another pool question. any doctors here?

taralu7

If you suck enough of the pus out of the toe the child should be able to stay in the pool for approximately 44 minutes. Also, soaking the toe in jello for about 44 minutes should work to sanitize it, but only for about 10 minutes there, so it's better to suck the pus out. I think there is jello at the buffet, but that would depend what ship you were on.

(fyi, You yourself don't need to be the one to suck the pus out necessarily, the child can do it themselves if they can reach the offending toe to their mouth) I don't think they'll do this in the infirmiry?

i was reading the other "pool" thread talking about whether or not the water is chlorinated...

would it be safe for my daughter? she's 11 and is suffering from an ingrown toenail. it's doing better but still oozes a little on her sock during the day, so obviously it's "open". we put off her surgery until after the cruise for obvious reasons but now i'm a little worried about her getting it contaminated.

Obviously a joke since the poster has not replied. ;)

After thinking about this thread for a little while one thing occurs to me that I thought about not saying but......cruise or no cruise, get rid of your DD's pain sooner rather than later and do the surgery now. She may not be able to do a few things she wanted but at least she is still on a cruise and able to have lots of fun doing other things and most important of all she is closer to being pain free and closer to being infection free. Just my extra .02 cents worth. I know if it were my DS, we would get on the road to recovery sooner rather than later and not risk an even bigger problem. Good luck.

Are you aware of the many antibiotic resistant infections there are out there? People die from these things and they are not only the elderly.

Do you want to take a chance that your daughter will experience further problems and need medical attention for a more serious problem?

Do you want her to have to see an MD from another country? Probably less trained than who you would use a home?

Number one is have the girl seen, start to resolve the problem and do not put your daughter at risk for God knows what.

PS - forget the pool - not even if you had your own pool at home should she go in it.

Cut the OP some slack.

She is excited about her cruise and I am sure her main focus is on her family.

She was worried her daughter might pick up something icky from the pool but had not realized that it would likely be her daughter putting the icky in the pool.

I think she realizes that now and there is no need to keep rubbing her face in it.

Inconsiderate and self centered? Probably, but no different than tons of others that post here that think they are so perfect.

Reading this board, you get the idea everyone here are kind and considerate cruisers and would never do anything to cause other people any discomfort or aggravation so I wonder where all those selfish and irritating people come from on the cruises I have been on.

I find it more worrying that she is putting off the "surgery". If the ingrown toenail is bad enough to require surgery, it is not a simple thing and the daughter must be uncomfortable.

It is a very minor procedure and relieving the pressure would increasing healing time. With an 11 yr old, it could be healed in a week.

The OP's post is yet another reason I do not use the pool on the ship or in any other public area.

I cannot believe you are considering allowing her in the pool with an "oozing" toe.

yeah thats pretty gross.

When you think about it...it is pretty gross to be in a standing body of water with anybody. Just think if the kids who skipped a bath or two and decided the pool water would wash away the ickies. And the hot tub! You know not everyone who gets in that warm bubbling water with ya is not freshly showered.:eek:

I've had several in-grown toenail procedures. They are taken care of in the doctors office and like many have stated, I was in much pain before the procedure but quick recovery. Have the procedure done so she can walk without being in pain and start recovering.

This is the silliest thread! It's kind of got my stomach turning too!!!! Between pool pee, dirty bodies and oozing sores I can't wait to dive head first into the pool on our Feb cruise (oh, that's right, no diving). I am going to add a full body wet suit complete with booties to my packing

list:D I do think this was a spoof thread but boy did it generate lots of feedback. Happy cruising

Now here's a post right up my alley as i'm a podiatrist. I would have to agree that it should be done before the cruise and would definitely hurt less during the cruise. Find a good podiatrist and your problems will be over with in 15 minutes in the office. Truth be told though is that most ingrown nails really aren't infected and that is why just going on antibiotics for almost never works. It is more of an inflammation of the surrounding tissue from the nail cutting into it. Just getting that nail edge out clears it up in a matter of a couple days. Also, I would suggest not looking at the other guests feet on your cruise or you're likely to see a lot other stuff that might scare you from walking around barefooted or getting in the water. Just remember that by age 70 over 50% of people suffer from toenail fungus so look around on your next cruise and you can do the math. Also don't do any cultures from around the pool areas or you'll probably find every bacteria growing known to man. Hate to rain on everyone's cruise but "bugs" are around us at all times. Now saying that I too would think it gross to see a swollen ingrown nail on someone at the pool and would probably be compelled to take them down to the infirmary to get that little sucker out.....as long as they had insurance : )

Okay ... if you have an open wound that's producing puss ... sanitary reasons aside ... why the H*** would anyone want to stick it in a huge vat of salt water? I mean, are you trying to make your kid scream?

