Question about upgrades

cruisincory

Hello. My wife and I are going on our 2nd cruise with Carnival in September aboard the Fasination. We are going to book a Carnival Assigned OV room. What can we do to have the best chance for an upgrade?

Unlikely you will ever get an automatic upgrade with an assigned room, since most people book specific staterooms for a reason (location, proximity to other guests, etc) You may, however, be offered an upsell opportunity where you can get a deal on a paid upgrade, but they will contact you in that event.

Your best bet for a free upgrade is book a guaranteed category, but even then, it is quite possible you will get no upgrade, and be assigned to a "bad" cabin. Personally, I always book guaranteed category and have been upgraded all but once in 10 cruises.

Well, I really dont think they could give us a "bad" room. Hell, as long as I am on that ship, I will sleep in a closet! LOL But, we couldnt afford anything higher than an OV, but a balcony or a suite would be nice. Maybe next year!

Unlikely you will ever get an automatic upgrade with an assigned room, since most people book specific staterooms for a reason (location, proximity to other guests, etc) You may, however, be offered an upsell opportunity where you can get a deal on a paid upgrade, but they will contact you in that event.

Your best bet for a free upgrade is book a guaranteed category, but even then, it is quite possible you will get no upgrade, and be assigned to a "bad" cabin. Personally, I always book guaranteed category and have been upgraded all but once in 10 cruises.

I think a Carnival assigned cabin IS a guarantee booking, just another term for it.

They assign the room you do not pick it.

;)

Hello. My wife and I are going on our 2nd cruise with Carnival in September aboard the Fasination. We are going to book a Carnival Assigned OV room. What can we do to have the best chance for an upgrade?

My TA said that people who've filled out their E-docs online, are the people they look for first, ie, the sooner you fill them out, the more likely that you will be picked for an upgrade.

GL!

My TA said that people who've filled out their E-docs online, are the people they look for first, ie, the sooner you fill them out, the more likely that you will be picked for an upgrade.

GL!

And others say its probably the people who paid the most for that particular category. Who the heck knows. You TA is guessing.

btw I paid about 8 months in advance and filled out the edocs way in advance. I even applied $60 of a decrease in price to upgrading and still only up to Empress deck, same category. Most upgrades are inside to inside, OV to OV, etc, same type of cabin on a higher deck.

Well, I really dont think they could give us a "bad" room. Hell, as long as I am on that ship, I will sleep in a closet! LOL But, we couldnt afford anything higher than an OV, but a balcony or a suite would be nice. Maybe next year!

After our experience on the Destiny, I would never book a guaranteed OV cabin on Carnival again. The cabin layout was nice and although the room was very comfortable, the location sucked!

They had us right below the room service dishwashing area, next to a fire entrance door and across the hall from 2 crew stairwells (where the doors constantly slammed behind them). Even with the small amount of time we spent in our cabin, being awakened at 4:45 each morning was very rude.

Go with what you can afford, find a cabin location that you like and secure it early on. Trust me, there are bad cabin locations.

I think a Carnival assigned cabin IS a guarantee booking, just another term for it.

They assign the room you do not pick it.

;)

Well, duh! What he said... :o

(Told ya I was still hung over)

As far as who/why you get one, I have not see a trend. In fact, the one time I was not upgraded, it was the most I had ever paid for a cruise. IMO it has more to do with more availability of higher category staterooms and lower availability of lower category staterooms. Since the lower categories are usually lower priced, they will sometimes move you up to a higher category to make the cheaper staterooms available (presumably).

If you are willing to gamble that your "Carnival Assigned" cabin is not below the dance floor, or over the engines, then you may be rewarded with an upgrade. (I have never had a "bad" stateroom either ;))

GL!

Ah...not so. I booked my Carnival Splendor for January 24, 2009 in March 2008. I immediately filled out my online FunPass stuff. I am 22 days away from sailing and I have no assignment yet! AND, I'm a Carnival Platinum guest!

Best I can tell- pray.

You will be told many things. Book early. Book late. Fill forms out early. Wait til the night before. Be a newbie to cruising. Be a Platinum cruiser. Call and beg. Don't ever call or you will jinx it. Have 4 in a cabin. Have 1 in a cabin.

Pray.

Best I can tell- pray.

You will be told many things. Book early. Book late. Fill forms out early. Wait til the night before. Be a newbie to cruising. Be a Platinum cruiser. Call and beg. Don't ever call or you will jinx it. Have 4 in a cabin. Have 1 in a cabin.

Pray.

That's what I told my MIL to do!

Archived