Ship docks in Rome at 4am--flight out at 11 am - shuttle or random taxi?

I was planning to set up a ride from the port to the airport but I'm wondering if at that early hour (walk-off by 5 am give or take) it would be easy to just get a cab there rather than reserve. It seems hard to give an exact time to a shuttle company in advance since there are so many variables but perhaps they (the more 'professional' ones) have a system of tracking when ships dock so if there was a delay they wouldn't be sitting waiting or leaving if you don't show up at the designated time.

My preference would be to have it set up ahead of time and not have to negotiate with a taxi driver that day - but if the consensus is a taxi would be easier & more flexible (& maybe cheaper than a reserved car?) I might go that route.

Thanks for any advice.

We had reserved a shuttle van for 12 of us from our CC group at a cost of 25€ a person for 6:30am. He was there wating for us (said he got there at 6:00) and it took us 50 minutes to get to the airport. We had an 11:15am flight but others on our shuttle had a 10:30 flight, which we all made with no problems.

Someone did ask one of the taxis that was there waiting how much it would be to the airport and he said $100.00. (I don't know if that was for the taxi or per person)

I think the shuttle services have dealt with all kinds of situations. So give them an appox time and the will be there early and wait for you if your late getting off the ship.

Thanks for that. I'll probably go ahead and reserve in advance and offer it out to our roll call & see if anyone wants to join & split the cost. Less to worry about that way. You'd be totally at the mercy of any cab drivers there -- they could charge whatever they want since you obviously NEED them.

I'm not sure how this works now - are you allowed to tell me which company you used - since I'm asking and you're not volunteering the info?

Thanks for that. I'll probably go ahead and reserve in advance and offer it out to our roll call & see if anyone wants to join & split the cost. Less to worry about that way. You'd be totally at the mercy of any cab drivers there -- they could charge whatever they want since you obviously NEED them.

I'm not sure how this works now - are you allowed to tell me which company you used - since I'm asking and you're not volunteering the info?

Hi, We're using Venice Airport Transfer. Cost is 70 euros for 6 people. Saw them mentioned on the cc board and they're quick to respond to any email.

Joan

We used romashuttle.com

Hi, We're using Venice Airport Transfer. Cost is 70 euros for 6 people. Saw them mentioned on the cc board and they're quick to respond to any email.

Joan

My mind is gone, You said Rome and I sent info for Venice. SORRY!:eek::(:confused:

Archived