Deck levels

ilmsg

How much of a difference does the level of the deck make for seasickness?

I am looking at the Carnival Fantasy and there is about a $150 difference in price from the guaranteed room and picking the deck/location. Does the location of the room really make much of a difference? Would I be better off (I am a little concerned with seasickness) with choosing a mid-ship room on a higher deck and paying a little extra?

I wonder why it's more expensive the higher you go then? Strange!

Get the guarantee and buy some Bonine, just in case. Most of us rarely get seasick. Really big waves, could happen, but rarely with us.

Loves those guarantees.

Higher decks sell better, they are closer to the buffet and the pool, more convenient.

We just got back from the fantasy Dec 4th. The trip over was very rough and rocky. Many got sick. It didnt bother me much. We were on the empress deck and in the middle of the ship. On the way back, water was very calm and there was no rocking at all. Empress deck is the one you enter the ship on and was very convienent. Take bonine or get the patches. Better safe than sorry. Missing a port is a bummer. Have fun!

If you suffer from motion sickness on land, then you may have a problem on the ship. A lower deck is where you want to be, and in the center of the ship. Either end will move more than the center---think of a "see-saw". Of course, the higher you go, the move you can move up and down!

However, during the day (and most of the night) you won't even BE in your cabin...you're going to be out and about, enjoying what the ship has to offer!

If seas are calm, you may not experience any motion. If seas are really rough, you're going to feel it, no matter where you are.

Pick the best cabin you can afford--and look at the deck plans while booking---and try to get something near where you'll spend most of your time, in the center portion of the ship.

How much of a difference does the level of the deck make for seasickness?

I am looking at the Carnival Fantasy and there is about a $150 difference in price from the guaranteed room and picking the deck/location. Does the location of the room really make much of a difference? Would I be better off (I am a little concerned with seasickness) with choosing a mid-ship room on a higher deck and paying a little extra?

You would be better choosing a mid ship room on a low deck to avoid sea sickness.

I've never been able to tell the difference. And you're only in your room maybe 8 hours out of the day, and a lot of the other time, you are on top decks sunning or partying, right? Can anyone really say they've felt sick on lido and quickly went to their lower midship room and felt better instantly? Most people don't have problems with seasickness when they're sleeping. I think people make way too big a deal out of it. Seasickness is something that people who have never cruised worry about, as I'm guessing the OP is. I have been seasick many times on an 18 foot fishing boat. I have never been seasick on 8 cruises. And I don't use Bonine, or Guanine, or Canine, or Strychnine, or Ginger, or Cinnamon, or Aloe, or magnetic bracelets, or apples, or any other such nonsense. I always bring something just in case, but have never needed it, and I would never consider basing my cabin location decision on the fact that I might be seasick. It's just not as common as people think.

Archived