Shopping on the Ship - good or bad experience?

orchid72

I am interested to hear of your experience shopping with Colombian Emeralds International (CEI) on the ship. My experience has been very disappointing so far, and I have a feeling that I have yet to face more problems regarding the purchase I made.

The purpose of this post is three-fold: 1.) Provide NCL guests with some insight so they can make an informed decision before they deal with this company; 2.) Compare my experience to others' experiences hoping to put my mind at ease that some of the issues I have will be resolved to my satisfaction; and 3.) Provide feedback to NCL regarding their client's experiences with their contractor, CEI.

Lessons I learned: 1.) I will never purchase luxury items on the ship as I do not think I have much recourse as a consumer should anything go wrong. 2.) The deals on the ship are not really deals. 3.) Never apply for the dutyfree.com credit card if you are a Canadian resident because making payments on it will prove to be more hassle than it is worth.

In case you are curious about my experience, read on. If not, skip the rest of this post.

My husband and I went on a 7-day Med Cruise aboard the NCL Gem from November 9-16. On November 10, I wandered into the CEI store on the ship and saw an Omega watch that I had been eyeing for quite some time. Factoring in the discount they were offering, I thought that the price was relatively comparable to what I have seen in Canada. I decided I wanted to buy the watch that day as a memento of our cruise (I had to make the decision right away as the discount was a limited-time offer).

I proceeded to try on the watch, and was somehow convinced by the sales rep to purchase an Raymond Weil instead. He said that it was a better deal, because it usually retails for about $700 more than what they were offering. Since I know the Omega was being offered at a comparable - not competitive - price, I believed him and ended up purchasing the watch (I did not believe that their deal was that good, but I thought that at the very worst, their price would be comparable to land-based stores). I do not regret my purchase because I have never had an automatic watch before, and I do like my Raymond Weil (although in hindsight, I should have just gone with the Omega). (Side note: after some research, I found out that the price they were offering is the MSRP, which means it is highly likely I could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else. Also, when we got to England post cruise, I found out that the same watch was retailing for about $150 less at most jewellery stores and I would have been able to claim some of the VAT back, which means I would have probably saved at least another $150. Not a big deal, but I was disappointed at myself for believing the sales rep so easily.)

I was going to charge the purchase to my OBC account, but I was convinced by the sales rep to apply for their dutyfree.com card (underwritten by World Financial Network National Bank) so I could take advantage of their 1-year-no-payments-or-interest promotion. I usually recoil at the thought of applying for these types of credit cards because I am the type of person who pays off her credit cards in full every month, and I am very leery of department store/high interest credit cards promising interest-free credit. But I did apply for the card, and was granted a hefty credit limit. The merchant charged the purchase to the card, adjusted the bracelet to fit my wrist, and I was on my merry way.

Fast forward 28 days: I am now back in Canada, and was walking to work when the watch came off my wrist and came crashing on to the pavement. One of the pins on the bracelet had come off, possibly because it was not replaced properly when the bracelet was adjusted. I had to go to a Raymond Weil dealer to get it fixed, and although the watch was under warranty, I've had to pay $25 for shipping because they had to send it to the service centre. I am not happy about this, but it is what it is, and in the whole scheme of things, it is only $25. What I am not happy about is the fact that this probably happened because of someone's incompetence. (I have 2 other Swiss watches that I have owned for over 10 years, and I have never had this problem, so I know this is not a regular occurrence. Also, where the link broke off is where the sales rep would have made the adjustment).

To add insult to injury, a few days ago, I received my first statement from dutyfree.com and it explicitly states that the interest-free period is only 6 months. Again, not a big deal because I plan on paying it off in full ASAP, but I feel that I have been mislead by the merchant. (If you are a consumer hoping to pay off your balance in 12 equal payments without incurring any interest charges, this would throw your budget off.) Also, I was disappointed to learn that I could not make my payments online, and the only way to make my payment is to send it by mail (I do not have a US chequing account, so it will prove to be a little bit more inconvenient to send a US money order or bank draft, which is hard to trace should it go missing). In other words, if you are a Canadian, this is proving to be more hassle than it is worth.

