South America weather and how to dress

Pokemomma

We're sailing on the Star Princess 2/2/09 departing from Valpairso, Chile and ending in Buenos Aires. After checking all the weather forecasts, it looks to me like it's going to be cool or cold almost everywhere except Santiago and Buenos Aires, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little better what to expect weather-wise on this trip.

Thanks!

We're sailing on the Star Princess 2/2/09 departing from Valpairso, Chile and ending in Buenos Aires. After checking all the weather forecasts, it looks to me like it's going to be cool or cold almost everywhere except Santiago and Buenos Aires, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little better what to expect weather-wise on this trip.

Thanks!

Weather in the ports, 2007 and 2008 daily range from early AM to late PM

Valparaiso 57-86 & 57-87 respectivly

Puerto montt 54-57 and 54-75

Punta arenas 41-53 and 37-57 (wind 20mph to 37 gust to 50mph and 8mph to 13mph)

Ushuaia 46-57 and 39 57 (wind 19-30 gust to 43mph and 7mph to 17mph)

Port Stanley 40-57 and 37-53 (wind 15-24 and 6-26 gust to 38)

Montevideo 53-59 and 60-75 (wind11-17 and 4-13)

Buenos aires 72-85 and 73-84

no rain at any time in both years

The weather reports you have is typical for what you will experience on this cruise. The most northern areas on your particular cruise, Buenos Aires and Valparaiso, will be warm. As you go south from these areas it gets cooler and the further south you go it gets cooler and quite windy. So, we always recommend layering the clothing and for the cooler areas taking a scarf, hat, jacket, fleece and/or sweater, pants to keep you warm, etc. so that you can enjoy those excursions where the outside elements are cool and so you can spend time out and about on the open areas of the ship enjoying the beautiful scenery that is all around you.

Keith

My wife and I are on the same cruise and are so excited! Has anyone heard about the probability of NOT dooking at Pt. Stanley? I've heard that the seas can be very rough, and the odds are against being able to get into that port?

My wife and I are on the same cruise and are so excited! Has anyone heard about the probability of NOT dooking at Pt. Stanley? I've heard that the seas can be very rough, and the odds are against being able to get into that port?

The consensus of past posters over the years makes it 50-50

The seas can be rough. We made it there the last time we sailed there. Hopefully you'll get over there. If you do, consider seeing the Penguins. And dress warmly. It is very cold and very windy.

Keith

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to have a tough time packing ;)

I sure hope we get into Pt Stanley! We also have a private tour scheduled to see the penguins :eek:

We are doing sweatshirt layers, and an outer lightweight nylon shell and if we need a good windbreaker, we will have in our pockets a 50 gallon garbage bag. They make excellent windbreakers. Just look at the bums in the street in colder climates. Because of BA to Iguazu and Rio we are under a 33lbs, 1 bag rule. Will be doing lots of laundry and dry cleaning on the ship.

We just returned. I had 3 light sweaters, 1 pair jeans, many t's. We only needed a light jacket in Stanley (yes, we made it!). Things I wish I would have had? An extra pair of cordouroys or jeans (yes, jeans, the wind is fierce, or heavier cotton slacks, like Dockers). For the most part, we had excellent weather and I wore long sleeved tees or a thinner sweater and took a light jacket. Around the Horn and through the Strait and Fjords, our typical weather was in mid to low 40's, very windy and cold.......I also packed a heavy jacket (I carried it on the plane), knit gloves, knit cap and a scarf. I used all but the knit cap. In Santiago and BA, we could have, should have worn shorts! By the way, we also only had one bag each! Have a fantastic trip!

We are doing sweatshirt layers, and an outer lightweight nylon shell and if we need a good windbreaker, we will have in our pockets a 50 gallon garbage bag. They make excellent windbreakers. Just look at the bums in the street in colder climates. Because of BA to Iguazu and Rio we are under a 33lbs, 1 bag rule. Will be doing lots of laundry and dry cleaning on the ship.

If you go to the Falklands I highly recommend gloves, hat, scarf, northface type jacket and fleece and possibly sweater. You are out in the cold and the winds and the ocean.

