Capt. Marvin vs Moby Dick vs Soto's

plunker

We did Soto's Stingray tour in January 07 and have booked it again for this month...this time with our kids.

I cannot speak to the other tour providers but for $35 I felt we got a great deal...professional, friendly, knowledgeable... with Soto's. They pick you up in a gold and black van and drive you to a beautiful street on a channel where you board a nice boat and head to 2 or 3 stops for swimming and snorkeling. I attached a picture of where we boarded.

I cannot wait to share this experience with my boys, nieces and nephews in just a few weeks. I hope you have a great cruise and excursion.

Happy Holidays!

IMG_0076.jpg.27f50989b60c3ee22e67baaf606a084d.jpg

We used Moby Dick's last week.....didn't have anything planned for Grand Cayman, didn't want to shop, and they were right there at the Pier. For $40 each, we felt it was adequate. Took a purple bus to the marina, then hopped on a smaller boat to the reef and sandbar. If you are a beginner snorkeler, they are not going to coddle you or teach you how to snorkel. In fact, I don't recommend them for beginners. But they got us there safely, and I was impressed with their knowledge and respect for the stingrays. These guys were up to snuff on their conservation and biology and I appreciated that. At any rate, they got us everywhere safely and on time, so I have no complaints!

Just back from a cruise stop in Grand Cayman and our third trip with Capt. Marvin's team. We did the three hour, 2 snorkel plus Stingray City.

Unfortunately the weather was chilly, rain off and on but we thought...what the heck, we're getting in water anyway so enjoyed despite the rain. We had approximately 20 onboard and the staff spent some extra time with a few of the kids who wanted to get in the water with the rays. One was around 5 yrs old and appeared to having a ball.

We have always found Capt. Marvin's group to be professional, friendly and safety conscious. I have no doubt the other groups are good as well but we just enjoy Capt. M so much that we don't have any reason to change.

Out of the companies listed above - only Captain Marvin's offers 2 snorkel stops along with Stingray City, for the same price. There is also Nativeway which has 2 snorkels stops for the same $40. The times of the tours are different, so depending on your time in port, that may help influence your decision.

Captain Marvins

We booked a private tour with Captain Ms - there was 10 of us so it made it great to have a boat to ourselves In addition, the Captain did a great job of adjusting the snorkeling tour so we missed all the big crowds.

Prior to the trip, all my calls and emails to Capt Ms I found them to professional and helpful.

I have recommended them several times and everyone I know who has used them have had great results.

Good Luck in your choice. You will have a great time in the Caymans.

• 2 weeks later...

We were with Moby Dick on 12/23/08. 35 people on the boat, with lots of room to spread out. The 2 guides were great and offered very personal service. My 2 kids had lots of chances to hold, feed and kiss the stingrays. The snorkling site was really cool - coral only a few feet down so you're up close and personal with the fish. This was our favorite cruise excursion!

Going on the Ruby Jan 17th and want to do the stingray and snorkeling excursion with one of the above companies. Anyone have any ideas on which is the best or are they all about the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you book your excursion yet? We are also on the ship with you and I am trying to figure out what excursions to do

We booked with Moby Dick but could always change. You dont have to give a credit card number or anything. I think they will all drop you off at seven mile beach or i think Capt. Marvin said he'd drop you off at the ship if you want.

We used a disposable water camera and got some nice photos despite overcast and rainy day. We were not told that the girl video recording the excursion was going to take still photos so we knew what to expect. These are from Capt. Marvin's in December 2008. As you can tell, the rays were very cooperative for photos...or maybe it was the squid I had :)

stingray.jpg.2a3e741b3d15610fde37215519790c4c.jpg

Stingraycity.jpg.29f3943e42759451e428211ee6fba29b.jpg

stingraycloseup.jpg.4285144ce0076447c4a5d0d54704e3b1.jpg

We've done Captain Marvin's a number of times and I can attest to the fact that he will time his arrival to swim with the stingrays just as other tours are leaving.

The first time we arrived, there must have been at least 50 tour boats with 1000's of people in the water. As we anchored and geared up, it seems that at least 90% of the people were out of there and it was calm as we dipped our toes in the water.

Archived