I contacted dutyfree.com about the interest-free period being not what I was promised, and they told me to contact the merchant directly. I've therefore sent an email to CEI Customer Service and am patiently awaiting their reply on this issue and to see if they would reimburse me for the cost I incurred getting my watch fixed. I have the financial means to pay off the balance now so I am not concerned about incurring any finance or interest charges, but I just feel that I have been lied to, so I am doing this as a matter of principle.

In the meantime, I have done some research on WFNNB and am rather alarmed at how many people (US residents) have complained about how they "lose" payments and subsequently charge their clients extortionate amounts of finance charges. Also, some people have claimed that the credit card company has reported false statements on their credit reports and they have had a terrible time getting these reports amended. This is making me really nervous so I have decided that I will open a US chequing account with a Canadian Bank, and issue a cheque for my payment in full, which I will send either by registered mail or courier so that I could have proof of receipt.

I have never purchased anything major on a cruise ship.

One of the reasons is that in that environment, one has no ability to comparison shop -- unless you have been watching a particular make / model and have comparisons before you go on vacation.

There is no particular reason to think that high-end purchases, including original artwork, will be generallty at good prices on a cruise ship, in my opinion.

I have to say I have never been impressed with CEI. The first one I ever went into I was looking at a ring that had a nice size emerald in it. I was so amazed that they had this emerald for the price they were asking because it had such a huge flaw in it I could easily see it with my naked eye and they kept pushing it, trying to tell me what a good quality stone it was. As far as the ones on the ship, I have always found them to be not very friendly and not have a very good selection of men's jewelry so never have purchased anything from them. I do love shopping on the ship, I have to say, but not for major purchases, just for the little goodies you get in their "gift" shops, crystal, etc,etc.

I have never purchased anything major on a cruise ship.

One of the reasons is that in that environment, one has no ability to comparison shop -- unless you have been watching a particular make / model and have comparisons before you go on vacation.

There is no particular reason to think that high-end purchases, including original artwork, will be generallty at good prices on a cruise ship, in my opinion.

My opinion would be the same. Seems to me like folks, either out of pressure or boredom, flood the shops on the ships, buying all sorts of things that are MUCH cheaper on land..and where you've had time to comparison shop and compare.

On my recent cruise my in-shop purchases consisted of a tube of toothpaste and a couple of postcards.

When we were younger and tired, we shopped at CEI and purchased a watch ( which was actually a good deal) and some moderate jewelry- 1500 dollar range, 2000 watch. We put it on their "no interest" credit card- they left out a paper we were supposed to read and sign and we ended up fighting for about 6 months over a RIDICULOUS 24% interest rate- even though when we got home we decided to pay it off in full! It actually took phone calls to St. Thomas,as the corporate office in ?Texas? was no help. We got a hold of the sales clerk, who remembered us for having 3 kids under the age of 2 with us and finally got it straightened out. " Strangely" they had no copy of the paper we didn't get that we didn't sign....but they had some wacky accounting method and , even though it was paid in full within the month, they charged us the 24% and kept charging interest on the interest each month! They reported it to Equifax, which still shows up even though it is 7 years later. Fortunately it hasn't been an impediment to our credit availability as DH has a great job, but this simple annoyance COULD have caused a bigger problem for someone else. The office was so ugly in their treatment of us that I won't even look in their stores anymore or EVER buy anything from them. And despite numerous letters and calls, they will NOT cancel our credit card with them!

I found them unprofessional and okay, charlatains. Spelled that wrong. But you know what I mean.

Ketzela

I have to say I have never been impressed with CEI. The first one I ever went into I was looking at a ring that had a nice size emerald in it. I was so amazed that they had this emerald for the price they were asking because it had such a huge flaw in it I could easily see it with my naked eye and they kept pushing it, trying to tell me what a good quality stone it was. As far as the ones on the ship, I have always found them to be not very friendly and not have a very good selection of men's jewelry so never have purchased anything from them. I do love shopping on the ship, I have to say, but not for major purchases, just for the little goodies you get in their "gift" shops, crystal, etc,etc.

