RX meds/vitamins/OTC meds

cfc525

The TSA cannot take pills away from you............... The have no right.....

They can stop you from taking more than 3oz of a medicine I guess. But that is any liquid and has nothing to do with a prescription.

I don't know where anyone gets the idea that the TSA can enforce drug laws. Not there job.....

Customs can do this, but they are not going to bother over a few pills. More likely to get stopped for large amounts of vitamins and over the counter then a three week supply of prescription pill.

Like I said, don't know where people get the miss-information about the TSA.

Hello????? Until you actually experience this, you have no right to make these comments. I have ACTUALLY been questioned about my prescription medications by the TSA at various airports. My mom has been questioned many, many times by TSA at airports. I've been taken aside by TSA and asked about my prescriptions. Heck, a TSA agent in Milwaukee went through my mom's wallet when we were flying to Las Vegas and he asked her why she was carrying so much cash. These people do a lot of things we may not think is within their scope of employment, and they get away with it. We all know that some agencies and agents take liberties with their power, but to tell people here that it can't happen does a disservice to everyone. It DOES HAPPEN and I have first hand experience.

One does not have to travel with the actual pharmacy bottles in order to have a , accurate, current and up to date listing of their medications. I always have such a listing in my purse, in my carryon and in DH's carryon.

If my listing of medications were to be lost, so would those pharmacy bottles I would have been carrying..... as they are both in my purse and/or carryon. BUT DH's carryon has the list.

I also have them listed in an e-mail to myself andto DH. Those e-mails could be accessed from any computer.

Carrying the list is equally good as carrying the bottles in terms of information as long as one is certain to keep it current and obviously recognizable to a medical professional. A Bright Red Cross on it is recognized universally.

I have stated what my husband has experienced, plain and simple. I have not provided any "misinformation". Just because the TSA did not question your medications, that does not mean my husband hasn't been stopped multiple times.

As I stated before, my husband flies around 100k miles a year, many times buying his ticket the same day he flies. He has been stopped on more than one occasion at security for additional screening and has had his medication bag gone through by a TSA agent.

Why don't you question the TSA next time you go through security and let us know how it goes. Hopefully, it won't be you we see on the nightly news being handcuffed for asking a question or having your pants pulled down like happened to one elderly gentleman.

He might want to check in on the FlyerTalk "security" board from time to time.

I have stated what my husband has experienced, plain and simple. I have not provided any "misinformation". Just because the TSA did not question your medications, that does not mean my husband hasn't been stopped multiple times.

As I stated before, my husband flies around 100k miles a year, many times buying his ticket the same day he flies. He has been stopped on more than one occasion at security for additional screening and has had his medication bag gone through by a TSA agent.

Why don't you question the TSA next time you go through security and let us know how it goes. Hopefully, it won't be you we see on the nightly news being handcuffed for asking a question or having your pants pulled down like happened to one elderly gentleman.

OT (kind of): I don't doubt your stories one bit, but I am pretty firmly convinced that John Adams would smack us all upside the head, Ben Franklin would remind us about getting what we "deserve" (love that quote), and Thomas Paine would probably lump us in with summer soldiers and sunshine patriots. Why? Because we have ceded so much control and authority to an appointed agency which seems to hire the cheapest possible employees, many of whom seem to be so insecure or lacking in their lives that they revel in the "power trip" of being able to screw with other people's lives. That we've gotten to a point where we'd all say, "I'd rather not risk anything" (and I'm guilty there too), where you can be handcuffed and arrested for asking a question, and where so-called "authorities" can publicly pull down/off your clothes just because they feel like it says quite a bit about how far we've strayed from the ideals.

beachchick

I work for a Dr and he has a closet full of medication samples. All in the original packaging. Could you ask your Dr for samples to take on your cruise? This idea won't work for controlled medications, but would for many heart, diabetes, Gerd etc. Then you throw out the little package when the medicine is gone. I know our office would give the samples without a problem.

I'm not a cruiser. Yet. I am saving for a cruise. I've been lurking since I attended a wedding on the Pride in July. I feel like I know a lot about cruises, thanks to this board. My son graduates ASU in May and hopefully my savings will accelerate. Sometimes I think I have a good idea, and wanted to share.:o

OT (kind of): I don't doubt your stories one bit, but I am pretty firmly convinced that John Adams would smack us all upside the head, Ben Franklin would remind us about getting what we "deserve" (love that quote), and Thomas Paine would probably lump us in with summer soldiers and sunshine patriots. Why? Because we have ceded so much control and authority to an appointed agency which seems to hire the cheapest possible employees, many of whom seem to be so insecure or lacking in their lives that they revel in the "power trip" of being able to screw with other people's lives. That we've gotten to a point where we'd all say, "I'd rather not risk anything" (and I'm guilty there too), where you can be handcuffed and arrested for asking a question, and where so-called "authorities" can publicly pull down/off your clothes just because they feel like it says quite a bit about how far we've strayed from the ideals.

beachchick

hear, hear. I agree 100%. "Those that are willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither."

I work for a Dr and he has a closet full of medication samples. All in the original packaging. Could you ask your Dr for samples to take on your cruise? This idea won't work for controlled medications, but would for many heart, diabetes, Gerd etc. Then you throw out the little package when the medicine is gone. I know our office would give the samples without a problem.

I'm not a cruiser. Yet. I am saving for a cruise. I've been lurking since I attended a wedding on the Pride in July. I feel like I know a lot about cruises, thanks to this board. My son graduates ASU in May and hopefully my savings will accelerate. Sometimes I think I have a good idea, and wanted to share.:o

That is an outstanding idea as long as accompanied by a note from the doctor that this person was given these packets by him for his/her use.

My only hesitation is I feel those samples should go to folks who have trouble paying for their medications and could help out a person who may go without if not given the sample packets.

I'd love to ask my doc for some packets to cut down the number of bottles I lug along for DH and myself.

A couple of things...

1st, sail7seas is right! :)

Name and Meds info should be together on Doctor letterhead with his License number on it.

Otherwise sample meds unlabeled put you back in the same boat as the pills in a pill container unlabeled

WHAT MY DOCTOR SAID TODAY!

Today was my pain doctor day when I get at least 15 trigger point injections into my stomach..so we have time during these for lengthly chats..

This is his take on the subject we have been discussing. Remember his speciality his pain management and is more updated on transportation of meds because of his patients and what he prescribes regularly in his field of expertise.

Pain doc was adamant about the labeling and writing your prescription for smaller bottles even though it's mail order said any doctor that won't do it for you should be reported. He said you should have at least 1 small pharmacy labeled container that you can easily transport in your day pack the rest can be big containers you keep locked in your carryon or shipboard safe.

He also mentioned that having your doctor put a note in your record when you are traveling where you will be and if your doctor is not available and an overseas doctor calls to inquire about medicine that the doctor on call approves it after accessing the circumstances.

Apparently he did that with me and I didn't know it.

He also reminded me to tell you all (which I forgot to say on our website) if you are traveling OVERSEAS with ANY narcotic component to call each countries embassy and our embassy in that country to verify if it is legal to carry your meds or to have CONSUMED on the ship but be in port...for example Dubai and Singapore should be off your list of travel destinations.

Does that make sense?

ok pain meds are now kicking in ~ need to take advantage of that and take a nap!

Archived