Is RCI ruining Labadee?

There will never be a situation that pleases everyone. Apparently RCI believes that the changes or additions that they are making to Labadee will appeal to more of its passengers than they will deter guests from sailing with them or from going ashore if their ship stops in Labadee. Some complain about the "pushy" local vendors that they encounter or complain about being confined to a relatively small peninsula in Haiti, while others are concerned about security on an island which is extremely poor and has had frequent outbursts of violence (though usually well away from the area where RCI guests visit).

While each person is entitled to his or her opinion and is free to express that opinion here and elsewhere, it is a bit presumptuous to think that RCI does these things in some sort of vacuum and may not have considered your objections before planning these changes. If they are wrong, they will pay for their mistakes through fewer bookings. I suspect, however, that most of the things that they have planned will prove quite popular with the type of guests that they are aiming to attract to their ships. If we don't fit that model, perhaps it is time to revisit our choice of cruiselines.

What do you, another post that makes 100% complete sense.

Labadee is not an island. It is a penisula connected to the mainland. I also disagree with those who trash the local's market. We have bought absolutely wonderful metalwork there at a great prices. Plus it helps the Haitians who are allowed to sell there. If you don't like pushy behavior, stick to the first building and outside areas.

I've been there 3 times and done a medical mission into Haiti. I don't like straw markets anywhere, but do go to support the community. I am not a victim, I have never felt unsafe. The people are beautiful, but poor. They are not "savage", nor are they choosing to be where they are in life. Most of them were abandoned slaves, who were valued less than cattle and left behind on the trip to America. Then they were used to produce sugar cane and mahogany. Now the island has few resources and the hills have been deforested. Most of what Haiti is, I as an American, helped create. I see an incredibly resourceful person in the Haitian, and a weak person complaining about, well, most everything, judging them in the cruiser. Just my take. Like it or leave it.

I found very little difference b/t Labadee and Coco Cay, except in the market. You really can get some great buys in the market. To each his own. I could care less what people do on their vacation. Stay on the ship - it gives me more options. I don't do roller coasters, but don't mind it for people who do. It's vacation for me, so I have a good time and don't spend my week stomping my feet and being a victim.

I am looking forward to seeing how Labadee is changing. We will be there in 2 weeks on the Liberty. We will be there next time on the Oasis inaugural. I'm not a roller coaster girl, but I do like busy.

To others, look at it this way. They'll get a little theme park going, parents will then take all the little ankle biters there & the water park, then there may be some quiet beaches. :D

Royal Caribbean is not a Carnival or a NCL Royal Caribbean is the cruise line of innovations! Royal Caribbeans is not just going to build a ship with a pool and call it a day NO RCCL is going to build a ship with the latest innovations and continue to raise that bar. Any cruise line can give you a private island with a beach Royal Caribbean is only listening to there customers and developing Labadee into an island with non stop action!

Literly, on oasis, theres a bar that goes from one deck to the other, it rises.

And theres was ALOT of construction, its wierd, becuase there likes building house type things, but for who? And hidaway beach didnt have any construction thanksgivng week

Labadee was NOTHING before RCI showed up--how are they 'ruining' it? It's not like the locals used it...the poor things can't afford to "go to the beach".

You'll notice there are still fishing boats offshore....folks still live up above the beach area (if you look through binoculars, you'll see how absolutely poor and destitute the Haitians are) and really, nothing but improvements have been made there. If RCI leaves, they'll at least have electric connections and plumbing there!

if you take the zipline excusrsion, you leave labadee and u can see ALOT of security, and people right right at the gates trying to get in, and we even saw at least 20 people under like a little tent thing living poorly.

Any link to this rollar coaster buisness? will they charge 80 dollars to ride it like they do for the zipline?

RCI is just keeping in step with what the American public (apologies to all other world citizens) wants, "Change You Can Believe In." I, for one, didn't buy into that slogan and feel that RCI should leave Labadee the way it is. That's just my opinion. :)

When you say "leave Labadee the way it is" do you mean as it was before RCI leased it and developed it as a beach resort for their passengers, or as it has become since they first opened it to the publicc and as they have added features? If it is the latter, I guess the question is just how much development and what type of further development is acceptable to you and why that should be the criteria that they adhere to? :)

I haven't been to Labadee in a few years but I was saddened to read what is going on there now. I found the pristine setting to be very relaxing and peaceful. Loved the market and I have some very nice metal pieces collected from there. They make my kitchen and home happy with nice memories.

