Cruise Line Advertising

Which Cruise Line missed the mark the most with their new ads?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cruise Line missed the mark the most with their new ads?

• Carnival
    • NCL
    • Royal Caribbean
    • Scrap them all and start over

Who has botched their ad campaign the worst among the three major mass market lines?

Carnival - Fun For All - All For Fun

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2008/12/25/the-reason-to-watch-greys-anatomy/#more-7573

Norwegian Cruise Lines - Freestyle Cruising

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwvdBJNsN_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzJ-bUsEoLw

Royal Caribbean - Nation of Why Not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJLXzF117l8

I think that NCL gets their point across more than the other two. They are pointing out the difference between NCL and other lines.

RCCL hands down.....................Love to cruise RCCL,but that ad stinks!!

Love the Carnival's music...........very peppy(like Lust for Life used to be)......

and NCL's cracks me up.........its soooooooooo true..........you never know who you will get seated with..................

The NCL ads sometimes annoy me but they do a great job of marketing the cruiseline.

The new RCCL ads make me want to fast forward through the commercial, where I used to stop and watch the Lust for Life/Get Out There ads. Not a good thing.

But Carnival's are the worst because they have absolutely nothing to do with a cruiseship. I have to agree with some of the comments on the Carnival board that if you blink at the end you miss the fact that it's an ad for a cruiseline.

RCCL hands down.....................Love to cruise RCCL,but that ad stinks!!

Love the Carnival's music...........very peppy(like Lust for Life used to be)......

and NCL's cracks me up.........its soooooooooo true..........you never know who you will get seated with..................

Totally agree, the NCL ad is right on and gives you a pretty solid reason to try them out.

But Carnival's are the worst because they have absolutely nothing to do with a cruiseship. I have to agree with some of the comments on the Carnival board that if you blink at the end you miss the fact that it's an ad for a cruiseline.

Yes, but a least they capture your attention waiting to see what the ad is selling. The RCCl ad is simply an embarassment.

Yes, but a least they capture your attention waiting to see what the ad is selling. The RCCl ad is simply an embarassment.

Actually it didn't capture my attention. The only reason I watched it the entire way through was somebody told me it was a Carnival ad. If I hadn't known it was a Carnival ad I would've turned it off within seconds of it coming on.

Of all 4 of them (including the brazilian one):

I never thought there could be any worse than the "why not" ad until I saw the Carnival ad. That is horrific.

I always hated the NCL ad during the times of "Get out There". Now it seems the most fitting one.

I guess the RCI ad is right on the mark (though badly made): a destination onto itself.

My list (from worst to best):

Carnival

RCI (why not)

RCI (Brazil) *someone gotta tell me what they are saying though)

NCL

I just loved those peppy 'get out there' ads. This type of ad was so expandable. Too bad.

Having tried NCL once, I see those ads and think phew, knowing how it works out once on the ship:eek: I´m glad I won´t fall for those ads.

lol same here, we tried Norwegian Cruise Line this past summer and didn't really like the Freestyle Dining. As for Carnival I saw no point in that commercial and how it relates for cruising.

Why are these cruiselines trying to have a competition for the worst possible commercials? :confused:

I think NCL Commercials are boring, and only focus on eating. :(

I think the new RCCL Commercials are LAME! How much more lame could it get than fake, computer animated, childish computer graphics. Bring back the Lust for Life commercials! (but please don't remind me of Iggy Pop, he is wierd. :eek:)

the CCL commercials are very fun and upbeat, but, does not talk about any of thier ships. Someone who does not know about CCL would think it's advertising a land-based carnival with a giant pinata! They would probably be confused about a ship horn at the end, too! :p

The RC ad was hokey to the extreme - hated it and it's childish graphics.:(

I liked the song that Carnival had (hey, I'm a party animal:o), but the pinata thing was stupid. What the heck does that have to do with cruising?

The NCL ads were effective, I think, but I know about the problems with Freestyle, so I'm not falling for it. Eating is not the focus of any of my cruises.

The Brazilian RC ad was much better. I liked the 'Get Out There' motto, because that is me!:)

I don´t like any of the ads, but comparing all of them I have to say the RC one at least puts a focus on cruising and various shipboard activities. Even tho the presentation leaves a lot to desire, but the focus is on topic.

Agreed. I think had they presented the activities differently, it would have been a better ad.

I agree with the poster who said that RCI's were they worse - until they saw the new Carnival ads!:eek: RCIs are just plain boring. Since I think of RCI as a "action" based cruise line that appeals to me as a 'multigenerational family destination in itself' type of cruise (especially the newer ships) I just don't get the new ads. As a matter of fact I cannot tell you what those ads contain, they capture my interest so little.

On that train of thought perhaps Carnival did do a better job - at least I know that one has a big pinata in it! However, if it is suppose to make me think of cruising, it completely missed the mark. I only recognized it as Carnival's because I recognized their smokestack at the very end. I doubt if the non-cruising public would catch that. For some reason I thought it was an ad for a bank of something since it was set in a business district.:rolleyes:

Archived