Room Keys

I am travelling on the Indy on 27 December (very excited). I have 2 rooms booked and going along with RCCL's (US) policy I have had to book myself with my son and my husband with my daughter (aged 17 and 15). I had to do this last year and when we got on board we swapped the rooms so we were together and so were the kids. I asked for spare keys to each room as of course I couldn't get into my own room with the wrong key card. They were quite reluctant to give me the keys, but they did. I didn't mention we were swapping rooms and nobody questioned anything. Am I going about this process in the right way - any suggestions??

It does seem a bit odd because when I book with RCI here in the UK I am able to book the kids in one room and us in another.... 2 different rules!!

I am travelling on the Indy on 27 December (very excited). I have 2 rooms booked and going along with RCCL's (US) policy I have had to book myself with my son and my husband with my daughter (aged 17 and 15). I had to do this last year and when we got on board we swapped the rooms so we were together and so were the kids. I asked for spare keys to each room as of course I couldn't get into my own room with the wrong key card. They were quite reluctant to give me the keys, but they did. I didn't mention we were swapping rooms and nobody questioned anything. Am I going about this process in the right way - any suggestions??

It does seem a bit odd because when I book with RCI here in the UK I am able to book the kids in one room and us in another.... 2 different rules!!

I think this is one rule that different RCI employees interpret differently.

I was told that, as long as you could see the kids cabin door from your door, then it was OK. It now seems that they have changed it to " the kids cabin must be next to, or accross the hall from, your cabin"

We have always booked the kids in their own cabins and never had a problem, where are your 2 cabins located, are they next to each other or accross from each other??

That being said, we always go to Guest Services and get a spare key for the kids cabin. One time sailing on Mariner, with my parents, we had me and Mum and my DD in one cabin and DW and Dad in another, to get the senior discount. Once on board, we went to Guest Services and asked for spare keys, they said, No problem, but why don't you just move people to where they are actually sleeping and gave us new seapasses, that worked for the cabins we wanted to be in, not the cabin we were originally booked in!! That saved carrying 2 cards

Hi English Rose...I'm going through the same issue on my 12/20 cruise. I just planned to ask upon check in what to do. I'm guessing I'll have to go to Guest Relations on board and get additional room keys. But, I'll be back on 12/24. I'll search out this thread and let you know what the outcome was.

Cheryl...on the other side of the pond :).

Thank you for the replies. Sounds as though I just got somebody not so happy on the Mariner, so hopefully this time it will be fine. I will try also to get the sea passes changed rather than carrying 2 keys. We did have cabins next door to each other, but as there was a price drop we have now booked an aft cabin on deck 7 and the kids in a promenade on deck 8. This will make them next door to our friends kids and opposite our friends who will be there to keep an eye on them and of course, we will be around for them all the time and they spend most of their time with us during the day.

By the way Cheryl - I am travelling with my friend who is also called Cheryl. Sounds like a good cruising name.....

• 2 weeks later...

OK...just got back yesterday. When we checked in at the port, I told them our situation with rooms and how we needed to switch so my DH was in mine and my 2 boys were together...and then the issue of room keys. He said you have to take care of that once on board at Guest Relations.

Went to Guest Relations as soon as we boarded at 11:30 and they were more than happy to switch the names of the passengers in the cabins so my DH was in mine and my 2 sons were together. They also provided us with extra cards that were used solely as room keys for the other cabin. They look like a Sea Pass card but say EXTRA ROOM KEY across the front.

Easy Peasy! :)

We've done this numerous times and have never had a problem. Well, once we did have a problem with the keys working right but it finally got fixed.

I'm going to say you probably just had a guest relations clerk who was having a bad day.

Archived