Currency question

venny

We are doing a Baltic cruise in May and it would seem that small change will be required in 4 or 5 currencies. Is this available on board or should we take some with us. ATMs are all very well but may not be near the dock.

Maybe some of you have experience of this.

Ian & Mary

I think most places will take Euros so I am taking some from home & hitting the ATM as needed.

I know Copenhagen has an ATM at the dock but not sure on Tallin, Stockholm & Poland, maybe someone will comment on those ports.

Lyn

We took a taxi in Tallinn from the port to the top of the old town, and paid the driver in Euros. It was an easy walk downhill, back to the port from town, just be sure you know which pier you want so you don't walk out of your way.

As we strolled off the ship in Copenhagen, a bus was waiting a few steps away. I am sorry but I cannot remember whether we paid in Danish Krone or Euros, but it was very inexpensive. The bus conveniently dropped us off at the old square, near the D'Angleterre Hotel and Nyhavn, where we hired a driver to take us to Frederiksborg Palace in Hillerod. Upon our return to Nyhavn we took a canal/harbor cruise before returning to the ship,

and we paid in Euros for that, and used a credit card for the driver who took us to Hillerod.

In Gdansk, we walked 4 blocks to a currency exchange for Zlotys, which we used for a streetcar to take us into the center of town, about a 15 minute ride.

When we disembarked in Stockholm, the line for a taxi was quite long. Fortunately, there were two HOHO buses waiting, and the driver accepted either Swedish Krona, Euros, or US$. After dropping us at our hotel, we were then able to hop on the bus all day, for no extra charge. We then used a credit card for the taxi to the airport the next day.

We are doing a Baltic cruise in May and it would seem that small change will be required in 4 or 5 currencies. Is this available on board or should we take some with us. ATMs are all very well but may not be near the dock.

Venny-

To answer your question specifically, yes, the front desk does stock small amounts (and small denominations) of each local currency.

The exchange rate is less favorable than what you might get if you shopped carefully from home, but, as in anything, you pay for convenience and flexibility.

Perhaps it will ease your mind, a bit, to hear that the taxi's in many countries on the Baltic itinerary now accept credit cards, as of course, do almost all restaurants and shops.

Similar to the system in the United States, they display window decals, so you know whatyou are "getting into".

Have a wonderful cruise!

S&J

Archived