Wine

jackjoyus

Hi I also have a question about the wine. I have searched the posts and could not find an answer. I saw on another post were security took the bottle of wine and said it would be delivered to the cabin. Do they always take it or can you walk on with it? Thanks!

Hi I also have a question about the wine. I have searched the posts and could not find an answer. I saw on another post were security took the bottle of wine and said it would be delivered to the cabin. Do they always take it or can you walk on with it? Thanks!

You carry the wine on with you, and declare it when you board the ship. We've never had security ask for it ...

Celebrities whine policies are sometimes confused by the ships personnel. We just finished a Christmas cruise on Galaxy, December 2008. At the Pan Am terminal in San Juan Celebrity Passenger Service told me no liquor could be brought aboard for use during the trip. They said to be sure, however I should check with an onboard Customer Services representative. That person told me each adult per cabin bring on one bottle of wine. Hard liquor, however will be held until the end of the cruise. I went back to the terminal, wine is a pretty cheap there. When I brought the wine back aboard they took it away from me, I protested and a ships officer in the area came to my rescue and told them I could bring it onboard for personal use. Please note this, however, they told me I could also leave it with the ship for use during my dinner time. They would only charge me $25 for corkage fee. Their ships offer no dinnertime wine packages. You can purchase any kind of liquor from them by the glass, however the price is very expensive. During the cruise, again they attempted confiscate a bottle of wine I bought ashore, but by protesting another ships officer intervened to clarify that I could bring aboard one bottle.

As I told my waiter and maitre d', without some kind of dinnertime wine package, at reasonable cost, I don't purchase, and you don't profit!

We brought two boxes of wine with us on board in December 2008 (as I'm sure you've heard they sell decent wine in boxes now). No questions asked and even brought it through the security line when entering the terminal. Just drank it in our room before dinner etc with clean wine glasses provided daily by attendent.

PS: 2 boxes=5 bottles in our case

Yes, bring it, by all means--2 bottles per person. HOWEVER, when our bags were scanned on the Summit a couple of weeks ago they were pulled for a security inspection because the scanner detected the bottles inside the bags. As a result our bags weren't delivered. We boarded at 2, and at about 10:30 (we were to sail at 11) we called and were told to report to the first deck where our bags had been detained (only the bags carrying the wine--the others had been delievered already, much earlier). What we found there was a chaotic pack of passengers complaining about their bags being detained, and NOT BEING NOTIFIED! We were worried our bags had been lost. We had to open up each bag individually and show them what was inside. What a mess. I think if people had liquor in their bags the liquor was being quarantined for the passengers until the end of their voyage. Could have been handled much better. Even worse, the elevators were so busy with people claiming bags that people were having a hard time getting upstairs with their bags. We carried two full size pullmans up to the 7th deck. Ticked me off, I'll tell you.

Could have been handled better.

I would think it would be extremely difficult to scan 6,000 bags looking for a bottle here or a bottle there of those who want to smuggle one in their checked luggage.

This is the first I've heard of this. I always carry a bottle of vodka in my luggage with a couple of bottles of wine with my carryon and never had a problem.

Anybody else ever heard of this?

We just got off Galaxy on 12/19 and I checked with security onboard and they assured me we could bring a bottle of wine per person onboard per port stop (or several if you deposit them, and later go out again). We would pour a glass in our cabin just before dinner and carry it into dining room. They even had waiters with trays so that as I entered the dining room, I gave my glass to the waiter and it was elegantly deposited on our table (and no corkage fee).

Does anyone bring their own wine when boarding the ship!! We alway that our own on the Princess ships wondering if we can also on Celebrity??:confused:

My policy is to pack it. Can't carry it on a flight anyhow.

Locally--and in ports--just put it well hidden in a bag and usually it will go through- They do have a policy which allows them to take it. They know it is in the bag with the x-ray, but just don't come in waiving your big bag of rum in bottles stating that you should be allowed to take it on board. Other customers are watching and crew members are forced to follow their own policy in front of other customers. You should be hiding your liquor purchase from the other passengers coming on board.

I have seen a bottle of Vodka taken from a friend during embarkation aboard Carnival. I had told him not to do it that way, but he tried anyhow. He got it back at the end of the cruise.

I was the one who reported that my bottle of wine was held by security on embarkation. They wrote our cabin number on the label and told me it would be delivered to our cabin. I was expecting it later that day. It did not show up until late the second afternoon--after I had been to Guest Relations twice to ask about it. The woman at Guest Relations seemed as puzzled as I was as to why security had held my bottle of wine. She repeated Celebrity's policy--two bottles of wine per stateroom are allowed.

While Celebrity does not have a wine package, I have found that the $23 bottles of red and white wines that you can purchase ahead of time and send as a gift to yourself are drinkable--and better quality than the $20-$30 wines on the wine list.

Archived