Walkie-Talkies

Tika

We are a family of nine adults and 5 children cruising on the Caribbean Princess this coming July 2009. I have read here somewhere that some families use Walkietalkies to stay in touch etc. on such a huge ship. Anyone use them? What type do you buy & how worth it is there use? Any information would be sincerely appreciated for both parents and the children.

The ones from Radio Shack seem to work the best. Please use the vibrate option when out in public areas. They will work in some areas of the ship in they won't in others. And, this is very important, do not take them off the ship as they are illegal in many non-US ports.

You can take your cell phones, but be prepared for high charges!

While the ship is large, it's not so big that finding the rest of you party is impossible! (Remember, most of the ship is passenger cabin space---you won't be in those places, except for your own hallways!)

Plus--don't count on kids wanting to lug walkie-talkies around with them! Just make your plans (where you'll be, until such and such time) and if there are changes, leave a note in the cabin!

For smaller kids, they won't be apart from a responsible adult, anyway, and the older kids will find you (or you, them!)

We tried walky talkies on our last cruise and decided they were more trouble than they were worth. We were always getting other's calls and voices and listening to other conversations. And they never seemed to work when we most needed them.

We just bought some off of Amazon. There was another thread on here not too long ago about them. We cruise in a couple weeks and I'll let you know how they work.

Thanks for posting. Have a great, fun cruise. Don't forget to get back here with a report after your cruise!

When I traveled with my parents or sisters (in separate cabins), the walkie talkies came in very handy in the morning. I am an early riser and would go up to the Lido for coffee, taking my walkie talkie with me. When anyone else woke up, they would turn on their walkie talkie and check to see if anyone was up. No need to call to a room or knock and possibly wake people up.

If you buy them, make sure you get the "sub channels" so you will avoid all the chatter.

When I traveled with my parents or sisters (in separate cabins), the walkie talkies came in very handy in the morning. I am an early riser and would go up to the Lido for coffee, taking my walkie talkie with me. When anyone else woke up, they would turn on their walkie talkie and check to see if anyone was up. No need to call to a room or knock and possibly wake people up.

If you buy them, make sure you get the "sub channels" so you will avoid all the chatter.

Plesase, What do you mean by sub channels? What brand do you use? Where did you purchase? :>)!

Archived