Terry-

i am a flawless diamond/emerald/ruby kinda gal. On our first NCL cruise we were listening to the shopping speech on the TV in our room after a day at the beach. The shopping expert was actually telling the audience that diamonds with visible flaws and visible inclusions are actually more valuable than the upper range of the 4 C's- she then proceeded to 'shunt" folks to the Columbian Emerald shop on one of the Saints- I think Thomas.

Now, I know some folks like a diamond with a little color- but OMG- DH spit out his adult cocktail when he heard this!

We have only been on Jewel class ships on NCL, but their shopping is a bit limited-I love the little souveneirs and blow up ships and occasionaly geet a LLAdro for one of my SIL's, but nothing great in the jewel department!

Ketzela

If you like what you are purchasing and you are happy with the price then go ahead and buy. I wouldn't use buying on the ship as a strategy for saving money (unless you have done your homework). I bought my wife a beautiful amber pendant onboard a few years ago. I have no idea what amber goes for elsewhere, but I was happy with the price and my wife likes it a lot.

Also, I have a hard time believing someone when they say they were convinced to buy something or talked into buying something they didn't want. No one forces anyone to buy something they don't want. Yes, sales people are good at getting you to buy but no once can force you to sign on the line if you don't want to. Usually it is a case of buyer's greed and letting emotion enter the transaction...thinking they are getting the deal of the century.

The only thing worth buying from duty free is cigarettes. And that's only when you live in a state where they are nearly $50 per carton.

The last 2 cruises I've been on advertised Crown Royal on sale but neither conveniently had it in stock. We even checked on the first night of our cruise this time. Nope.

So I did talk to the diamond people in our shop as we had a rainy day onboard, but I thought he was about double what the duty free diamond store was right by the dock in Cozumel on his tanzanites.

I am always amazed that people take their vacation on a cruise ship and then buy "duty free" and at art auctions. We have so many stores where we live with so many options, customer service, return policy, etc.

I just don't get it.

I always laugh at the "tax and duty free" push. Who cares if its tax and duty free when it still costs more than if you bought it at home?

Most of the items are at or around MSRP, just because you dind't pay tax and duty on it doesn't mean that you saved any money...

Chances are you could have gotten the item at home for at least 20% off MSRP and saved more.

Not to mention if you are buying over $1200 worth of stuff and live in the US you are paying duty on the overage when you reenter the US or lying on your customs form. Many states also require you to pay sales on it when you file your tax return too, unless of course you are lying on that too.

Terry-

i am a flawless diamond/emerald/ruby kinda gal. On our first NCL cruise we were listening to the shopping speech on the TV in our room after a day at the beach. The shopping expert was actually telling the audience that diamonds with visible flaws and visible inclusions are actually more valuable than the upper range of the 4 C's- she then proceeded to 'shunt" folks to the Columbian Emerald shop on one of the Saints- I think Thomas.

Now, I know some folks like a diamond with a little color- but OMG- DH spit out his adult cocktail when he heard this!

We have only been on Jewel class ships on NCL, but their shopping is a bit limited-I love the little souveneirs and blow up ships and occasionaly geet a LLAdro for one of my SIL's, but nothing great in the jewel department!

Ketzela

I have to post this, since we are on this topic. Every vacation we take, my dear sister comes over and checks on our cat every day to make sure she is ok, has plenty of food, water and just to make sure she isn't too lonely. We always try to get a little something as a thank you for her. Last May when we went to Alaska on the Star they would have tables in the lobby with a "sale" on watches, etc. Now to give you an idea, my sister has great taste (and expensive taste) in jewelry. She has rocks that could knock you out if she hit you with them.. LOL. So usually jewelry isn't something we would give her since her taste are way out of our range. Well... we were looking at the "sale" they were having and this one watch caught my eye. It was really a very pretty lady's watch, rectangle faced with crystals all around the face and all along the band and the metal was gold tone. So we bought it, keeping my fingers crossed my sister would like it, although it wasn't real jewels, real gold, etc. We paid $50.00 I think. Last week my brother-in-law and my nephew (my other sisters husband and son) were passing through Dallas and stopped at my sisters to say hello for just a few minutes. While there, he saw the watch we had giving my sister as a thank you. The next day I get a call from him and he wants to know where I got that beautiful watch and if it cost under a grand would I go pick it up for him to give it to my other sister as a Christmas present. LOL.. I had to laugh and tell him the story and how much it cost. He has made me swear on any future cruise if I see it to buy it so he can give my sister one too.. LOL. Stupid story I know but it cracked me up so much when he thought it might cost as much as a grand and we paid so little for it. LOL

