Puerto Madryn - Private excursions, who and how much??

S&B

Have U browsed thru the Puerto Madryn website: www.madryn.gov.ar/turismo for reliable tour operators.

A note to those interested in visiting the Eco-Center,

FYI, there’s a free shuttle every 15 min. from Tourist Info Centre to Ecocentro from 10 o’clock to noon.

The tourist info centre is not far from the pier.

More info on Tourist Office. they're located on 223 Roca Av. (Puerto Madryn Town Hall) which is walking distance from the pier (three streets) to your left as you get off the ship's shuttle. Phone 54-2965-453504. e-mail: informes@madryn.gov.ar. Their hours are from 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. M-F 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. Summer: M-F 7 A.m. - 11 p.m. Sat-Sun 8 a.m.-11 p.m. For safety, they ask tourists not to hire any services in the street.

We didn't have this info before our trip. We could have joined a tour with them instead of wandering around the city. The trip to the Eco-Centro was interesting and it saved our day. :cool:

I was in Puerta Madryn a couple of weeks ago and booked a tour directly with Forastero Tour (from a list put out by the city). There were 4 in our group and we paid US$90 each. We met the tour at the end of the pier and our guide, Marcello, was very informative and went out of his way to be sure we enjoyed our tour. We went to Punto Tombo and were there before the crowds from the busses arrived. He took us shopping in the city when we returned because we requested it, but we could have stopped in Trelew or done whatever we wanted, as time allowed. I highly recommend them and be sure to ask for Marcello.

Nalla and Leonor...thank you for the information since it seems like most of the ships' excursion that are listed for the various ports are VERY expensive...many are ~$200. pp!! So we are trying to minimize booking the ships excursions as much as we can and were hoping to find tour companies/guides once off the ship. And Pueto Madryn was one of the ports that I was finding very little info for 'til I saw your postings. Thank you.

Nalla...did you book with Forastero Tours after you saw them 'recommended' by the tourist office? And did you just contact them immediately and there was a tour guide available? Or was this all arranged in advance of the ship's arrival?

Leonor...at the tour office...are there various tours available pretty much right away? Do you have to haggle about the price or is it set up already depending on how long and how far you go? (I hate haggling!!)

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide since we are sailing on Celebrity's Infinity 1/18/09 Valparaiso to BA.

Happy sailing!

I contacted several agencies from the city's list and chose the one that gave the best reply (many don't reply at all). I had not seen them recommended, but can now recommend them myself. I booked directly with them several months in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from a tour and took Monica (who had been raved about on these chatboards). She was terrific--has lived there for many years, spoke good English and even came with a great boxed lunch. We went to Puerto Madryn and also had time to stop in Gaiman. I would highly recommend Monica Mato at rymmato AT infovia DOT com DOT ar .

Joan

Piney10,

We are also booked to go with Monica on that tour. What was the boxed lunch? Did you have any time to shop? How long was the tour.

I am glad you had a wonderful time. Thanks for any info.

We went to Punto Tombo and then Gamain. We got off on the early tender (it's a tender port) and it went from about 8:30 until 2:30 or 3:00. If I recall, it was salad, a sandwich, some cheese, dessert and drinks (she had a chestful of drinks in the car). We were full because it was a good size. We had plenty of time to shop--the town of Puerto Madryn is relatively small and easy to get around and she made sure we would have enough time. She also was sensitive for those who needed to use toilets (and good flush ones). It is a long ride down to Punto Tombo but it was fascinating with a dirt road to the end. To get to Gaiman we also went on a dirt road but it was not bad at all.

One thing we found on this whole cruise is that it was difficult to find anything to buy. My 20 something children would never wear the sweaters, hats, etc. We did get shearling coats in BA which were substantially cheaper than we could get in this country but other than that I had trouble spending money on gifts (and I usually do). However, we were in Peru and Ecuador a few years back and did get a lot there (the pashminas, scarves, blankets, etc) so that may have sapped our interest this go round. All in all, though you will have a great time. Patagonia was marvelous as was going to the Cape Horn and all the other places. One of our trips of a lifetime!

We just returned from a tour and took Monica (who had been raved about on these chatboards). She was terrific--has lived there for many years, spoke good English and even came with a great boxed lunch. We went to Puerto Madryn and also had time to stop in Gaiman. I would highly recommend Monica Mato at rymmato AT infovia DOT com DOT ar .