I understand how time changes things and markets have to compete but why take such a gorgeous setting and ruin it?

I always loved the beach day there. I doubt I will be choose an itin with that port anymore. I don't want to feel like I am at Six Flags while cruising.

So if I have to choose a cruise with Labadee, I guess I won't have to fight over deck chairs by the pool?

I haven't been to Labadee in a few years but I was saddened to read what is going on there now. I found the pristine setting to be very relaxing and peaceful. Loved the market and I have some very nice metal pieces collected from there. They make my kitchen and home happy with nice memories.

I understand how time changes things and markets have to compete but why take such a gorgeous setting and ruin it?

I always loved the beach day there. I doubt I will be choose an itin with that port anymore. I don't want to feel like I am at Six Flags while cruising.

So if I have to choose a cruise with Labadee, I guess I won't have to fight over deck chairs by the pool?

Perhaps it would be wise to wait and see just how much of a "Six Flags"experience it will be. The descriptions of how RCI is "ruining" Labadee might be a bit premature. Perhaps not, but some critics seem to be a bit hasty in their condemnation of something based on brief descriptions in a press release. I wouldn't be surprised if, after all is said and done, we won't be reading some posts with inside information of special locations on Labadee where those who want a quiet and secluded resting spot can enjoy their day. :)

I feel exactly the same. I would never again get off the ship in Labadee.

Then don't--who cares

We don't want people like you there anyways.

You probably don't like to have fun.

You probably never been on a zipline or a roller coaster since you were a child.

I was in Labadee last week on the Liberty with 4,000 other passengers. There was a long wait at the food service pavillion near the landing. But I really enjoyed this place. I ended up spending more time there than I planned. Now RC is building a new pier for two ships. It's going to be like Times' Square on New Year's Eve. Maybe that's why they are building more things to accommodate more people. There won't be enough beaches for everyone.

Both Oasis class ships won't be in Labadee on the same day, and it is unlikely that more than one RCI ship will be there at any given time, so while there will certainly be a lot of people on Labadee, I think that RCI will make sure that there are sufficient beaches and activities to handle them. I don't think you are giving them sufficient credit for understanding the consequences of what they are planning to do. The same kind of comments were made when they first announced their megaships and yet they seem to have succeeded in designing vessels that handle the increased number of passengers with a minimum of problems and little or no sense of overcrowding. :)

Now not that I was around on the boards when it happened, but from what I've read, people were complaining like crazy when RCI announced they would be installing a zipline. Yes there are those that still complain, but I think the majority of us are of the opinion that either we enjoy the zipline or are not affected by it enough to cause a stir. As people, we are all naturally resistant to change, so when RCI announces these new additions, its natural for many of us to be hesitant or questioning, but I'm sure if we look five years from now, we will have little to no complaints about the roller coaster etc.

In fact, if RCI is able to place the roller coaster in a place that is not currently being used as beach area, i think it will actually reduce crowding. We shall see how this all plays out, but it amazes me that half the people on these boards think they always know better than RCI. Yes, RCI's wrong sometimes, but they're professionals and I'm sure they carefully examined this decision.

Any Six Flag type experience on a cruise - and not to say this is what will happen out there - is totally not acceptable. If I have to remember Labadee for what it was, I will. My children want to remember how is was then and the good times we had there.

Labadee was a source of regrouping, time to our family and time well spent. Hot ride back to ship and wondering who was showering first! i still remeber my son getting back off the ship to buy some things I wish I had. I was so happy he made it back on the ship with the tender.

When you say "leave Labadee the way it is" do you mean as it was before RCI leased it and developed it as a beach resort for their passengers, or as it has become since they first opened it to the publicc and as they have added features? If it is the latter, I guess the question is just how much development and what type of further development is acceptable to you and why that should be the criteria that they adhere to? :)

I believe there's enough development already. It's fine the way it presently is. Except for the new pier.

I like the pier as it will make it easier to get on and off the ship (at the sacrifice of the great tender photos, while sad still worth it). When done right you can disguise a pier into the natural landscape (Disney's castaway cay). Even the alpine coaster seems fine as those are on ground level. You will never even know it's there unless you are by the entrance/exit. Those coaster never go above the tree line and just follow the curve of the land. The plans that they have announced don't bother me one bit. It sounds like they are making improvements while not ruining it. What did ruin it though was that zipline. Unlike the alpine coaster which will be out of sight the zipline shoots right across the skyline. You can't miss the thing and it ruins that whole side of the peninsula for anyone trying to relax. We went to Labadee before and after the Zipline and it was quite noticeable that things changed for the worse. Every few minutes you hear the loud series of wizes and scream followed by the bangs at the end of the lines. You could even see the zipline towers from the ship on the other side of the peninsula. This new plan on the other hand, sounds like the right idea. Better accommodations for people looking for excitement while keeping it away from those that want to relax.

