Is RCI ruining Labadee?

I was reading up on the new additions to Labadee and it appears that it is being turned into a commercial tourist attraction.

Is it me or is RCI ruining Labadee?

I have only been there once and it isn't that big.

Ziplining. A roller coaster. Water taxis. What are the water taxis for? More pollution? There is a "water park" type thing there too right?

Whats wrong with natural beauty?

I can't imagine laying on a nice quiet beach relaxing with a cold drink and hearing the constant screams of my fellow passengers on the roller coaster.

I realize that RCI wants to market itself as fun and full of adventure for the whole family but is this over doing it?

Most of us go on a cruise to the Caribbean to get away from this sort of thing.

Give me a quiet beach in the Caribbean sun over a theme park any day.

Thoughts? (We can keep this civil, right? ) :)

I really think this is in response to what RCCL thinks people want.

I have seen it on these boards where people worry about being "bored" on the days the ships visit the private islands and not just on the RCCL boards. Or reviews that say, I'm not really a beach type, etc. Or I just stayed on the ship because there was nothing to do.

And since most people don't take the time to stop and say I just loved laying back on the quiet beach, all RCCL hears is how they need to offer more to do at Labadee.

I am absolutely in favor of a full fledged theme park in Labadee.

The ships mostly steering into Laba-world are the Freedom Class ships and Oasis Class ships.

Since kids are spoiled rotten (mostly by their parents :D) they will flock even more to these ships. That will leave us cruisers with the rest if the fleet.

The only thing I like to see in addition is a 4 Night cruise to Labadee (Sea Day-Laba World-Sea Day) so that parents with brats can take short getta-ways as well.

I even promote upgrading these ship's cabins to unlimited WiFii, PS2, X Box connections. The behavior I saw from some of the kids on our last 3 cruises is horrifying. I shudder to think that when I retire these kids will be running the country. :rolleyes::D

I think Royal Caribbean is only doing what they think the passengers want so if you guys feel strongly that RCCL is ruining Labadee send them an email!

Yes because that has worked so well in getting them to change their minds about OBC combinability for stockholder credits, right? Why waste your time?

If you want an unspoiled Labadee, why not just visit the general island of Haiti? I mean it is an unspoiled paradise, right?;)

You know the rest of the country might be really ruined if RCI did all of the bad stuff to the whole island.:D

Seriously folks.... :rolleyes:

jc

That is why I will avoid the larger ships like the plague! I also refuse any itinerary that contains this port. I completely dislike crowds, children (when on vacation), and cramped spaces..... Give me the Radiance class or smaller please!

Music to my ears. :cool:

I agree with the OP, but I suppose I should give RCI the benefit of the doubt and wait and see what they actually do before being overly critical. :eek:

Patrick,Leave it to you to come up with a reasoned response to the issue. If your style of thinking were to catch on, we might have some sane and sensible discussions on the boards.:)

Are they ruining it? Its a matter of perspective.

Some would be really happy if they opened the worlds largest factory outlet mall right there on the beach.

Others would be really happy if they built a complete theme park there.

Others would rather see nothing built there at all... just have some beaches, a little spot to eat lunch and a local market. Count me in the last bunch.

But RCI is just doing what they think will;

1) attract the most people

2) make them the most money

Whether or not they are ruining it is up to you.

I just was there last week for the first time and came away with some pretty strong opinions that even surprised me. Initially it was one the stops I looked forward to the most since it was an island I have never been too. I have always wanted to see Cuba as well.

First of all, for the record, as of last week there is no quiet private beach. You are sharing 2-3 small beaches (some of which are not even swimable) with 2000 - 4000 of your fellow cruise passengers. You may be able to find a private hammock - but if you are on the beach - it is FAR from private.

As far as I can tell you don't (nor would you want to) have the ability to leave the private area to explore the rest of the island. It looks to be beautiful but anyone who reads or watches the news knows that this is one of the worst cases of poverty and malnutrition especially with children out there right now. It is VERY sad.

I loved the "idea" of stopping at private island until now. I will never again get off the ship at Labadee. Because of the extreme poverty when you go to buy the local goods, you are attacked, begged at, yelled at, grabbed and feel so bad by the time you are done that you almost feel guilty that you have the money to be on a vacation in the first place. I literally had people push items into my hand and tell me to come back later to pay......

The other issue I have with this stop is the inability to explore. When you go to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, St Thomas, St Maarten, the beauty in these stops is CHOICE. You can explore and see the different areas, beaches, activities and culture. Each visit you can discover something new. This is not the case with Haiti. Do they offer alot of activities in a small area, yes they do, and if that is all you are looking for then this is the stop for you.

With that said you are stuck in an area they call their own, yet you are nickled and dimed (or should I say $20 here $20 there) to participate in all these things they have to offer you. I spent $20 + 15% on two smoothies that I could have gotten on the boat at the juice place for half of that.

So my response to the OP is quite possibly yes. Maybe it helps the local community, I am not sure. But I am one who purposefully avoids doing what everyone else is doing and if you all are confined to the same area - that is impossible. Next time I will stay on the ship.

Labadee is one of our favorite stops, from the relaxation at the beach to the nice barbecue to the local craft market. I cannot imagine anyone choosing to stay on the ship but that's an idividual decisions.

As to the original question, RCCL is in the business of generating income and profits. They will do whatever results in an enhancement to the bottom line. The penisula is large enough to accomodate additional attractions. I see little problem with that. In addition, the added features will provide more jobs for the local community. Another asset. All around a win-win proposition.

Royal Caribbean is not a Carnival or a NCL Royal Caribbean is the cruise line of innovations! Royal Caribbeans is not just going to build a ship with a pool and call it a day NO RCCL is going to build a ship with the latest innovations and continue to raise that bar. Any cruise line can give you a private island with a beach Royal Caribbean is only listening to there customers and developing Labadee into an island with non stop action!

Archived