Joan

Hi, Joan. Do you mind me asking what Monica was charging for the tour in U.S. $?

We went to Punto Tombo and then Gamain. We got off on the early tender (it's a tender port)

We toured with Piney10 (fantastic tour and M is a storehouse of knowledge) but I do have to correct her on one little detail. PM is not a tender port but the Infinity was docked out at Admiral Storni pier and had to shuttle to the center of town (you could not walk off the pier). Monica was not among the many tour companies that are permitted to pick up passengers right on the dock and that was a bit confusing.

The box-lunch that Monica provides is huge and really more than enough for one hungry person. I guess that not knowing what folks will eat, she makes sure to provide a variety.

I was in Puerta Madryn a couple of weeks ago and booked a tour directly with Forastero Tour (from a list put out by the city). There were 4 in our group and we paid US$90 each. We met the tour at the end of the pier and our guide, Marcello, was very informative and went out of his way to be sure we enjoyed our tour. We went to Punto Tombo and were there before the crowds from the busses arrived. He took us shopping in the city when we returned because we requested it, but we could have stopped in Trelew or done whatever we wanted, as time allowed. I highly recommend them and be sure to ask for Marcello.

I just booked Marcelo for our Feb 25, 2010 visit to Puerto Madryn on the Infinity. Price quoted is $125pp for two or $100 pp for four, but they have vehicles that can accommodate more. I initially emailed Monica but she never responded. We missed this port due to bad weather several years ago on a previous cruise, so we are looking forward to seeing the penguins this time around!

• 8 months later...
I just booked Marcelo for our Feb 25, 2010 visit to Puerto Madryn on the Infinity. Price quoted is $125pp for two or $100 pp for four, but they have vehicles that can accommodate more. I initially emailed Monica but she never responded. We missed this port due to bad weather several years ago on a previous cruise, so we are looking forward to seeing the penguins this time around!

Diane, could you email me directly? I'd like to get some information from you regarding this tour company... thanks! mlbrockies@juno.com

Diane, could you email me directly? I'd like to get some information from you regarding this tour company... thanks! mlbrockies@juno.com

We were in Puerto Madryn on April 1 2009 , Norwegian Sun.

Our Roll call CC group leader for this Port arrange a tour with Nievemar Tours , there was 12 in the group for a 6 1/2 hours tour to Peninsula Valdez to see the Elephant Seal Lions and a small colony of Penguins.

The cost was $45.USD pp for the tour plus $13.USD for the Park entry fee.

We had a great guide and was a marvellous experience.

She never responded to my email.

Try sending it again. Sadly, e-mail is not fool-proof and more often than we would like, e-mail gets lost.

We shared Piney10's tour with Monica and had a fabulous time. She knows so much about the penguins and the history of the area.

For those of you who have been to Puerto Madryn can you tell me if you used a private excursion and how much you paid? Who was your tour operator?

Thanks. :)

HI i will go this january ,,,I have relatives there and they have contacted me with Flamenco Tour. They have a web site...they was kind with me,,, talk with gustavo in ventas@flamencotour.com

the information of the tours i have seem in

when you take the ship??? i will go NORwegian Sun 01/28/10

Just an FYI

The tours to Peninsula Valdes offer an opportunity to see something most will never see-the absolutely HUGE southern elephant seals (plus a few penguins, maybe).

The road is dusty and bumpy. I have been there twice. The first time, our van blew a tire on the way down. Then the spare blew on the way back. Thank goodness, another van gave us his spare. IF the other van had not showed up, we would have missed the ship. I was slightly worried (I travel a lot in South America for business), but other people were totally freaking out.

Something to think about when booking private tours to places far away from the ship. But I wouldn't miss the elephant seals for anything. Most of the time saving money is worth it, but sometimes you will end up paying more than the savings on ship vs private tour. It would have been VERY expensive to buy last minute walk up ticketss to fly meet the ship. Just an FYI.

We are looking for tour info about Gaiman and Welsh Tea. Can any one recommend a tour guide. Thanks

Hello i will do TOmbo,,,but i know about welsh tea,,,you can enter in http://www.flamencotour.com/ and them GAIMAN ,,to see phtos but to get info ask for Saida is the tour guide ,,,i have contacted with them ....saida_soto@yahoo.com.ar...

Archived