Dress Code on NCL

Giantfan13

I have a cruise booked for Aug 09 on the Jewel. I have sailed NCL quite a few times in the past, but not in the past few years. During that time, I have sailed Carnival several times and have noticed that the dress code has really taken a beating on Carnival. Yes there are still the formal nights, but less and less people dress up. During the other nights people come into the dining rooms in flip flops, shorts, t-shirts etc, and rarely is anything said about it. I was wondering if the same sort of thing has happened on NCL cruises. In the past, I rarely saw anyone in the dining room who wasn't, at least, adequately dressed, as NCL requests, but is that policy being overlooked???.

To be honest, I was never a big fan of formal nights, no matter what cruise line I sailed, but I did notice that less and less people go 'formal' these days.

How is the dress code on NCL being observed??.

I only have the one experience to draw from, but we saw a high degree of variance in enforcing the published dress code.

For example, in our group this past march one of our gang was turned away for wearing nice shorts to dinner. He was asked to go change, which he did, and was told at the 'ime that "it I would have let you in but I just turned away a large group that was wearing shorts that were too sloppy".

On other occasions, I saw men being seated who were wearing sleeveless t-shirts and some with torn jeans. Flip flops were seen often -- not just the dressy ones, either.

A very high percentage of diners followed the dress code --- it was always just a few.

One thing that is not in the dress code that bothers me is the so many men (and some women) wear ball caps in the restaurants, many of them turned backwards. I find that to be just rude --- must be my parents upbringing and my military training!!

Tuxedos, suits, and ball gowns were few and far between on our 12-day Jade Med cruise earlier this month, but I saw no abuses of the "resort casual" dress code in any dining room. I'm guessing you'd find less in the way of sloppy dress on longer cruises.

All of the dining rooms (aside from the buffet and the 24 hour diner) had signs up saying the no shorts or tank tops after 5pm. I didn't see anyone breaking those rules in the dining rooms. Formal night was only casually observed; most people were in resort casual on formal night.

I noticed that the temperature inside dropped significantly at night. I found myself freezing in the evening if I did decide to wear shorts and go to the buffet- I'd have to wear a jacket! I suspect they make it a bit cooler to try to get people to cover up a little bit.

I didn't see any inappropriate dress on my NCL Jewel cruise in October...

but then, it was a New England Cruise, the weather was cool, so people were covered up....

and frankly, I don't really pay a lot of attention to what others are wearing, or doing, so long as they don't "invade my space"... :o

;)DH and I just off the Gem Christmas cruise: Second day (first Sea day), many people dressed in formal attire; men in suites (few tux's) and women in cocktail dresses. Many families took this opportunity to have formal pictures taken. I saw no shorts or t-shirts at dinner in the Restaurnts. Some people in nice Jeans. Christmas day many people also dressed up for dinner, but some chose not to. I prefer to dress for dinner and encourage my DH to do the same, but hey it is free style cruising and if you are comfortalbe in wearing jeans, enjoy!:cool:

Just off the Dawn. Heard people being turned away at dining rooms for wearing shorts. I didn't see anyone wearing shorts, tank tops, etc in dining rooms. I was surprised at the number of people who dressed up on our first sea day and on Christmas Day. There were way more than I was expecting.

All of the dining rooms (aside from the buffet and the 24 hour diner) had signs up saying the no shorts or tank tops after 5pm. I didn't see anyone breaking those rules in the dining rooms. Formal night was only casually observed; most people were in resort casual on formal night.

I was on a 13 day cruise on the Spirit recently (late October). There were no signs stating anything about attire. The Freestyle Daily did have a small fine print line about no jeans in one of the main dining rooms (Windows). This was routinely ignored, by both passengers, and staff. I asked about it twice. Once I was told it was a 'suggestion.' The second time I was told the hostess try but sometimes don't notice.

I saw jeans, shorts, tank tops, and flip flops.

Rich

Is this just because NCL and maybe Carnival are among the cheaper cruise lines. Are we seeing the same thing on the higher priced cruise lines???

Acceptable attire on NCL is resort casual, and jeans are permitted in all but one dining room. So I'm not sure what you mean by "is this just because." As several of us have said, we saw no abuse of the dress code on our recent cruises. If you're looking for a dress-up crowd, suggest you try HAL or Celebrity, where suits and tuxedos are required--for no good reason, in my opinion--on certain nights. Neither, by the way, is a "higher priced cruise line." Azamara, Oceania, and Windstar are higher priced, but also have resort casual dress codes like NCL.

How is the dress code on NCL being observed??.

This topic has been beat up on here frequently one way or the other. The NCL website says:

Freestyle Cruising is not too dressy, not too casual. We call it "resort casual." You'll call it being on vacation. By day, almost anything goes. Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts, or whatever are all fine. Casual is perfect in our restaurants too. Even if you've just been at the pool and don't feel like changing, no worries. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. At night, it's relaxed all over the ship. When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free - we've reserved a restaurant just for that.

Most of the passengers seem to set their expectations by this; why not just go with what's requested??

This topic has been beat up on here frequently one way or the other. The NCL website says: . . .

Most of the passengers seem to set their expectations by this; why not just go with what's requested??

What gets (or got) to me, is what the "Freestyle Daily" says: You'll always find a place for your style, no matter what you want to ear. Resort casual (including jeans) is welcome in all of our restaurants, except Windows, our designated 'dress-up' Restaurant."

On my recent cruise, from which I got the Freestyle Daily I quoted from above, jeans were a regular sight in Windows. All I ask for is NCL to say what they are going to do, and then do it.

