Is RCI ruining Labadee?

I am absolutely in favor of a full fledged theme park in Labadee.

The ships mostly steering into Laba-world are the Freedom Class ships and Oasis Class ships.

Since kids are spoiled rotten (mostly by their parents :D) they will flock even more to these ships. That will leave us cruisers with the rest if the fleet.

The only thing I like to see in addition is a 4 Night cruise to Labadee (Sea Day-Laba World-Sea Day) so that parents with brats can take short getta-ways as well.

I even promote upgrading these ship's cabins to unlimited WiFii, PS2, X Box connections. The behavior I saw from some of the kids on our last 3 cruises is horrifying. I shudder to think that when I retire these kids will be running the country. :rolleyes::D

Your wish is granted. December 1st 2009 4 night Oasis of the Seas FLL - Labadee - FLL

Labadee has ALWAYS been one of our favorite stops. We've been there on Voyager, Mariner, and Freedom. Crowded? Not too bad, but very relaxing, with unbelievable views- especially from Hideaway Beach.

I have seen recent photos of our beloved Hideaway, with construction trailers and fencing on it, and it breaks my heart. I understand RCI's point of view, but I think they are ruining the experience. Obviously, I am in the minority, in RCI's mind. The beautiful thing is, I have the final say, not RCI. I can choose not to cruise there, to cruise there, but not get off the ship, or get off for a bit and then get back on. My choice. I'm not sure what we'll do, but it IS RCI's private port...

Labadee has ALWAYS been one of our favorite stops. We've been there on Voyager, Mariner, and Freedom. Crowded? Not too bad, but very relaxing, with unbelievable views- especially from Hideaway Beach.

I have seen recent photos of our beloved Hideaway, with construction trailers and fencing on it, and it breaks my heart. I understand RCI's point of view, but I think they are ruining the experience. Obviously, I am in the minority, in RCI's mind. The beautiful thing is, I have the final say, not RCI. I can choose not to cruise there, to cruise there, but not get off the ship, or get off for a bit and then get back on. My choice. I'm not sure what we'll do, but it IS RCI's private port...

Can you post the pictures please?

I just was there last week for the first time and came away with some pretty strong opinions that even surprised me. Initially it was one the stops I looked forward to the most since it was an island I have never been too. I have always wanted to see Cuba as well.

First of all, for the record, as of last week there is no quiet private beach. You are sharing 2-3 small beaches (some of which are not even swimable) with 2000 - 4000 of your fellow cruise passengers. You may be able to find a private hammock - but if you are on the beach - it is FAR from private.

As far as I can tell you don't (nor would you want to) have the ability to leave the private area to explore the rest of the island. It looks to be beautiful but anyone who reads or watches the news knows that this is one of the worst cases of poverty and malnutrition especially with children out there right now. It is VERY sad.

I loved the "idea" of stopping at private island until now. I will never again get off the ship at Labadee. Because of the extreme poverty when you go to buy the local goods, you are attacked, begged at, yelled at, grabbed and feel so bad by the time you are done that you almost feel guilty that you have the money to be on a vacation in the first place. I literally had people push items into my hand and tell me to come back later to pay......

The other issue I have with this stop is the inability to explore. When you go to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, St Thomas, St Maarten, the beauty in these stops is CHOICE. You can explore and see the different areas, beaches, activities and culture. Each visit you can discover something new. This is not the case with Haiti. Do they offer alot of activities in a small area, yes they do, and if that is all you are looking for then this is the stop for you.

With that said you are stuck in an area they call their own, yet you are nickled and dimed (or should I say $20 here $20 there) to participate in all these things they have to offer you. I spent $20 + 15% on two smoothies that I could have gotten on the boat at the juice place for half of that.

So my response to the OP is quite possibly yes. Maybe it helps the local community, I am not sure. But I am one who purposefully avoids doing what everyone else is doing and if you all are confined to the same area - that is impossible. Next time I will stay on the ship.

Are you for real? - private island does not mean "just for you" Holy crap! Did you think everyonone would get off the left side of the ship while you, would get off on the right side and proceed directly to paradise?

Listen

I know there are plenty who will disagree with my opinion. I am not here to sway anyone one way or another. Labadee has alot to offer many people just not me.

Am I for real??? Last time I checked I was real. I also dont think I am of a minority opinion. I have been to numerous islands in the caribbean and have found MANY large and small beaches with not alot of people that feel ALOT more private than Labadee. In fact, Labadee was the MOST crowded of any beach I have ever been to outside the US because everyone is confined to a small area. Like I said, my idea of it (and the various cruise lines marketing of private islands) was wrong.

I am responding to the question posed by the OP. If you dont like my opinion, so be it. But if I am on a cruise ship going to various islands (which is the point right?) than I personally do have an expectation to find a nice beach to relax and read and chill out - not with thousands of other people. This is my choice. Labadee takes that choice away.

