Fort Lauderdale to MIA

Hi,

We are flying to Fort Lauderdale day early and renting a car from Avis at FLL airport and returning it at Avis Downtown Miami on 2nd avenue next day on the morning we sail. Rental is costing $59, unlimited mileage, then we are catching an 2 mile cab ride.

Happy Holidays!

I need help!! What is the cheapest way to get from Ft. Lauderdale airport to the port in Miami???????????

We have flown into FLL twice for cruises out of Miami

I always compare prices for ship transfers, taxi, and shuttle busses.

Taxi has always been the most expensive (out of FLL - not necessarily true everwhere)

Shuttle busses have been just a few dollars cheaper (less than $5) than the ship transfer so we took the ship transfer in both cases.

The only bad thing about the ship transfer is that they wait until the bus is completely full before they leave the airport. Coming back, the bus fills up quickly. The nice thing about the ship transfer is that they take your luggage straight from the bus to the ship for you.

To use the ship transfer, you have to arrive at the airport between certain hours.

You can find the taxi prices and the shuttle prices on the internet.

The absolute CHEAPEST way is via rail. We are big fans of Tri-Rail and unless you have a ton of luggage, at $3 pp each way, you can save big. There was only two of us, so if you have a small group as well and don't mind lifting your luggage onto and off the train, this can be a great deal.

Once you arrive in Miami, catch a taxi to the port. Very comfortable ride.

We are booked with SAS Transportation to get us from FLL to the POM. They are charging us $15 per person each direction (we have to return to FLL). In face, I asked if they could pick us up at our pre-cruise hotel and they are going to do that for our trip TO the POM.

I actually have a thread on another board about this and a lot of people have given rave reviews about him and his company.

If interested, here's their contact info:

http://www.ridesas.com

SAS9897@aol.com

does anyone have a link to the rail website? or the SAS shuttel? a car from thrifty is $60 picked up at the port of MIA and dropped off at PBI. A car from PBI to MIA (the dollar car co has a free shuttle to the port) is $30.

The website is www.Tri-rail.com. Not entirely sure about the taxi fare since we went to a pre-cruise hotel. But should be around $10 or so.

We have done this several times - catching extremely cheap airfare into Fort Lauderdale. We've actually rented a car from Budget or Alamo for as little as $29.99 and driven to Miami (no drop off charges in Florida). The secret is that they offer FREE shuttle from their airport location in Miami to and from the cruise dock. Real BIG money saver - no taxi fare!!! Call ahead to any car rental agency in either Lauderdale or Miami to see if they offer the shuttle.

Last year my buddy and I were able to get a shuttle from FLL airport to Miami international for 10/pp. There were a few stops inbetween so leave some extra time..

our landing was delayed a couple hours back home and we missed our ride so we had to take a taxi home -- 80$ ride.

Archived