We enjoyed our first visit to Labadee last Thursday. Granted, the only other "private island" I can compare it to is Princess Cay back in 2001 (which we thought was great back then).

I thought there was plenty of room and never felt like I was overwhelmed with other passengers breathing down my neck/sitting on top of us.

The biggest disappointment for us was the Adventure Ocean facility. It looks like they built a miniture H2O zone, which I think works for the 3-6 year olds but doesn't hold the interest of the older kids. I'm surprised that they weren't more innovative in the design of the kids activity area. I was hoping for something completely different and it seemed like the same old, same old (according to my 8 year-old grandson;))

I guess I am in the minority of someone that would love a 7-night cruise to Labadee, with 4 days at sea and 3 days docked at Labadee. I love not having to hassle with taxi's and motorized traffic. Let me get off the ship, plop myself on a beach chair and people watch all of my fellow passengers!

Let me get off the ship, plop myself on a beach chair and people watch all of my fellow passengers!

That's how I feel about Castaway Cay. I could be docked there for days, and would be REAL PO'd if they decided to "build it up."

It's a beach paradise. Why not leave it be?

I was in Labadee last week on the Liberty with 4,000 other passengers. There was a long wait at the food service pavillion near the landing. But I really enjoyed this place. I ended up spending more time there than I planned. Now RC is building a new pier for two ships. It's going to be like Times' Square on New Year's Eve. Maybe that's why they are building more things to accommodate more people. There won't be enough beaches for everyone.

Hey Tom! I hope you had a chance to see my post and pic of you on our Liberty board!

Back to the subject at hand. I too was on Labadee last week along with Tom & Wilda who are posting on this thread. I was also there two years ago sailing on the Voyager. I would like to comment on the following:

Too Crowded

Yes it's crowded but many beaches are crowded especially during hot summer days. After several days of trying to get a decent chair on the deck of the ship you should be used to a crowded situation. If you wanted a private beach paradise then you need to look into ClubMed or Sandals for your next vacation.

The Hatian Market

Yes they're pushy but I've seen the same tactics from Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, to a sidewalk bazaar in my native Greece, to my local flea market. These are people just trying to make a living. If you say you're not interested and mean it they will leave you alone. Not once were any of them too agressive, rude, or violent towards me or anyone I was with.

Development

Two years ago the zip-line was not there. Personally I don't like calling it a zip-line it looked more like a thrill-ride. I've been on other zip-line attractions and none of them were like that. Anyway, I didn't like where they put it but know that RCI wants everyone on the beach to see how much "fun" it is. The cost of $85 for a 1 minute 10 second ride is not fun to me. That's more than a single day ticket to any Disney theme park and even that's expensive in my opinion. But, if someone chooses to pay the money and participate why should I care? If they want to build more attractions let them. It's their property. People can decided for themselves if they want to support them or not. Like most here I am in favor of the pier. That will lead to less frustration getting on and off the property.

The Workers

Haiti is truly one of the poorest nations on Earth. I do think RCI should pay their Haitian employees more and perhaps give them bennefits. But is RCI any different than Walmart that buys products from sweatshops? Pehaps they're even better than that. I don't know for sure. What I do know is that these people who do work there at least have a way to make some income which they may not have otherwise. Some of them may complain, but I'll bet they're still thankful.

The bottom line is we have a choice to ignore any itinerary that has this port listed. Even if you are "forced" to go to this port you have the choice to stay on the ship. So what are we really complaining about? Let's be thankful that we are even able to be on such a wonderful vacation that has such options and enjoy them as we do.

Labadee is not an island. It is a penisula connected to the mainland. I also disagree with those who trash the local's market. We have bought absolutely wonderful metalwork there at a great prices. Plus it helps the Haitians who are allowed to sell there. If you don't like pushy behavior, stick to the first building and outside areas.

I bought some hand painted christmas ornaments at the market and have them on my travel tree. I also liked the market there and talked to some very nice people. I would buy there 100 times before I would buy anything in Jamaica.

Archived