I'm more appalled by the idea of allowing your child to walk around with what's obviously an ingrown toenail that require the attention of a podiatrist. Go get that nail clipped and snipped and get her out of pain. Even if they have to burn the nail beds, you can wait to do that until after your back. Your first priority should be to make sure your kid can enjoy their time (and wear sandals if you are going somewhere warm) without pain or being embarrassed about a gickie toe.

Now here's a post right up my alley as i'm a podiatrist. I would have to agree that it should be done before the cruise and would definitely hurt less during the cruise. Find a good podiatrist and your problems will be over with in 15 minutes in the office. Truth be told though is that most ingrown nails really aren't infected and that is why just going on antibiotics for almost never works. It is more of an inflammation of the surrounding tissue from the nail cutting into it. Just getting that nail edge out clears it up in a matter of a couple days. Also, I would suggest not looking at the other guests feet on your cruise or you're likely to see a lot other stuff that might scare you from walking around barefooted or getting in the water. Just remember that by age 70 over 50% of people suffer from toenail fungus so look around on your next cruise and you can do the math. Also don't do any cultures from around the pool areas or you'll probably find every bacteria growing known to man. Hate to rain on everyone's cruise but "bugs" are around us at all times. Now saying that I too would think it gross to see a swollen ingrown nail on someone at the pool and would probably be compelled to take them down to the infirmary to get that little sucker out.....as long as they had insurance : )

This response leads me to agree with others' posts that this thread was a fake. The OP's doctor or podiatrist would have told her this is quite a simple procedure and should have advised her to have it done before going on the cruise.

As a general surgeon, I agree completely! I'd have the nail fixed TODAY! The kid will do far better on the ship and have a better time. As for pus in the pool...Get real! While I would be considerate to others and NOT get into the pool with a sore/infection, a few drops of fluid in a pool is NOT likely to harm anyone. If someone is so sick and immunocompromised that they could be hurt by this, then they shouldn't even be on a ship! Folks always forget that our guts, skin, and nails are full of bugs and the cruise ship is the perfect culture medium!

Again, I would NOT put something gross in a pool (or allow any of my family members), but I have no doubt that it happens every day on every ship!

If someone is so sick and immunocompromised that they could be hurt by this, then they shouldn't even be on a ship! Folks always forget that our guts, skin, and nails are full of bugs and the cruise ship is the perfect culture medium!

Tell 'em about what grows in your average hospital.... whew!

As a general surgeon, I agree completely! I'd have the nail fixed TODAY! The kid will do far better on the ship and have a better time. As for pus in the pool...Get real! While I would be considerate to others and NOT get into the pool with a sore/infection, a few drops of fluid in a pool is NOT likely to harm anyone. If someone is so sick and immunocompromised that they could be hurt by this, then they shouldn't even be on a ship! Folks always forget that our guts, skin, and nails are full of bugs and the cruise ship is the perfect culture medium!

Again, I would NOT put something gross in a pool (or allow any of my family members), but I have no doubt that it happens every day on every ship!

I have to agree here... if someone is that sick that they think they are going to drop dead because of a few drops of pus, they shouldn't be going on a cruise :rolleyes: While yes, it is gross to think about, there are far worse things that are probably actually IN the pool... do you know how many kids are in those pools with open cuts all the time? Seriously... sit by the pool and watch... watch every person that gets in and out of the pool, and look at their feet too... the OP was being upfront and honest and just asking a question. But don't fool yourselves into thinking this sort of thing doesn't happen ALL THE TIME. It's the reason I have to have several drinks before even getting in one of those pools, so I don't think about it :p LOL The only thing I worry about is feces in the pool... other than that, I'm not OVERLY concerned as I consider myself a pretty healthy person. If you are in such poor health that a little bit of pus is going to make you keel over, do us all a favor and stay off the ship... because your health puts all the other passengers at an inconvenience as well. Seriously... this is gross to think about, but if you think kids are not swimming with sores, you are sadly mistaken... the pools have all sorts of "grossness" in them :p

Archived