Quick Hello from the Legend - Panama Canal

SantaAna,CA

Just wanting to say hello to everyone from Seabourn's Legend. We were in Hunting Caye today for the spectacular beach barbeque. I've been to this event on Virgin Gorda and Mayreau, but I think this island was the best ever. And did we have a glorious day! Beautiful! It was wonderful.

We have had very, very good weather. Only a couple of rough nights at sea, and one rough day traveling to Honduras; but in our ports we've been very lucky. The Panama Canal was amazing, and I was very impressed with the Seabourn excursions I've done; water rafting, zip lining, the sloth sanctuary. Tomorrow we are in Belize city and I've booked a dive to Ambergris Caye. I did some diving in Honduras, but honestly wasn't that impressed so I hope tomorrow makes up for it.

We had Rock the Boat last night, and what a hoot! Matthew (sorry can't remember his last night) is subbing for Erik deGrey, and he and Rachel Williams (beautiful, talented contralto) and Speedy Gonzales (his real name) and Christina sang alot of fun songs. It was a lovely, balmly evening and everyone seemed to have a blast. Liar's Club is tonight, one of my favorites. The last two days of our cruise we are at sea towards Ft. Lauderdale, and I've been in cahoots with a trivia team, the Wise Guys. We are still in the running so we'll see what happens!

This is the first Seabourn cruise I've done that is actually a 14 day cruise, not two back to back 7 day cruises, so we've kept all the passengers, of course, and it's very nice getting to know people. I think I've made more friends this time than ever. I've had a great time at the hosted tables meeting people, too.

Well, just wanted to check in and let everyone know Seabourn is doing their usual superlative job at making their guests feel like royalty. Oh! You know on that other thread, where I asked about Excedrin? The other morning my doorbell rang and there stood Dr. Mikel, bottle of Excedrin in hand. He didn't say where he found it, but that to me is an example of what makes Seabourn so remarkable; going the extra mile for their guests. No wonder Conde Nast listed them first in small ships this year in "Traveler". As always, I feel it is a rare privilege sailing with them.

Best wishes everyone,

Jane

Hi Jane!

Delighted to read about your journey, and, somehow, not surprised to learn that your Excedrin "showed up"! Very nice; Very Seabourn!

Have a wonderful sailing to Ft. Lauderdale!

Best wishes, as always,

Paul ;)

who always loves the dressy, classy ladies!

Hi Jane

Sorry I'm going to miss you! I leave London on Thursday to board the Legend on Friday (airlines permitting!). Glad you had a great time and looking forward to my two weeks on board. I'm going to feel quite lonely, though, being without Patricia :( and not knowing the Captain or CD team. Hopefully, there will be some people I recognise.

Hello

Thanks for the report from the Legend. What did you think of your excursions? We are simple non-adventurous folks who do not dive. Would you be so kind to ask the folks who snorkeled or did other light things, what they liked?

We join the Legend on Jan. 2 and do the reverse route that you have just finished.

Thanks for your help

Josephone

Hi, Jose. I was very happy with each of the excursions I did. They were great. As a matter of fact, I would love to do this exact cruise again next year, because I heard so many good things about the other excursions in each port. My bank account is having other feelings about that however!

I heard reports from people who did snorkeling in both Honduras and Belize who were very pleased.

In each port there are excursions that are very low key. If you want a slower, more leisurely paced experience, Seabourn will have something for you. I had dinner at Monika's table last night (the shore excursion director) and she said she has gotten nothing but good reports back on all the tours, so I think you'll find lots of good things. If you love animals, I'd recommend the sloth sanctuary. I've never seen such cute little creatures.

Well, we're at sea today after a good day diving for me in Ambergris Caye yesterday. I took a little plane back and forth, and it worked out well (fortunately, since it would have been a long swim for me back to Ft. Lauderdale). Our last formal night is this evening and we have the Captain's Farewell party. Oh, that word.

