Not a fan of Sensation

beachbum1978

Just returned from the Carnival Sensation 4 day Bahama sail, and I was not a fan. This was only my second cruise, my former cruise being on Norwegian, and overall, it was not a good experience. The ship itself is VERY outdated. The whole ship looks like it is straight out of 1985. While the ship itself was clean, it was not visually pleasing at all.

The food was poor. Our service in the dining room was awful...our waiter messed up our orders, our food was very late (the surrounding tables were on dessert when we didn't even have our main course yet), and the quality just wasn't very good. The buffet was very small and did not offer much of a selection. The 24 hour pizza restaurant WAS good, and surprisingly that was probably some of the best food I had on the ship!

We did have a wonderful room steward, who helped to make our stay more enjoyable.

I am not one to complain, but this ship was not what I expected at all. At least I have another cruise to compare it to, but 6 of the people traveling with us had this as their first cruise experience and now have a bad taste of the whole cruise experience.

I haven't sailed Sensation, but I happen to be a big fan of the Fantasy-class ships.

Yep, they're older. Don't know when Sensation was last reburbished, but I thought Fascination was lovely.

Our food on Fascination was better than it was on Miracle or Glory (meaning it was very, very good).

I just love the layout of that class ship. I don't need the supper club. I don't need a balcony for a short cruise. The prices are great, and I've always had great service and a wonderful time.

For the price, I think they're an outstanding value.

If I could, I'd jump in the car and drive to Jacksonville for the next Fascination sailing, but, sadly, I can't.

I hope to sail all the Fantasy-class ships eventually.

Sorry your cruise wasn't what you were expecting.

I haven't sailed Sensation, but I happen to be a big fan of the Fantasy-class ships.

Yep, they're older. Don't know when Sensation was last reburbished, but I thought Fascination was lovely.

Our food on Fascination was better than it was on Miracle or Glory (meaning it was very, very good).

I just love the layout of that class ship. I don't need the supper club. I don't need a balcony for a short cruise. The prices are great, and I've always had great service and a wonderful time.

For the price, I think they're an outstanding value.

If I could, I'd jump in the car and drive to Jacksonville for the next Fascination sailing, but, sadly, I can't.

I hope to sail all the Fantasy-class ships eventually.

Sorry your cruise wasn't what you were expecting.

I agree the Fascination is great. The food, crew etc. was FAR better than my recent cruises on the Glory & Splendor and the price was unbelievably low.

I have been on the original Fantasy class ship, what else but the Fantasy. I was not crazy about the dining room food, but the service on the entire ship was very good. I always found something that I liked to eat somewhere on the ship. I researched this ship first and pretty much knew what to expect. I felt it was a great value for the money.

It sounds like your ship was lacking in service, which is unfortunate. I liked the size of the Fantasy class ships, they're not overwhelming. The interior of the Fantasy was a bit dated, a little worn perhaps, but very clean. Considering how much they're used, I do think the cruise lines take very good care of their ships.

I didn't expect a 5 star cruise on my Fantasy cruise because I didn't pay a 5 star price. All in all I was pleased with my experience, and urge you to try again on a different ship perhaps on a newer ship. The prices will most likely be a bit higher tho.

We've been on Sensation twice, the last time was a year ago. We went on a four night cruise with a couple who were first time cruisers. I really like the bigger, newer ships with more amenities, so honestly I was a bit concerned that the Sensation wouldn't measure up. Also, the fact that it was four nights and not seven didn't thrill me either, but that's all we could talk them into for their first cruise.

Was the ship outdated looking? Sure, but each Carnival ship (just like people) has its own personality. The Sensation is like, well, a purple disco. :p I'm happy to say we had very good service on our cruise, and the food was very good as well. It gave the other couple a good taste of what cruising is like and they want to cruise again. We had a great time, and I'm not one bit sorry we cruised on the Sensation. Unfortunately, we've been on a couple cruises (on much larger, newer ships) where we had poor service and it really does affect your overall experience.

We were on Sensation on Thanksgiving weekend. The decor is typical Fantasy class. The ship was clean and the crew was friendly and courteous. We noticed that the Dining Room service WAS a bit slow and disorganized and that our waiter had more tables than he could handle. The Dining Room food was actually QUITE good (we did notice that the menu now "lumps" the salad and the appetizer "courses" together - we just ordered an appetizer and a salad). We found the Buffet food to be plentiful and hot, but the Buffet was quite crowded and we DID have to search a bit for a table. We had a GREAT trip marred only by the overcast weather almost the entire trip. KEN

We just returned from the same sailing:) We had a really great time, I am sorry to hear that you did not. We found service everywhere on the ship to be friendly and immediate. Some of the food was great, some was okay, but I find the same thing at most restaurants. We DO like the Fantasy class ships; as well as other classes also.

I will say this is the first time I have not met my room steward. He/she did a great job, I just never saw them. I also missed having a balcony.

The tragedy at the end of the cruise was the only low spot in our cruise. I hope you enjoy your next trip much better.

We LOVED Sensation (like purple too), but at that time, it was doin Tampa to Grand Cayman/Cozumel. We did Bahamas on Fantasy and while we liked the ship, you can have the Bahamas. I also like the Fantasy class ship. I like all the open air deck space especially around the lido buffet. All depends on what you like I guess.

We did the Sensation in October and aside from the cloudy weather in the Bahamas we had a great time. We found the ship clean, and personnel very friendly. THe dining room food was delicious, and the buffet was great too. I am sorry you were disappointed. But, DH and I would do the Sensation again. And it is being refurbished in January.

