Suggestions for tampa?

ilmsg

We are thinking of booking the 2/7 Grandeur of the Seas 5-day western carribbean cruise out of Tampa. Have never been to Tampa, any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels close to the port? We were thinking of staying an extra day or two in Tampa provided there's enough to do... any ideas?

If you have the time, ride 40 mins.- an hour south to Sarasota---the beaches are absolutely gorgeous (Lido Key), and St. Armands Circle is a lovely way to spend an afternoon, shopping, restauranting.....It's beautiful! (Try Killman's candy and icecream....ymmm!)

Was just there (Dec 2&3) before my Grandeur cruise -- stayed at the Hyatt Regency downtown -- absolutely loved it and the location.

I found the Plant Museum worth it and even though the Aquarium was over-run with school trips - it too was worth it. Missed the penquin show as they didn't have one at 1:30 (10:30 and 3 instead):(.

Enjoy Tampa and your cruise on the Grandeur!

I haven't stayed there yet, but I have booked the Howard Johnson for my 1/24/09 cruise out of Tampa. It has free airport shuttle or parking if you drove yourself and free cruise terminal transfer. I also looked at the Embassy Suites, it has free airport shuttle and it looks like a cheap cab (about 7 miles from pier).

Check out the tampa departure port in the Florida departures section it was very helpful to me.

Cruised the Grandeur in November and stayed at the Hampton Inn Ybor City. It's only 1 mile from the port and in the center of this historic district that's loaded with wonderful restaurants within walking distance with lots of music and very colorful. This hotel has a package called something like sleep & sail for $99 a night that includes a yummy hot breakfast buffet each morning and you may leave your car in their covered lot for $7.50 per day and their free shuttle will take you to the port and pick you up on return. Beat the heck out of $15 a day at the port. The hotel was A+ with beautiful decor, clean and the service was superb. Have a great time.

The port of Tampa is located right next to downtown Tampa. There are about 4-5 good hotels within a mile or two. The Marriot, The Westin on Harbor Island, The Embassy Suites, the Hyatt, a Residence Inn, and a Sheraton. Unfortunately, downtown Tampa is pretty much just a business district. There is almost no shopping and the area is not active at night. In fact it almost shuts down around 6 p.m. If you are only there the night before - anyone of those would be fine. You are about a 5 minute drive to the port.

The Aquarium is next to the Port of Tampa. As is the St. Pete Forum (an arena that holds concerts, and Lightening Hockey games.)

The Hampton Inn in Ybor is definitely another hotel option. Ybor has restaurants and a nightclub scene, but not much else. Also, some areas of Ybor can get a bit wild.

Clearwater Beach is 30 miles to the west and has beautiful beaches, and a more touristy experience (shops, restaurants, bars, etc.)

And as mentioned by the other poster - Busch Gardens is also in Tampa (although about 15 miles from the port).

For that matter - all the theme parks in Orlando are only about a one hour drive from Tampa - so Disney and Universal are also options.

Enjoy.;)

There is plenty to do....Busch Gardens...St Pete Beach...Clearwater Beach....and some great restaurants. International Plaza is a great shopping area located right next to the airport...they have great stores and restaurants...lots of nightlife also, even have a hotel right there http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/tpaim-renaissance-tampa-hotel-international-plaza/

If you want an unforgettable dining experience, no trip to Tampa is complete without a visit to Berns Steak House.....they have the largest wine cellar in the world.....over a whopping 500,000 bottles of wine.

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

One thing I forgot to mention....Tampa is hosting the Superbowl this year....so the week before is going to be PACKED and I am sure a lot of people will be extending their Superbowl visit to enjoy the great Fl weather. This may effect flight costs for you, if you are flying in.

If you want an unforgettable dining experience, no trip to Tampa is complete without a visit to Berns Steak House.....they have the largest wine cellar in the world.....over a whopping 500,000 bottles of wine.

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

Going to Berns is worth it just for the Dessert Room alone!! Yummy!

The aquarium right next to the port is great. We have a family membership and really enjoy it!

I will be on that 2/7 Grandeur cruise. I found that most of the hotels in the port/dowtown area are already full for the night before we leave. The closest I could get was the Howard Johnson Plaza.

SUPERBOWL...I wounder how many people have cruises that week that don't know....most everything will be booked the first week of Feb...restaurants as well as hotels.

Archived