another pool question. any doctors here?

taralu7

i was reading the other "pool" thread talking about whether or not the water is chlorinated...

would it be safe for my daughter? she's 11 and is suffering from an ingrown toenail. it's doing better but still oozes a little on her sock during the day, so obviously it's "open". we put off her surgery until after the cruise for obvious reasons but now i'm a little worried about her getting it contaminated.

i was reading the other "pool" thread talking about whether or not the water is chlorinated...

would it be safe for my daughter? she's 11 and is suffering from an ingrown toenail. it's doing better but still oozes a little on her sock during the day, so obviously it's "open". we put off her surgery until after the cruise for obvious reasons but now i'm a little worried about her getting it contaminated.

Chlorinated or not, it needs to be covered with water proof bandages to avoid infection.

If her toe is still oozing, I would not only be worried about contaminating her but what about all the other people using the pool??? You have no idea what type of infection could be in her toe and you could be spreading it to everyone else there!! I would not be happy to know that a parent knowingly let someone use the pool with an open, draining wound! Seems irresponsible to me. There are alot of other things she can do with her foot covered!

I agree with Ikon, Why would you elect to potentially expose other pool users to an infected wound, really not a good idea. Even a waterproof banadage would prob come off in minutes, still not advisable to get the toe wet.

Not much fun for your daughter I am sure, but hopefully it will heal before you cruise? She should also be taking antibiotics for the infection....

What kind of surgery is needed? I've had numerous ingrown toenail "surgeries", and it's very quick with now recovery time. And, you get an antibiotic to boot. If you can get DD to a doctor tomorrow, they should be able to take care of it right there in the doctor's office. If something more severe is needed (I need something to permanently fix it, but I don't have a month to take off to recover), wait till after the trip.

would it be safe for my daughter? she's 11 and is suffering from an ingrown toenail. it's doing better but still oozes a little on her sock during the day' date=' so obviously it's "open". we put off her surgery until after the cruise for obvious reasons but now i'm a little worried about [b']her getting it contaminated.[/b]

Her getting the pool contaminated? Well, there is no doubt she would.

The pool is salt water. Please do not let your child in the pool/whirlpool/child's pool/anything that has water in it.

Makes me think twice about a dip to cool off. I have never thought about it before but now I wonder how many people enter the pools when they shouldn't. Ish!!!!!

OP I do feel for you and especially your daughter. However for the health of others she shouldn't enter any pool until it is healed. I wouldn't want to swim in a pool where someone was also in with an oozing sore. Good for you for asking. Many wouldn't :)Just my opnion, Kaboochi

Watching someone picking and squeezing at a toenail then dipping it into the pool to 'wash' :eek: the pus off repeatedly was enough to end my public pool swimming. Years ago.

Pus equals some sort of infection. Nevermind that the sore is open since it seeps, please do not share the infection.

If you read the rules of public pools, most all mention that no person with open sores shall enter the pool. What if some child got a mouth full of water and the bacteria from your daughters toe got into his respiratory system. You could knowingly expose thousands of people to the possibility of some infection. Not to mention if anyone there is immunocompromised from medication or their own disease.

People with open sores should never enter a public pool. While it might not hurt her the "stuff" oozing could infect everyone else. While not a gross sounding as the babies wearing diapers, this is really the same thing.

Unbelievable self centered post, Unbelievable

In grown toe nail "surgery " is minor..I have had one removed and its not bad....why put it off...her toe will not be that sore at all...probably hurts more now...

Do you know the difference between MAJOR and minor surgery??

Minor surgery is surgery on somebody else!:D:D

Dan

Her getting the pool contaminated? Well, there is no doubt she would.

The pool is salt water. Please do not let your child in the pool/whirlpool/child's pool/anything that has water in it.

:cool: If anyone knows what salt does to a open wound??:eek: :eek: I think thats enough to stay out of the water!!:rolleyes:

Archived