GaryCarla.. I do understand why you say what you say, but you also have to understand that not every one buys stuff when on a cruise because it is duty free or a great bargin, etc. We have purchased three rings for me over the years and several watches for Doug as momento's of the actual vacation and to for special occasions that might have occured on the vacation. ie. Doug's birthday, my birthday or our anniv. It really is no different than someone buying a shot glass to remember the trip or whatever , except the cost.

GaryCarla.. I do understand why you say what you say, but you also have to understand that not every one buys stuff when on a cruise because it is duty free or a great bargin, etc. We have purchased three rings for me over the years and several watches for Doug as momento's of the actual vacation and to for special occasions that might have occured on the vacation. ie. Doug's birthday, my birthday or our anniv. It really is no different than someone buying a shot glass to remember the trip or whatever , except the cost.

After my last message, I should chime in on this too. We bought a very nice ring and necklace on the Dawn and couldn't have been more happy with the purchase. My complaint is just how they try and make you feel you are getting the best deal in the world, when you really aren't. :)

The only thing worth buying from duty free is cigarettes. And that's only when you live in a state where they are nearly $50 per carton.

The last 2 cruises I've been on advertised Crown Royal on sale but neither conveniently had it in stock. We even checked on the first night of our cruise this time. Nope.

So I did talk to the diamond people in our shop as we had a rainy day onboard, but I thought he was about double what the duty free diamond store was right by the dock in Cozumel on his tanzanites.

liquor also is a good deal if you want to lug it home. We too had the experience with Crown Royal, out of stock the first night. As for other things, we love to get the cheap $10 watches, they last just about from cruise to cruise and are fun. T shirts are ok,stuff like that. As for expensive jewerlry, no way. I like what the one person said, if you like it and don't mind paying for something, get it, because then it is worth the price, but don't think you are getting a great deal. This goes for duty free shopping in port as well.

Nita

My opinion would be the same. Seems to me like folks, either out of pressure or boredom, flood the shops on the ships, buying all sorts of things that are MUCH cheaper on land..and where you've had time to comparison shop and compare.

Only purchase I've ever made from the shops on board a cruise ship was an imitation pashmina wrap from the "$10 Only" store when I discovered I was a little chilly on "dress up or not" night...

Otherwise, I don't see the point. I can shop at home, and actually have the opportunity to comparison shop. Why waste precious vacation time on that???

Last year on Carnival Triumph, I saw a Citizen Eco-Drive watch that really caught my eye. I priced the same watch while we stopped in Grand Turk and St Thomas and the ship's price was $50.00 less. Even after I returned home, I could not find a better price.

Aside from my wedding ring, the first ever "good" ring my DH bought me was purchased onboard the Norway in the H. Stern boutique. It's a blue topaz ring that has small diamonds on either side. This had to be mid to late '80s (it was our first cruise on the Norway) and to this day I still wear the ring.

We did later have it appraised and it appraised for almost twice what we paid at the time - now of course it's priceless because of the memories!~

Do they sell things on the ships? Why didn't I know that??!!?

It sure would be nice if they would let people know these things! How about making constant announcements, putting flyers in the dailies, locating the shops in the atrium, or having tacky yard-sale-like sales in the atrium so you can't even walk through??!?

I bet if they did those things, they would get people to buy things on the ships.

Sea Hound:D

Do they sell things on the ships? Why didn't I know that??!!?

