Quality of hairdryers on Oosterdam. Should I bring my own?

jillluvsnate

The ones on the Ryndam were great. The ones on the bathroom wall got really hot and were awkward IMO, but the ones in the vanity drawer were fine. Not sure if they are ionic, but good enough that I won't bother with packing one when we are on the Oosterdam in February. Have a great cruise-hope you are almost through packing.

The hairdryer in our cabin on our Dec. '08 Oosterdam cruise was 1600 watt and non-ionic. It was located in a little side-door under our desk/vanity, so not wall-mounted. It did the job, but with my long hair, I missed the power of my 1875 dryer at home. I'm glad it was there though since it was one-less-thing that needed to be packed. :D

DH and I can't remember seeing any in the bathroom, so I think this was the only dryer in our cabin.

DH and I can't remember seeing any in the bathroom, so I think this was the only dryer in our cabin.

The original hairdryers on the S- and R-class ships were wall-mounted in the bathroom. They were not removed when the hand-held dryers were placed in the cabins fleet-wide, but the other ships don't have them.

They still come in handy to clear off the mirror after a shower. ;)

Thanks to all who replied! We just got back today and I thought I would give my input on the hairdryers for anyone who is interested...

No, they are not ionic but with the water softener on the ship my hair was very smooth anyway! We only had the one dryer in the vanity(Oosterdam). I wish it had a little more power as it took me a very long time to dry my long hair but it worked just fine. I don't think I would pack one in the future.

Thanks again for the input! :)

• 4 months later...

I am so glad I found my answer here. Mom and I are sailing the Ooosterdam in September and I was hoping they had the handheld dryer in the cabin rather than a wall mount in the bathroom. Some mornings will be tight for time and hogging the bathroom to dry my hair would be impossible! What a great site this is!

Having the hair drier by the vanity is a very nice feature on HAL. Like you said it frees up the bathroom. I have short fine hair, so in 2 minutes or less my hair is dry. Many times I have wished for thick hair with body. But everytime I blow dry my hair at the gym, I'm done in a flash, but women with thick lovely hair have been standing there blow drying their hair in the time I showered, got dressed and did my makeup. At any rate, its nice not to have to pack a hair drier.

Archived