Even though it seems that before some of the recent changes you could find a quieter beach, that is no longer the case. If you have been to Labadee recently than you know what I am talking about.

I will say that I would not eliminate a ship or route if Labadee was on it - I would just use it as an excuse to enjoy the ship more.

It kind of reminds me of an old movie "If its Tuesday it must be Belgium." In this case we should change the title to "It its Tuesday, what will be the RCI policies." Personally, I am still mystified as to why RCI would adopt any policy to alienate their best customers? Especially in a recession when cruise line bookings are falling like apples from the tree. We have started to believe that Mr. Fein has a dartboard in his executive suite and simply tosses a dart to define the policy of the day. Its almost enough to make me attend the annual shareholders meeting.

Hank

Just so folks understand, Labadee is a manufactured paradise from square one. There's concrete under the sand all over it. It does have some natural features like Dragon's Breath Point, but again, you're still playing in an area that was built up for tourism.

There's no harm in that of course, it's just what it is. It is not and never will be (barring some type of miracle) a slice of life in Haiti. You really don't want to see that at this point in time.

They've had the waterpark area there for a while, but it could definately use some upgrading to more permanent things. It was all inflatable stuff when I was there two years ago. Amusing for the kids, but not a big deal for adults. A couple of real water slides instead of the inflatables would improve it greatly in my book.

As for the Alpine coaster rumor, I wouldn't be too worried about that causing big problems with the scenery. Watch that youtube video that was posted and you'll notice that it stays very close to the ground for the most part. Alpine coasters don't tend to mess up the scenery like other coaster designs. They're designed that way on purpose.

I'd already read that the Haitian Market was a nightmare here on CC before I was there so I stay out of there completly. The first time someone got pushy with me would be the last. I'm afraid my instincts might take over and react accordingly. Avoidance is the better part of valor in this case.

Just consider Labadee as a Caribbean playground for all ages and I'd bet that's a pretty good guess where RCI is taking it. Some will enjoy it more than others, but that's life.

Labadee was NOTHING before RCI showed up--how are they 'ruining' it? It's not like the locals used it...the poor things can't afford to "go to the beach".

You'll notice there are still fishing boats offshore....folks still live up above the beach area (if you look through binoculars, you'll see how absolutely poor and destitute the Haitians are) and really, nothing but improvements have been made there. If RCI leaves, they'll at least have electric connections and plumbing there!

Whether passengers stay on the ship and do not go to Labadee, whether passengers book or do not book cruises that stop at Labadee, Haitians will still be in the most dire straits of poverty.

I feel that going to Labadee provides employment for a lucky few Haitians and sustenance for their families. The more features such as Alpine roller coatsters that Labadee offers, the more Haitians that can work there.

The more passengers who patronize the crafts market, the more Haitians can benefit from those purchases.

Avoiding Labadee does nothing to aleviate the unimaginable poverty in Haiti.

a lucky few Haitians and sustenance for their families.

Have you ever taken the time to speak with any of those lucky Haitians about how they feel they are being treated or if they feel they are being paid enough to sustain a living? We have and they do not feel lucky at all. Some told us on a recent trip that they are denied enough hours to receive benefits -- enough need work that they can manage their hours into enough short, part-time hours to avoid benefits. And they said the get the same thing those on ship do: we're feeding you on the day you work so $5/day should be plenty. These were not the guys who move your lounges over under a tree for you and stick their hands out, they were life guards to whom we got into a discussion after watching them save about 5 people from drowning when the water got rough quickly and people were out pretty far who could not swim. Their reaction times were amazing and they put their own lives on the lines to save these folks who had ignored the rules about where to swim.

I realize there are 2 sides to every story but don't just assume the Haitians are happy to have their island taken over. I can give you the email addresses of some of the workers who will be glad to share photos of their villages and how they live.

RC has only built the "worlds largest" ships in the past years because it is more profitable to build and operate a bigger ship that carries more people than a smaller. A Freedom Class ship makes more money than a Radiance per square foot. The more people they can get on a ship the better the return on investment. RC is doing everything they can to attract new customers to fill their ships. RC looks to the boards to take a temperature regarding things such as service issues, new policies , menus, dining proceedures etc...we are a free and dependable test market because we knew the old vs. the new. (as a side note I wonder how many threads were started by RC employees trying to get feedback?) They are not interested in the members of the CC boards opinions about their recent expansion and all the new stuff they have created. They dont care if we loyal CC board members think they ruining the traditional cruise experience. We are a rare group of people, not their average customer. They have done extensive market research to try to get NON cruisers to cruise and they will stick by that research.

Now to answer the OP's question; "are they ruining Labadee?" My Opinion is YES. Though the big improvement is the pier. It is SO much better than tendering.