It sure would be nice if they would let people know these things! How about making constant announcements, putting flyers in the dailies, locating the shops in the atrium, or having tacky yard-sale-like sales in the atrium so you can't even walk through??!?

I bet if they did those things, they would get people to buy things on the ships.

Sea Hound:D

Weird, huh? The other day someone mentioned that they had bingo onboard....BINGO! After a few cruises I had no idea. What will they have next, art auctions? ;):D

To Ketzelacruising

Your story makes me cringe, yes all natural emeralds have visible flaws..but for someone to suggest that a diamond with flaws visible to the naked eye might be worth more should be thrown overboard.

I was in the jewelry business for 17 years as a jeweler and also studied gemology during that time. I have been out of the business for quite a while, but things have not changed that much.

To Ketzelacruising

Your story makes me cringe, yes all natural emeralds have visible flaws..but for someone to suggest that a diamond with flaws visible to the naked eye might be worth more should be thrown overboard.

I was in the jewelry business for 17 years as a jeweler and also studied gemology during that time. I have been out of the business for quite a while, but things have not changed that much.

Maybe it is like saying, fake fur is more valuable than the real thing and authentic fake fur is still more valuable??? lol

I am always amazed that people take their vacation on a cruise ship and then buy "duty free" and at art auctions. We have so many stores where we live with so many options, customer service, return policy, etc.

I just don't get it.

Hi, Garycarla!

Merry Christmas.!

I can explain this from MY personal point of view.....

Could be related to all those drinkie poos they serve at the art auctions!

Seriously, now....

Sometimes it IS nice to get a piece of jewlery to remind you of a special trip or something that is hard to find at home. I seem to get something special each cruise- and it always reminds me of that vacation. I don't buy any large ticket diamonds or jewels- i leave my custom work to my jeweler here .As for duty free- I have saved thousands of dollars on my china and crystal over the years getting pieces in the duty free shops in port- I know the prices here at the best US discount I can get, and have gotten great deals on Portmerion, limoge, Baccarat, Waterford in the islands. Also if you have family members that are collectors- I have a SIL who is a LLadro freak- I always try to pick her up something- the prices are lower than in the states, no tax alone saves big- and the duty free stores have HUGE selections.

For some of us shopping is a fun part of the vacation! The only problem we have ever had was with Columbia Emeralds, and that was related to credit, not quality. But as I said in a previous post, they were not big ticket items

Also- watches can be an excellant bargain duty free- and top quality watches are serviced at authorized service centers in the US if there are problems. DH used to be a watch junkie and he also saved tons on his watches. If you have an honest jewler here in the states, they will tell you that. We have a jewelr who gets us a huge discount on high -end items, but even he cannot beat the watch prices ( usually) in the Caribbean.We also go armed with the proper info and know what china/watch/whatever we want. Now with the children we don't shop as much, but I have wonderful memories of me and Mike in different locals strolling, soaking in sights, popping in and out of shops... he has given up the watch thing, however, ever since he got run over while wearing his Breitling that we bought in St. Somewhere- we didn't find it til the next day, run over by cars and it STILL WORKS!! He took this as some sort of sign....I digress

If you have a particular perfume/cologne that you wear you know the price and can get a great deal sometimes on board or in port.

This all said- I have never bought jewelry on a ship( except for a cute Mickey watch on DCL )and did, once, buy several animation cells on RCCI after I drank to much champagne! I priced them when we got home and it turned out tht we paid under list price and the frames were thrown in- plus we LOVE them and I bought them on a cruise and had our babies within 8 months ( they were early) So the animation art reminds me of our last cruise before becoming parents and of our desire and long struggle to have children- all which turned out with our 3 beautiful tots!

Nowadays with the extra weight and baggage fees, however, I am sure that duty free shopping may take a hit- I don't know how people get all that booze back home!

Happy Holidays to you all!!

Ketzela:rolleyes:

To Ketzelacruising

It is almost unbeleivable- but true! We watched a replay of it later in the cruise- and it weren't edited out!

So you are out of jewels and into Wine- cool!:D

Archived