hannah Montana tickets, or getting a Wii when it first came out. It just won't happen.

Pricing appropriately ensures availability, so if you are willing to pony up the dough you can go.

Actually the amount posted by the OP is with insurance and transfers, the actual amount for that date for a group of 5 is $7503.95. My guess would be they could do the same cruise with two cabins for less than the cost of the family state room.

I have noticed the same price increases on all cruise lines for 2010 in comparison to rates for 2009. I would say the 2010 prices will come down once we get more into 2009.

Actually the amount posted by the OP is with insurance and transfers, the actual amount for that date for a group of 5 is $7503.95. My guess would be they could do the same cruise with two cabins for less than the cost of the family state room.

I have noticed the same price increases on all cruise lines for 2010 in comparison to rates for 2009. I would say the 2010 prices will come down once we get more into 2009.

Thank you for taking the time to check this.

I never chose transfers or insurance online. The Disney website may include these automatically now. That is good information to know.

Using the figure you posted, the price increase is still 32%.

You make a good point that it may be less expensive to book 2 inside adjoining staterooms. I’m not arguing with this tip, only saying that had we booked two adjoining staterooms for our January 2009 cruise, the cost would also have been less.

So doing a apples to apples comparison, at least at this time, the rates are up 32%.

If Disney has determined that they can still sell enough rooms that this makes financial sense for them, it is what it is.

I’m at the top of what we wish to spend now. A 3% increase I’d re-book. A 32% increase and we will need to do a different vacation.

Initially, this morning, I was shocked. But after spending some time looking at another brand and the water activates they offer for the kids and so on, I’m thinking this is what we may do for the year 2010. Next, I’m going to see how much we can save if we do 2 adjoining cabins. I’ll make sure I check back with Disney so it’s fair comparison.

Again, this may be a good thing for us in the end so please don’t think that I am mad. I’m not mad.

Again, thank you for your help.

I had looked at Disney prices for years and had never been able to afford them, not to mention it was harder for me to come up with $1000 deposit. Now that they offered the half off deposit I was able to book with $500 instead. I was able to come up with a 7 day in November 2009 for $2700 which is pricier than other lines but I figured not a bad price for Disney in comparison to some other dates I was checking.

Remember you can always book and cancel before final payment is due, not to mention they will do a price adjustment. I have a booking for Sept. that the price dropped $312 which they adjusted which made that trip even a little more affordable. Considering I have two trips booked with inside cabins with 4 on one and 2 on the other, I have booked essentially for 6 people at $4300 which is way under the $7000 they are asking.

Is Disney baiting us for the new ships that might sail in late 2010? If they jump the rates on the older ships, they could easier charge the same or higher prices on the newer, larger ships dramatically increasing their bottom line. The demand for the new ships will have to be very high.

Is Disney baiting us for the new ships that might sail in late 2010? If they jump the rates on the older ships, they could easier charge the same or higher prices on the newer, larger ships dramatically increasing their bottom line. The demand for the new ships will have to be very high.

I don't think so. A large part of Disney's cruise business is repeat cruisers. In order to fill their new ships, they are going to have to make a lot more repeat cruisers and that means getting more first-time cruisers now. Unless there's some sort of pricing fluke here, a big increase doesn't make sense.

I don't think so. A large part of Disney's cruise business is repeat cruisers. In order to fill their new ships, they are going to have to make a lot more repeat cruisers and that means getting more first-time cruisers now. Unless there's some sort of pricing fluke here, a big increase doesn't make sense.

If you look at the OP's 2009 cruise, there are still cat 4 cabins available and they are currently quoted at about the same price as what she is reporting for the 2010 reservation. It appears that when she booked her 2009 cruise there was a discount for booking so far out, and that discount is not applicable to the 2010 cruise. So it's not that the fare has jumped so dramatically, its the fact that a promotion that was offered a year ago is not being offered now.

....it's not that the fare has jumped so dramatically, its the fact that a promotion that was offered a year ago is not being offered now.....

I’m not saying you are incorrect. I’m just pointing out that the promotion that we got that we did not even know about must have been running for years.

This January 2009 cruise that we have booked will be Disney cruise #9 for us. All 9 have been on the Magic, most have been in this same room.

Well actually promotion is probably the wrong word. I'm just saying it APPEARS that they used to price the cruise lower 12 months out then raised it as it got closer, and this year they aren't doing that. I'm just going by the fact that the 2009 cruise is priced today at approx the same cost as you are seeing for the 2010 cruise.

2010 prices are confiscatory. I don't think there's any argument to be made there. They were that way when released. It will be interesting to see what happens in the meantime.

Right now I've got a 4-night January and a 4-night August booked for 2010. Both are with groups. Looks like the January will stick but the August has already fallen apart. We were looking at $3600 for 3 (2A, 1C) in a Cat 7 in mid-August--and that's with an on-board rebook discount! :eek: That's a first-day-of-release booking, when it should be, in theory--and historically has been--the lowest price it's going to be.

It's insane.

mk

What I have noticed is that Disney is keeping their rates on cabins high but lowering the heck out of "guaranties". I was recently pricing an April 09 cruise out for 2. While the rates for all categories was just absolutely crazy (even compared to Royal Caribbean) their Cat 12 "guaranty" was $999/person....this was in comparison to the Cat 11 that was right around double that price and is pretty much the same exact category but allows you to choose a room. I have been reading that many people who are choosing Cat 12 guaranties are being upgraded to cat 9 ocean views....thats a pretty good jump...remember guaranties mean you get at least a Cat 12 but can be upgraded to any cabin that they choose. This tells me 2 things.....they have plenty rooms available if you can go from cat 12 to cat 9...and that that they have discovered a very clever way to keep people paying those stupid high prices that they do for Disney while getting others in at a cheap price......keep in mind that doing things this way means that they don't have to lower prices on other categories and refund credits;) I have sailed Disney and loved it....but I would never pay full price for one of their cruises....they discount the heck out of resident rates and guaranties...this is how they do it.

I have been reading that many people who are choosing Cat 12 guaranties are being upgraded to cat 9 ocean views

How do they find out?:confused: We just booked 8 Cat 12 cabins on Monday for the May 30, 2009 sailing on the Magic for $599 per person!!! I would LOVE to find out if we got upgraded to Cat 9 oceanview cabins!!!!:eek::D

How do they find out?:confused: We just booked 8 Cat 12 cabins on Monday for the May 30, 2009 sailing on the Magic for $599 per person!!! I would LOVE to find out if we got upgraded to Cat 9 oceanview cabins!!!!:eek::D

DCL starts assigning cabins at about 35 days out. YOu can look online, on DCL's site, starting around this time to find out your cabin. But, you may not find out until you arrive at the port or it will be assigned anytime in between. But don't expect it to be assigned any sooner than 35 days out.

If any of the families booked a cat. 12 for 4 people they will automatically receive an upgrade to at least a cat. 11 since the cat. 12's do not hold 4 people.

• 2 weeks later...
DCL starts assigning cabins at about 35 days out. YOu can look online, on DCL's site, starting around this time to find out your cabin. But, you may not find out until you arrive at the port or it will be assigned anytime in between. But don't expect it to be assigned any sooner than 35 days out.

If any of the families booked a cat. 12 for 4 people they will automatically receive an upgrade to at least a cat. 11 since the cat. 12's do not hold 4 people.

Thanks for answering the ?'s related to this;) all the above info is correct. I do have one thing to add.....I talked to DCL directly and was told that if you booked more than one room under a cat 12 they will even try to keep them as close together as possible....but of course can't guaranty that.

Archived