Keith

alanmal.

there is a cheap alternative to the garbage bag. The dollar stores sell a two-pack of plastic rain ponchos for $1. Each pack is the size and weight of a folded garbage bag so they will fit just as well in your coat pocket. Plus they have a hood, they let you use your arms for pictures, and they look better than a garbage bag. We always keep a pack in the outside zipper pocket of each of our suitcases for emergencies.

A little more expensive are the nylon rain ponchos sold in the camping departments of sporting goods stores. They are durable and only slightly larger than the plastic bags. They can also fit in the outside pocket of the suitcase, a backpack or day pack, or in a coat pocket. And they are not very expensive.

Hope this helps.

alanmal.

there is a cheap alternative to the garbage bag. The dollar stores sell a two-pack of plastic rain ponchos for $1. Each pack is the size and weight of a folded garbage bag so they will fit just as well in your coat pocket. Plus they have a hood, they let you use your arms for pictures, and they look better than a garbage bag. We always keep a pack in the outside zipper pocket of each of our suitcases for emergencies.

A little more expensive are the nylon rain ponchos sold in the camping departments of sporting goods stores. They are durable and only slightly larger than the plastic bags. They can also fit in the outside pocket of the suitcase, a backpack or day pack, or in a coat pocket. And they are not very expensive.

Hope this helps.

TNX, we have a load of those poncho's left over from our Viking River china cruise tour. They gave them out every day, must have about 20-30 . Never used them, so don't know if they have a hood or not, will open one now.

In looking at all the discussion about weather on this route, I see that there are several people going on this same cruise! Have you made arrangements to the cruise port in Valparaiso and also back to the airport in Buenos Aires?

In Santiago, we are arriving a day early, and will need transport from our hotel in the Providencia area. In Buenos Aires, we have a whole day to spend, since our flight home doesn't leave until 11:30 pm. Any suggestions for how to spend the day (tours, etc.) and what to do with luggage during the day? And then, how to get to the airport?

If there are others out there who have already done this cruise and have suggestions, would love to hear from you.

Thanks

I can't stress enough to make sure you have "water resistant" tennis shoes. Rain can come and go in an instant and potholes and puddles can appear. Leave your heels at home because the ship can pitch except while in the Beagle channel.

Unless you want to spend all your time inside the ship make sure you layer and have a windproof but not loose jacket that the wind can't get under. The doors to the outside may be difficult to open and will slam shut.

Warm weather at each end of your cruise and people will be out and about but not so much as you go south.

You may have beautiful weather but you may not, so be prepared.

I can't stress enough to make sure you have "water resistant" tennis shoes. Rain can come and go in an instant and potholes and puddles can appear. Leave your heels at home because the ship can pitch except while in the Beagle channel.

Unless you want to spend all your time inside the ship make sure you layer and have a windproof but not loose jacket that the wind can't get under. The doors to the outside may be difficult to open and will slam shut.

Warm weather at each end of your cruise and people will be out and about but not so much as you go south.

You may have beautiful weather but you may not, so be prepared.

Absolutely. Many of us who have traveled here often have recommended that one come prepared for cold, windy and rainy weather.

As such, bringing along water proof shoes, hat, scarf, gloves, sweater, possibly fleece and North Face Jacket, waterproof pants are items that I recommend. Also, if walking on say the beach at the Falklands to see the Penguins I recommend purchasing the pads that painters put over their shoes that you just toss on the garbage when you get back to the tender.

The key is to layer and prepare for cool, windy and potentially rainy weather.

Keith

Keith,

I agree with you. Many layers and a windproof jacket and pants are the best solution. Lightweight windproof golf pants work well over thick pants and, if needed, long underwear. The new, denser windproof fleeces are ideal for layering since they will give warmth and extra protection under lighter windproof jackets rather than bringing a heavier coat. Plus they can be used by themselves in lighter winds. As needed, extra layers like long-sleeve tees, sweaters, etc can be used.

As for tennis shoes, they can be slippery regardless of whether they are waterproof. Light duty hiking shoes are a much better option and they do come in gore-tex or other waterproof finishes. I like the painters overshoes idea too.

Alanmal was planning on plastic bags as an additional windbreaker layer and, for his purposes, plastic ponchos are more functional, but they should really be kept as emergency measures for the occasional downpour.

I'm looking forward to my first round-the-horn trip, but I have been in plenty of windy, miserable weather up North.

Archived