Are Tips pre-paid with Princess?

CruiseTobey

Talking about cash after the auto tip is removed. :)

Yes, people that say that they remove the auto tips and tip in cash. They say they tip those that make their cruise enjoyable.

I think the people that clean the ship and wish dishes do that.

So I want to know how these people tip all these service persons that work to make thier trip enjoyable.

Yes, people that say that they remove the auto tips and tip in cash. They say they tip those that make their cruise enjoyable.

So I want to know how these people tip all these service persons that work to make thier trip enjoyable.

I pretty much try and worry about myself, can't get all bent out of shape trying to keep track of everyone else. :o

I think some look at the gratuities as they used to be. Where you tipped your waiter, ass't waiter, room steward and possibly Maitre'D, the last night onboard. And they think those are still the only ones that need to receive anything. That was 'way back when', things have changed a lot since those were all that received gratuities. ;)

This would be a great idea if one person who's knowledgable can explain it (how removing the autotip can adversely affect the crew members) .

To summarize what others have posted:

a) The autotip is basically the same amount of money that was suggested for tipping before the autotip was started.

b) Pre-autotip was suggested for cabin attendent, waiter, assistamt waiter, headwaiter. I do not know if they had to share this with anyone else.

c) Autotip goes into a pool that is shared by all cabin attendents, waiters, etc. It is also shared by some behind-the-scenes people who help make your cruise what it is.

d) Auto-tip eliminates the problems in rewarding good service for those in anytime dining when you may have different servers at any meal.

e) Auto-tip eliminates the need to have sums of cash and little envelopes for passing out tips.

f) In addition to autotip, you are free to tip extra to people who you feel deserve more and they get to keep it.

g) If you remove the autotip (no matter what the reason), any cash tips you give your cabin attendent and waitstaff have to be turned into the tipping pool. The people you are trying to reward do not get to directly keep any of it.

h) People outside of the autotip pool (for example: bartenders, children's program staff, etc.) can keep any cash tips you give them.

So, to answer your question (how removing the autotip can adversely affect the crew members), your cash tips to cabin attendents, waitstaff, etc., go into the autotip pool. If these amounts you tip total less than you would have paid with the autotip, then the crew members end up with less income.

Archived