Message Board Etiquette? Your Opinion ....

sail7seas

Jim is guessing right. I don't use a mouse with my laptop but now I know what you mean. Thanks.

Sail -

Having one makes it so much easier! I have a smaller one (fits my hand better) and makes a huge difference for me, we even take it on vacation.

I'm not AWED ... but a scroll wheel is found on the top of many computer mouses. It allows the user to scroll up or down the window by rotating the wheel with the fingertip instead of having to click the up/down arrows and bar over on the far right side of the window. It's extremely useful.

(I know "mice" is the plural of "mouse." But using "mice" just didn't feel right!) ;)

Try "meece" as in "I love meeces to pieces"

MrJinxWalking.jpg

Sail -

Having one makes it so much easier! I have a smaller one (fits my hand better) and makes a huge difference for me, we even take it on vacation.

Agreed! I use a mouse with my laptop. Gives me much better control and is much faster than the touch pad.

Those without mouse scroll-wheels (or the desire to use them), try the "View" menu, look for "Zoom".

I love using my laptop just as is (without mouse :) ) but checked the View Menu as you suggest. Mine doesn't offer zoom but does offer choice of five text sizes. Makes it possible to get it very large.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Agreed! I use a mouse with my laptop. Gives me much better control and is much faster than the touch pad.

I suppose it is what one is used to. I haven't used a mouse for years (except on the ship when I use the Internet Cafe computers.)

When I get my mini notebook for travel, I won't be using the Cafe much anymore. ;)

I have been wondering for a while how to get a larger font as my default font.

Help! Where is the view menu?

I also am on a laptop with a touch pad!

Wonderful new info like this is great. Now who would have thought this thread would lead to this/

I agree with a previous poster who said what really ticks them off is a poster who says right up front that they don't have time to read the previous posts on the same subject but want an answer ASAP. From me, they get zilch; if they don't have time to read then I don't have time to write.

My other pet peeve is the poster who puts LONG in the title - that is a sure way to make sure that I don't read it. I realize not everyone can be succinct and concise, but to read through a couple of pages of boring detail really turns me off:)

My other pet peeve is the poster who puts LONG in the title - that is a sure way to make sure that I don't read it. I realize not everyone can be succinct and concise, but to read through a couple of pages of boring detail really turns me off:)

Heh! I'm more likely to read the long ones. I can't stand it when people summarize a 14-day cruise with ten sentences, when eight of them are about how the laundry was due back on a Tuesday evening and didn't arrive until Wednesday morning.

I think there should be a qualifier for "LONG", though. Sometimes I read a "LONG" one, and it's two or three paragraphs! "Long" in the title should at least require two screens full!

Add me to the group that thinks people should be able to post as often as they want and should not be critized for having the time or interest to do so.

When I was a new cruiser and was headed out on my first HAL cruise, I found this forum and just loved all the information that several long time HAL cruisers put out, over and over. Thank you all!

As for enlarging the screen on your personal computer with the control key and wheelie thingie - tried that and it meant that the entire post was to big to fit on the screen horizontally. That then makes the person who has trouble seeing locate the little tiny horizontal scroll bar and slide it left to right without loosing their place. This may be difficult for someone who has trouble seeing. And I don't feel large type is yelling. All caps is yelling.

Do you think it rude if someone posts often and to lots of different threads?

No, Indeed - Particularly if they're sharing information and interesting stories.

Do you think it rude to criticize someone who does that?

Of course...

Stop criticizing those who post often?

Good Idea.

;)

When I get my mini notebook for travel, I won't be using the Cafe much anymore. ;)
I just got a Dell Mini-9 for traveling. It's super light (just over 2 lb), relatively inexpensive and it'll be so easy to use onboard! Plus, I can use it to play my iTunes when I'm in my cabin. I think I'm in love. :)

As long as the poster has something significant to say in response to the OP's query or comment, I think one can post to as many threads as they like and have time for. What's it to anyone anyways.

The only time when I get annoyed is when someone hijacks the thread for their own purpose.

"If a man is talking in the woods and no woman is around, is he still wrong?"

Yes:(

Not a hi-jack attempt!:cool: Just an attempt at some lividity:eek:

A young sailor was sitting in a bar having a few drinks when he looks over and sees a pirate. The pirate has a wooden peg-leg, a hook for a hand, and patch over his eye. Unable to resist, the sailor asks “How’d you end up with a peg-leg?”

“I was swept overboard during a fierce storm,” says the pirate. “and a bloody shark bit off me whole darn leg!”

“Holy cow!” said the sailor. “What about the hook, how’d you get that?”

“Me crew and I were boarding an enemy ship, a fierce sword battle ensued. One of them cut me darn arm!”

“Absolutely incredible!” gasped the sailor. “And the eye patch, tell me how you got that?”

“A bloody seagull dropping fell into me eye,” replied the pirate.

“Umm, you lost your eye to a seagull dropping?” asked the sailor, admonished.

Embarassed, the pirate answered “It was me first day with the hook.”

I admire the patience of the folks with large post counts. I feel that my cruises have been greatly enhanced by the wealth of knowledge that I have found on these boards. My only complaint would be the posts that are not separated in proper paragraphs. I find a review posted in 1 or 2 long paragraphs to be very hard to read. Sail7seas and KK, I find your posting style very easy to read!

Kim

I admire the patience of the folks with large post counts. I feel that my cruises have been greatly enhanced by the wealth of knowledge that I have found on these boards. My only complaint would be the posts that are not separated in proper paragraphs. I find a review posted in 1 or 2 long paragraphs to be very hard to read. Sail7seas and KK, I find your posting style very easy to read!

Kim

Thank you Kim!!

We loved the Meet & Greet you put together!!

Sure hope me meet on another "dam" ship!!

OK, now we have really gotten off topic here so that you are all doing what people get peeved about. And yes, if a man says something in the middle of empty woods, he is definitely still wrong, but of course that is only if he is my husband.

Now what really peeves me is someone like the person Dodger Blue, or whatever his name is, who is posting now on the thread about the tipping policy on HAL. It isn't until page 3 that he happens to mention that he has never been on HAL. That was really an LOL moment.

Archived