On board gifts - Flowers

Green Onions

I was looking at the on-board gifts section of the HAL website and have a question about the flowers.

The prices seem comparable to standard florist rates, but the bouquets appear to be small. What type of experience have others had ordering flowers?

Thank you.

I ordered a low-priced bouquet for a friend, and he said is was lovely. I then ordered the same bouquet for another friend, with whom we sailed, and I saw hers. I was impressed -- it was a LOT of flowers, cut short, and packed into a low vase. Definitely worth the money. And they were still fairly fresh at the end of the cruise (10 days). I'd order them again if I needed a bon voyage gift for someone.

Ordering flowers sounds like a good idea. Are they waiting in your cabin or delivered later? Also, do you keep the vase? Would you want to?

Not sure how my wife will feel if they are still fresh and we have to leave them behind (we're on a 7 day cruise).

My experience with ordering flowers is the same as the other posters. They are extremely nice and quite fresh and will most certainly last for a 7 day cruise. They are normally delivered to the cabin before embarkation begins and will be waiting for you when one arrives at your stateroom. Can't really answer about the vase. I do not recall that it was anything special.

I don't think the vase was kept by either party to whom I gave flowers. Certainly for the price, I can't imagine it would be noteworthy. Both parties had the flowers waiting in their cabin when they arrived.

Maybe if you meet someone on the cruise who is doing a b2b, your wife could give them the flowers to enjoy while they last. Or specifically ask your cabin steward to give them to a homesick crew member? Just a thought. Then she'd feel less bad about leaving them behind.

I don't think the vase was kept by either party to whom I gave flowers. Certainly for the price, I can't imagine it would be noteworthy. Both parties had the flowers waiting in their cabin when they arrived.

Maybe if you meet someone on the cruise who is doing a b2b, your wife could give them the flowers to enjoy while they last. Or specifically ask your cabin steward to give them to a homesick crew member? Just a thought. Then she'd feel less bad about leaving them behind.

We usually take the flowers with us to the airport and give them to the airline check in person, usually a female, who, unfailingly, is surprised and quite gratified given the typical surly masses with who she must deal daily.

If flowers are sent as a gift, you should check with the recipient to ensure the items actually arrive.

I recently ordered a Yuletide Basket for a friend sailing on the Dec. 7 sailing of the Zaandam. She never received the arrangement. Had she not followed up onboard several times after I mentioned it to her on the phone, I would have been charged without HAL providing the item ordred.

B

I have had Hal flower arrangements on several cruises and each time felt they were well worth the money and far better that I would get from a florist at home. A note of caution, however. Mistakes can be made and sometimes flowers are delivered to the wrong cabin. Make sure that the recipient knows what to expect. ( I had a beautiful roses delivered to my room instead of what I had ordered. Unfortunately both DH and I are allergic to roses.) The mistake was corrected within the hour.

and they were in the cabin when we boarded. I wanted fresh ones for 2nd leg and they had a really nice menu of selections at the front desk, better and cheaper than the pre order list. Next cruise I will wait until we board and order from the catalog. I recently called guest services and they claimed they knew nothing about this catalog. Check when you board and ask to order from the Dianthus catalog. Lots to choose from under $40. This was on the Noordam, but I think they have florists on all the ships.

Archived