Internet usage while cruising

Rick & Rosella

We are going on the Costa Fortuna on March 15 to Italy........17 days. Can anyone give us some advice on how to keep in touch with those cold Canadians at home and not cost us an arm and a leg? We are thinking laptop to give us fast on and off the net, if we are prepared and just download and upload. Should we do our internet on the ship or on the stops at port.

Thanks in advance for your help.

R & R :)

No, there is no wireless internet access on Costa. You must pay to use their slow computers. It was, I believe, a couple of euros per minute, but I could be wrong.

What about ethernet outlets in the rooms?

What about ethernet outlets in the rooms?

Ethernet! YOu should count yourself lucky if you get a bed.:)

There are no Wifi or Ethernet connections on any Coasta ships. There is the on board Internet Cafe, which is very slow and will cost you an aram and a leg to use.

As previuosly mentioned use the Internet Cafe at your ports of call (always near the cruise berth - often used by the crew).

You can use your Cell / Mobile / Handy phones on board even in the middle of the Atlantic (looks like you are on a TA cruise). This is also very expensive as it uses a satellite connection.

I personally do not take a notebook, do not use the on board Internet Cafe. I have my cell phone with me and send / receive messages (only absolute urgent ones) when in a port of call, when on the ship it is switched off. I go on holiday to get away from the folks back home.

You're on vacation, enjoy yourself, if you need to maintain contact with the folks back then take them with you on your next cruise.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Rick and Rosa,

I need internet info too. I need to keep my business going, which is accepting and making reservations for my vacation rentals for the summer in the U.S. so have to get email and reply. My husband and I will be on the Europa, but what you learn my apply to us. Please pass on any info.

Thanks, Suzanne

If you are a member of the Costa Club (see their web site) you get a reduction in the Internet Cafe charges but the service is still slow. As previously stated, this is the only way to access the internet on Costa ships - there is no wifi.

I had also taken my PDA and signed up with Boingo but found that it was a waste of time and money as many of the locations listed on their web site did not even exist.

For information on the use of cell phones in Europe please see: http://www.slowtrav.com/europe/cell_phones.htm but note that Cingular is now AT&T Wireless. I used my Nokia phone with AT&T service all over Europe and around the Mediterranean without a problem. You should check the web site of your provider to see if your phone will work in Europe as many won't. Also you need to tell your provider that you need international roaming. If you have a corporate rate on your cell you may qualify for cheaper international rates than those posted on their web sites so call and ask.

Also search the Cruise Critic Mediterranean site as there have been numerous posts devoted to cell phones in Europe.

Good to hear there will be some other Canadians on the Fortuna on the 15th! My Father's Family was all born and raised in Little Fort-just north of Kamloops. We will have to get together on board and trade-"do you know?s"

I have used the internet service on a bunch of ships and a bunch of cruise lines and as long as you expect "dial up" speeds-then you will be fine.

You have to remember that you are on a ship -on the ocean- everything has to go all the way up to the Satellite and back down again... Very Expensive! Often Slow!

Archived