Splendor_San Juan_Bacardi tour?

Florida1947

We are on the Splendor leaving Dec. 20th. One of the excursions offered for San Juan is the Bacardi Evening Experience - Description: Experience the spirit and spirits of Bacardi, the largest rum factory in the world. Duration: 3.75 Hours.

Has anyone done this excursion and do you have any recommendations? :confused:

---------------------------------------

On this excursion you will:

Board a ferry for a short ride across the harbor.

Take a shuttle bus to the Bacardi Rum Factory, an approximate 15 minute drive.

At the Bacardi Factory, you will enjoy a visit to the Rum Museum where you will learn about the age-old processing of this fine Rum and its family history.

Have the opportunity to enjoy the aromas of the different kind of Rums & see the replica of the first distillery built in Cuba 1862.

After the tour, you will enjoy two complimentary drinks and the Bacardi gift shop.

On your return trip you will make a 15 minutes stop at Plaza Colon Square where you can take photos of San Cristobal Fort and the historic surroundings of San Juan.

Have an optional drop off in Old San Juan or return directly to your ship.

Note: Guest will not go in the Bacardi Rum Factory, but to the Rum Museum.

I did a similar tour through Princess, however this was a tour the day we left the ship. We had time to kill before catching our flight home (late flight, 4:45), so we did this tour. It was great in that it served its purpose (we had something to do and someone to hold our luggage while we waited for our flight), but honestly, the Bacardi Factory was a bit of a let down. Apparently, you used to be able to tour the factory itself (which would have been pretty interesting), but now all you see is a "museum" and a replica of the old distillery equipment.

The fort was interesting, although it was HOT that day.

We did the Barcardi tour two years ago. It was a let down from what we were expecting. You tour a special museum that was built on the factory property for the tour. You get a few shots for free. Barcardi liquor was cheaper at the airport duty free shop if I recall :)

I don't know what your schedule is, but for others: during the day you can take the ferry (about 25 cents) across the bay, and from there grab a taxi to Barcardi. A lot cheaper than the tour through the cruise line. This time of year, at night, the Christmas decorations in OSJ are pretty nice, and free. Lots to do in the old city.

As others have mentioned, the Bacardi Rum Distillery is an interesting place, and I would highly recommend a visit, however, NOT if your only option is one of these night tours.

Here are the main reasons:

- The price of the tour is a ripoff. If you do this tour on your own during daylight hours, the actual admission to the distillery is FREE! However, the only way to go into the distillery at night is through this Carnival sponsored excursion so the price jumps from FREE to an insulting $79pp!

- During the day, you can actually tour the bottling line during production and see actual employees at work. However, on these night tours the actual factory is closed, all the employees are gone so this part of the tour is skipped.

Finally, there are TONS of other things to do in San Juan at night. We just returned about a month ago and had a wonderful time! You can check out my pictures by clicking on my signature at the bottom. I also posted a review of our cruise with detailed information on what we did while in San Juan: Review

I live in San Juan 3/4 of the time, and I wouldn't advise actually paying for this trip. It's okay if you are here all the time and it only costs you gas to get there. The tour is, as was reported, absolutely free. That free includes the two drinks they give you.

And yes - it is far cheaper to buy run from the supermarket. The only thing that is special is that you can buy a very aged rum here that can only be bought at the factory.

We did the Bacardi Factory Tour on Christmas Day because it was the only thing open.

It was very interesting and dissapointing at the same time.

Their "Museum" is a mock "museum" that takes about 5 minutes to see, IF you walk really SLOW.

The trick is, they give you a LOT of "free rum drinks" (to get you good and liquored up), and then they hold you hostage in their "Gift Shop" aka, liquor store, for an hour and a half while you spend LOTS OF MONEY on alcohol while waiting for your bus to take you back.

So basically, it's a tour of their Liquor Store.

It's well thought out.

The only reason I say it was interesting is because, I didn't know what a Mojito was until I went there. For that, I will always be greatful. :D

The trick is, they give you a LOT of "free rum drinks" (to get you good and liquored up), and then they hold you hostage in their "Gift Shop" aka, liquor store, for an hour and a half while you spend LOTS OF MONEY on alcohol while waiting for your bus to take you back.

So basically, it's a tour of their Liquor Store.

Thank you VABeach. This was very helpful. :) We will find something better to do with our 6 evening hours in OSJ

And yes - it is far cheaper to buy run from the supermarket. The only thing that is special is that you can buy a very aged rum here that can only be bought at the factory.

That's good to know. Thank you. ;) We will find something better to do with our 6 hours in OSJ

Archived