As the Legend prepared to leave Belize last night, I stood on deck 5, at the very bow, and faced towards the bridge. Watching the beautiful lines of this ship rotate 180 degrees, in its stately fashion, against a darkening sky (as the stars made their appearance one by one) reminded me why I love Seabourn so much: there is a perfect combination of the beauty of the ship itself, the excellence of her crew and the interesting, friendly mix of her guests. Once again, it has been a rare privilege to be aboard.

Hope you have a lovely cruise, Jose.

Jane

I might have to do that cruise JUST to go to the Sloth Sanctuary! I was hoping to see lots on our South American cruise, but until some kids paddled up to us in the Amazon (we were in a canoe) and shoved a sloth at us for a $1 photo...I hadnt seen any! They are so cute would love to see lots more.....

Jane

Thanks for the information about the excursions. They all sound wonderful. I haven't seen sloths, so clearly I must go on the canoe tour.

We have had -20 weather in Montana and can hardly wait to get on board. Maybe we won't come back.

You might our excitement climb.

Sorry you have to leave the ship so soon.

Jose

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, how about that! Thank you for telling me, I had no idea about my review. Well, Seabourn is the one who is spectacular. I was merely reporting on their...um...spectacularness. They are easy to go on and on about. When I was on board, I was happy one night to see an invitation to the staff captain's table for dinner, as I planned to rave about the crew all evening. There are certain experiences in life that have a lasting impression, and Seabourn has supplied many of them!

I wish you the very best on your voyage; I'm sure you'll have a memorable trip!

Jane

Can't wait to board on 1/2. I already got my upgrade on CO to FL so that's a good start to the trip. I am nursing a sprained wrist (no longer wearing the immobilizer) and I had wanted to do the Zip Line. I think I may take it a little easier and do the snorkeling, tubing and the Sloth tour.

We have a place in Panama and I highly recommend the trip to Gamboa when in Panama City. We go there a lot and brought my father in law there last month. He loved it (especially the orchid farm)

Happy New Year to all.

Granny. You did, too, do that canoe trip in Costa Rica. You and I were both in the same canoe with the naked Indian.

oh dear, is it me or jagi who's memories are confused!! :confused: The naked indian was in Panama! (wasnt he?) :D In Costa Rica we did a tour to a coffee plantation.....only solution is to do the entire trip again just to make sure....have mentioned that idea to hubby....he isnt buying just yet...:rolleyes:

Guess what Granny was doing this time last year? Having a lovely cross country trip on Amtrak!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Steve. I always make my own diving arrangements, pre-cruise, before I go on Seabourn as they do not offer diving excursions.

What I usually do is search the island/port I'll be visiting with the word "scuba". Of course, the Panama Canal itinerary doesn't have all that many diving opportunities!

If you need any tips, let me know. I only dove in Honduras and Belize and was impressed with neither. Some folks on board who did snorkeling in each port said they saw lots of fish. I don't know where they went, but I sure wasn't in the same place!

Jane

Hi Jane, it's Eileen -- remember me from our very first Seabourn cruise on the Legend in April 2006? Just wanted to say hello and I enjoy keeping up with all your Seabourn cruises via this board. We are still trying to get back on board, but can never seem to find a 7 day March/April Caribbean itinerary that works with our schedule AND includes a little bit of golf for Bob! We also want to cruise the South Pacific and are hoping with the addition of the Odyssey we will see some of those itineraries in the future. Just got back from a family trip to Mexico over Christmas, it was wonderful! After our Seabourn cruise, we went to St. Kitts and Nevis the following year because we liked them so much when the Legend stopped there. If you ever get the chance, you have to stay at Nisbet Plantation Beach Club. It's like a Seabourn experience on land, the service is so good and it is a truly Caribbean resort. Last year we went to Antigua and going back in April, repeating a resort for the first time ever (Galley Bay) because it was so wonderful. Hope you are well and say hi to your sis!

Archived