Do 5 and 7 yr. old boys REALLY have to wear a tie?

Life's a Beach!!

we are bringing our 5 and 7 yo boys with us on a cruise in 11 days!!!:D:D

they are very excited about getting to dress up! the 7 yo is jealous that the 5 yo gets to wear a vest and he doesn't. i couldn't find an outfit that included a vest in his size at Kohl's. they are going to look so handsome and the pictures will be priceless. never-the-less... when you're exhausted from running around all day getting kids all dressed up isn't all that fun is it?

Our boys started cruising when they were 5 and 8 "ish" and have always worn a suit and tie on Formal night.

Any other night, they wear khakis and a Polo shirt.

10+ years later...we have some wonderful pictures of them all dressed up.

My 14 yr old son owns jeans and t-shirts so I made a trip to Walmart & bought him a nice pair of black slacks and to Ross & got him a button up shirt and a zip-tie and he looks great. Spent about $30 all together for the one outfit he will wear to elegant night 2 nights on our cruise. He looks great and when he tried them on, he liked how he looked. I don't know how to tie a tie so we bought the zip tie which is great putting it on. Has a zipper that you just zip up. Pretty cool.

My 17 yr old DD bought herself two new cocktail dresses for the cruise. She insists she won't be wearing the same outfit twice.:eek:

My sister's boys are 5 and 7. She asked me if they really need to wear a tie or does a clean pressed oxford shirt suffice. Let me know before we have to hit the snow covered streets to go shopping! Thanks.

They do not and neither do 57 nor 75 year old boys.

No, they don't have to. However DS (7mo) will be wearing his ties on casual night and his tux on formal night. It's not required at all, but it just looks so nice. I also want him to be used to wearing things like that to proper occasions. Plus, it's so damn cute I'll use any occasion to put him in a suit! He even wore his Kenneth Cole sport coat & tie to meet santa last weekend :)

DSCF0285.jpg

:D:D:D

Some day, a nice girl that wins your son's heart will thank you profusely.

It is not how the child is dressed that turns heads....its how they behave!

My kids always behaved differently in play clothes as opposed to dress clothes....not that I am disagreeing with your statement because a well behaved child is truly a beautiful thing. ;) BUT I do believe that there are studies that show most people of any age have different (to a certain degree)behavior/posture/manners depending upon what they are wearing.

My kids always behaved differently in play clothes as opposed to dress clothes....not that I am disagreeing with your statement because a well behaved child is truly a beautiful thing. ;) BUT I do believe that there are studies that show most people of any age have different (to a certain degree)behavior/posture/manners depending upon what they are wearing.

Girls maybe......boys.....no:D Most boys don't care what they wear when they are young........when they start noticing girls.....then that's a whole other story....:cool:

Girls maybe......boys.....no:D Most boys don't care what they wear when they are young........when they start noticing girls.....then that's a whole other story....:cool:

How true that is! :D

----------------------------------------

Back to the immediate question of dress for the boys!

Carnival is very relaxed with dress requirements. Your sons will look great and fit right in ......

Have a WONDERFUL Cruise! :)

LOL, you're probably right. I only have girls.

My bad! ;)

My sister's boys are 5 and 7. She asked me if they really need to wear a tie or does a clean pressed oxford shirt suffice. Let me know before we have to hit the snow covered streets to go shopping! Thanks.

I would say no...they're 5 and 7 for Pete's sake...can't see even the fussiest cruiser griping about that...oxford shirts and good pants are fine...hope they have fun!!

[quote name='happy_travellers']It is not how the child is dressed that turns heads....its how they behave![/quote]

HERE HERE I've seen many kids on cruises dressed to the 9's throwing tantrums and mis-behaving. I would much prefer a well behaved child with good manners dressed in casual attire.JMO

Archived