Rich

What gets (or got) to me, is what the "Freestyle Daily" says: You'll always find a place for your style, no matter what you want to ear. Resort casual (including jeans) is welcome in all of our restaurants, except Windows, our designated 'dress-up' Restaurant."

On my recent cruise, from which I got the Freestyle Daily I quoted from above, jeans were a regular sight in Windows. All I ask for is NCL to say what they are going to do, and then do it.

Rich

I do agree with you. However, IMO, it's more up to the passengers to honor the dress code than to force NCL into having to enforce it. To me, it's wrong to put the staff in the awkward position of becoming the fashion police. It's very difficult to be insistent when it may result in an upset passenger submitting a negative comment card about you. Enough of those and a staff member could lose his job. In other words, the staff has to try their best to honor the "customer is always right" philosophy while still trying to point out the transgressions. Generally, I think they manage to screen out the most egregiously dressed individuals but sometimes even they bully their way into the dining room. Bottom line for me: I blame the passengers much more than I blame the cruise line.

I never really have noticed what others were wearing at dinner until our last cruise, which was on the Pearl, and we were waiting to be seated at Lotus Garden and a very nice clean couple came up and wanted to sit at the sushi bar but were turned away because they had on shorts. They were not tacky looking at all and I honestly did not notice what they were wearing until they were turned away right in front of us. This was like 9:50PM and we were the only ones that were in Lotus Garden at that point. I kind of felt sorry for them but, I guess rules are rules. I'm one of those that as long as what someone has on is clean and the person doesn't stink I really never notice what they have on. I don't hold it against people who do notice others clothing, just saying I never really do unless there is just something standing out.

We always wear dockers and polo's, even on dress up or not nights. I think once I wore jeans to dinner on the Star, but I have always felt comfortable just wearing my dockers.

So it sounds likei if I was to choose a full length gown to go to the specialty resturant on thier optional formal night I would be pretty much out of place? How about a knee length cocktail dress, would that be better?

I do like the idea of crusing on a casual ship, but also would enjoy to dress it up one night too.

So it sounds likei if I was to choose a full length gown to go to the specialty resturant on thier optional formal night I would be pretty much out of place? How about a knee length cocktail dress, would that be better?

I do like the idea of crusing on a casual ship, but also would enjoy to dress it up one night too.

Don't be misled - there are plenty of people who dress up, including tuxes and gowns. It's just not the majority. And people do tend to dress up a little more in the specialty restaurants, probably because they are often celebrating a special occasion. Gown or cocktail dress - either is fine and up to you. That's the essence of Freestyle - choice.

Is this just because NCL and maybe Carnival are among the cheaper cruise lines. Are we seeing the same thing on the higher priced cruise lines???

I was on RCCL this summer and the dress code was not enforced. In fact one waiter even told me that the dress code on RCCL is now just a suggested dress code and they (the waiters/maitre'd) no longer have to enforce it by asking people to leave or change. Which he said made their jobs a lot easier.

Rich

I do agree with you. However, IMO, it's more up to the passengers to honor the dress code than to force NCL into having to enforce it. To me, it's wrong to put the staff in the awkward position of becoming the fashion police. It's very difficult to be insistent when it may result in an upset passenger submitting a negative comment card about you. Enough of those and a staff member could lose his job. In other words, the staff has to try their best to honor the "customer is always right" philosophy while still trying to point out the transgressions. Generally, I think they manage to screen out the most egregiously dressed individuals but sometimes even they bully their way into the dining room. Bottom line for me: I blame the passengers much more than I blame the cruise line.

Johnql has hit the nail on the head. Yes, the rules say something specific and yes, NCL sometimes enforces the rules, but I think all of the regulars on here can attest to seeing staff members verbally abused and threatened by whinny passengers. The same is true of the dining staff trying to enforce the dress code.

The problem lies with NCL's "Style" service reward system. If a passenger gives a staff member a bad report, then they lose points and points is what gets them promotions and pay raises. Many are afraid to risk a negative report in a confronation with a diner over their dress. I have long said that NCL should designate a certain group of crew members exempt from the negative reports and let them be the "heavys," When a passenger needs to be confronted for violating a rule (whether it be the dress code, no babies in the pool, you've had too much to drink, etc.), these crew members step in. Give them specialized training in dealing with confrontations even.

You will not be out of place whichever way you choose to dress. That is the best part of the Freestyle Concept... the opportunity to dress as YOU want and not be dictated to by a strict dress code.

If you want to dress up any night...then go for it. You won't be out of place in any venue.

If you want to not dress up and just go resort casual.... then go for it. You wont' be out of place in any venue.

If you want to simply wear shorts and t-shirts all week... then go for it. You will be restricted to the buffet, Blue Lagoon and pool deck grill (not all ships have a Blue Lagoon or pool deck grill), but you can still stay that way all week.

One of the key points about Freestyle Dress code that people seem to miss is the fact that you can dress up ANY night, not just the designated formal night. Your "celebration" day (anniversay, birthday, etc.) is different than the designated formal night... don't worry about it, dress up on YOUR night.

We often get a little dressier on a night other than formal night on NCL. It is much easier to have your formal picture taken on a different night because less people are having it done on those nights, but the photographers will still be set up every night.

Well said. I think it's sad that some folks decide to be stubborn and make the staff miserable about something so simple. It's not like we're talking tuxes.

Rich

I agree. I told my sons they couldn't wear jeans in Windows and there were tons of people there in jeans. Quite frankly, a decent pair of jeans looks a lot better than old polyester any day, but just stick to the rules.

Viv

I bet you wouldn't look out of place at all. I think you should wear what you want to wear, full length or knee length. Bet you will be the Bell of the Ball.

Archived