Oh well...guess we just had a bad experience! Glad every one else enjoyed their time on the Sensation.

Most people with a dissenting view or opinion will probably not want to post here due to the flameing they will receive. I've been on the Sensation 7 years ago, it was old looking then. I did like the ports, western Caribbean and New Orleans. Wasn't the best cruise, nor the worst, so I won't be critical. Besides, I don't have my flame retardant suit handy.

Most people with a dissenting view or opinion will probably not want to post here due to the flameing they will receive. I've been on the Sensation 7 years ago, it was old looking then. I did like the ports, western Caribbean and New Orleans. Wasn't the best cruise, nor the worst, so I won't be critical. Besides, I don't have my flame retardant suit handy.

Ha ha ha!!

I definitely don't mean to offend anyone who liked the Sensation. It just wasn't what I expected.

No offense taken !

It happens to be the first ship I sailed on --- 7-day out of Tampa (Cheryl sailed on a couple of cruises with girlfriends before).

So, there is a special place in our heart for Fantasy class ships in general, and the Sensation in particular.

We look forward to sailing on the Sensation again after her refurbishment (coming up this month).

Tom

Yeah she will be refurbed this month, suppose to be adding flat screens to every room, something like 86 balconies, new carpet, fresh paint, etc.

We were going to sail her in April for our Honeymoon but decided the 4 day was too short for a honeymoon so we are going with a 7 day on the Libtery! Whoo hoo can't wait! :):D:p:cool::D

Ha ha ha!!

I definitely don't mean to offend anyone who liked the Sensation. It just wasn't what I expected.

Sorry you didn't have a great cruise and didn't find the Sensation to be what you expected. I hope you can convience those other 6 people that were on their first cruise that there are many different ships and difference cruiselines and just because they weren't happy with one cruiseship doesn't mean there aren't many more choices out there that they would love which could include newer Carnival ships.

We recently sailed on the Fascination, another older ship and while we did enjoy our vacation as we love cruising and did so quite inexpensively, if I were to judge cruising based only upon that cruiseship I wouldn't be singing the praises of cruising quite so loudly. We found that the older ships just aren't for us as we prefer a different cruise experience. I think the fact that NCTribeFan and others loved the Facination is great and just shows that there are different ships for different people which in the long run is a good thing but unfortunate when ones first or second cruise is not on a ship that they find to their liking.

Now that you've narrowed down the type of ship you aren't happy with it should make picking another cruise that much easier!:D

It's not for everyone... for 15-16 years old, she's not so bad, especially for the price. I really like the Fantasy class ships, but I really don't care about the decor of any of the ships... couldn't tell you a general theme of any I've been on :p My first two cruises were on the Sensation, so she holds a special place in my heart and I'd love to go on her with the refurb, but I hate the itinerary... the Fantasy class ships are definitely a bit older and "flashier"... but the ones I have been on have been well maintained. I've seen some amazing deals on those ships though, so I definitely wouldn't pass them up. However, the service issue isn't good. Did you discuss this with the Maitre'D? What if anything did he say?

Sorry you and your group didn't enjoy the cruise :( You may want to stick with the newer ships/longer cruises... you won't find nearly as much neon and purple :p

I see plenty of people on here giving objective reviews and stating disappointments they've had with cruises. I don't see any flaming going on in this thread, and I feel perfectly comfortable coming on this board and giving my honest opinion. It isn't always wine and roses, though, for the most part, I have been very happy with my experiences on Carnival. We've done a couple Royal Caribbean cruises, too. There were both positives and negatives with both cruises. Funny thing is, since I really prefer Carnival over Royal Caribbean, I don't feel the need to bombard the RC board with negative or sarcastic posts.

Just to quell the fears of those booked on Sensation, we had the exact opposite experience less than a year ago. The ship is a bit dated, but it's clean, the food was good, and the service was spectacular. She's going in for a major overhaul later this month.

We were on her in March of last year (wow 08 is gone!) and except for the food in the dining room had a great time. I would put the food at a 1 out of 5. Service was great, waiter everyone constantly apologized for the horrid food. The buffet food was decent and of course there was the pizza and the deli so no starving! Had a wonderful time and am doing the Fascination in 12 days! It leaving out of Jacksonville did it for us... 4 hour trip there. I love hearing how people really enjoyed the Fascination.

Congrats Utes fan and any Rebels fans out there, too.

Personally, I like the Fantasy class ships. Small enough to get around easily and the ones we have been on were very well maintained. Of course, I it really does not matter to me if the decor is up to date-- too many other goods things to concentrate on :) ;)

Yeah, I don't like to bombard the RC board with negative or sarcastic posts either. :)

GO UTES !!!

No offense taken !

It happens to be the first ship I sailed on --- 7-day out of Tampa (Cheryl sailed on a couple of cruises with girlfriends before).

So, there is a special place in our heart for Fantasy class ships in general, and the Sensation in particular.

We look forward to sailing on the Sensation again after her refurbishment (coming up this month).

Tom

Hey Tom & Cheryl,

Are you going to be on The Sensation in Feb. after the refurb?? We will be there the 26th. Still hoping to meet you both someday.

Hey Tom & Cheryl' date='

Are you going to be on The Sensation in Feb. after the refurb?? We will be there the 26th. Still hoping to meet you both someday.

We'll meet one day!!

We are considering a B2B on the Sensation for our 25th anniversary in late October of this year.

I look forward to hearing how you like the modifications - w/new balconies and all!!!

Tom

Archived