Tom

I realize there are 2 sides to every story but don't just assume the Haitians are happy to have their island taken over. I can give you the email addresses of some of the workers who will be glad to share photos of their villages and how they live.

It is NOT their island...they share it with another people group. And the other people group would not be happy to think that the Haitians believe it is their island.

I was in Labadee last week on the Liberty with 4,000 other passengers. There was a long wait at the food service pavillion near the landing. But I really enjoyed this place. I ended up spending more time there than I planned. Now RC is building a new pier for two ships. It's going to be like Times' Square on New Year's Eve. Maybe that's why they are building more things to accommodate more people. There won't be enough beaches for everyone.

I even promote upgrading these ship's cabins to unlimited WiFii, PS2, X Box connections. The behavior I saw from some of the kids on our last 3 cruises is horrifying. I shudder to think that when I retire these kids will be running the country. :rolleyes::D

They couldn't do much worse running this country than the current generation has done..

The last time I was at Labadee there was no zipline and only the blow up toys in the water for the kids to play on. It was so beautiful. I cant believe they are junking up the place with a new pier and ziplines and coasters. I also think Labadee is to small for the Oasis. I hope they dont do the same to Coco Cay.

Royal Caribbean is not a Carnival or a NCL Royal Caribbean is the cruise line of innovations! Royal Caribbeans is not just going to build a ship with a pool and call it a day NO RCCL is going to build a ship with the latest innovations and continue to raise that bar. Any cruise line can give you a private island with a beach Royal Caribbean is only listening to there customers and developing Labadee into an island with non stop action!

Maybe RCCL should invest their dollars into building canals to Jackson, NJ, or Orlando, Fl.

Then, the ships can take the pax straight to the amusement parks. And back!

I just was there last week for the first time and came away with some pretty strong opinions that even surprised me. Initially it was one the stops I looked forward to the most since it was an island I have never been too. I have always wanted to see Cuba as well.

First of all, for the record, as of last week there is no quiet private beach. You are sharing 2-3 small beaches (some of which are not even swimable) with 2000 - 4000 of your fellow cruise passengers. You may be able to find a private hammock - but if you are on the beach - it is FAR from private.

As far as I can tell you don't (nor would you want to) have the ability to leave the private area to explore the rest of the island. It looks to be beautiful but anyone who reads or watches the news knows that this is one of the worst cases of poverty and malnutrition especially with children out there right now. It is VERY sad.

I loved the "idea" of stopping at private island until now. I will never again get off the ship at Labadee. Because of the extreme poverty when you go to buy the local goods, you are attacked, begged at, yelled at, grabbed and feel so bad by the time you are done that you almost feel guilty that you have the money to be on a vacation in the first place. I literally had people push items into my hand and tell me to come back later to pay......

The other issue I have with this stop is the inability to explore. When you go to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, St Thomas, St Maarten, the beauty in these stops is CHOICE. You can explore and see the different areas, beaches, activities and culture. Each visit you can discover something new. This is not the case with Haiti. Do they offer alot of activities in a small area, yes they do, and if that is all you are looking for then this is the stop for you.

With that said you are stuck in an area they call their own, yet you are nickled and dimed (or should I say $20 here $20 there) to participate in all these things they have to offer you. I spent $20 + 15% on two smoothies that I could have gotten on the boat at the juice place for half of that.

So my response to the OP is quite possibly yes. Maybe it helps the local community, I am not sure. But I am one who purposefully avoids doing what everyone else is doing and if you all are confined to the same area - that is impossible. Next time I will stay on the ship.

I feel exactly the same. I would never again get off the ship in Labadee.

Labadee is not an island. It is a penisula connected to the mainland. I also disagree with those who trash the local's market. We have bought absolutely wonderful metalwork there at a great prices. Plus it helps the Haitians who are allowed to sell there. If you don't like pushy behavior, stick to the first building and outside areas.

There will never be a situation that pleases everyone. Apparently RCI believes that the changes or additions that they are making to Labadee will appeal to more of its passengers than they will deter guests from sailing with them or from going ashore if their ship stops in Labadee. Some complain about the "pushy" local vendors that they encounter or complain about being confined to a relatively small peninsula in Haiti, while others are concerned about security on an island which is extremely poor and has had frequent outbursts of violence (though usually well away from the area where RCI guests visit).

While each person is entitled to his or her opinion and is free to express that opinion here and elsewhere, it is a bit presumptuous to think that RCI does these things in some sort of vacuum and may not have considered your objections before planning these changes. If they are wrong, they will pay for their mistakes through fewer bookings. I suspect, however, that most of the things that they have planned will prove quite popular with the type of guests that they are aiming to attract to their ships. If we don't fit that model, perhaps it is time to revisit our choice of cruiselines.

Archived