Waterproof Digital Cameras

BroncosFan2010

Currently, my DH and I are borrowing a waterproof case from my in laws. However, we would like to invest in our own waterproof digital camera for future cruises. Can anyone recommend a good brand that is not terribly expensive?? We would mostly use it for snorkeling.

Also, are there better deals for waterproof cameras in the Caribbean, or are we better off buying here in the states? There is a dive shop near our house, but the nicer cameras can go for as much as $1000!!! We are looking to spend only a few hundred.

my hubby bought me the OLYMPUS Stylus 1030, it's waterproof and shockproof, and is 10.1 Megapixel. it was about $300 i think. i've broken the screen on 2 other cameras from dropping them, and so far this one is still intact after being dropped a few times!!

my hubby bought me the OLYMPUS Stylus 1030, it's waterproof and shockproof, and is 10.1 Megapixel. it was about $300 i think. i've broken the screen on 2 other cameras from dropping them, and so far this one is still intact after being dropped a few times!!

I have looked at these. Is is waterproof up to a certain depth? It does not look waterproof, so that worried me. I am wondering if it is water resistant and would not fair well on several snorkeling trips in a week.... Just a thought. I might have to look at this option more closely.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Olympus-Stylus-850-SW-8-Megapixel-Digital-Camera-Silver/sem/rpsm/oid/204931/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do?cc_fm=Similar+Items+Mod

We have an Olympus Stylus 850 like the one in the link except mine is orange.:p I absolutely love it. It has been in and out of a pocket for pictures while climbing Dunns River falls with no leakage. We have used it in swimming pools, ocean, rain and snow. Very durable and good pictures too.

I have looked at these. Is is waterproof up to a certain depth? It does not look waterproof, so that worried me. I am wondering if it is water resistant and would not fair well on several snorkeling trips in a week.... Just a thought. I might have to look at this option more closely.

not sure about that, me am terrifed of fish so will never go snorkling with it!! i'll mail him and ask him, as he is the PM on board so he will know if it is, or if not, maybe he'll be able to recomend one for you. i'll let you know what he says!!

I just bought the olympus stylus 850sw today. it was $250, and is waterproof up to 3 meters (about ten feet), which is perfect for snorkeling. i can't speak to it's underwater picture taking, but i've been taking test shots around the house, and they're coming out great. i've read several online reviews, and this is a waterproof camera. i did a search for "olympus" on the photo discussion board, and came up with several threads with sample shots underwater! i feel confident that this was a great purchase, and i'll be testing it out next week on the norwegian jewel!

I have the same camera and I love it. It's been all over the caribbean and in the ocean more times than I care to count. The only thing you need to be careful of is sand. I have had mine down to at least 25 feet with no problems. It is however very hard to pick out small fish while wearing a mask. I wrap the strap around my hand and dive away. People look at you very funny when you take it into the ocean.....

we bought oneof these as well (olympus 1030) and fully plan on taking it snorkelling. one thing a friend did mention to us (he dives) he said make sure the camera is upright when you open any of the campartments so that no water gets inside. and don't forget to rinse it in plain water, after exposing it to the salt water. these things will help..so he says...we'll see.

on olympus website it shows them using it for snorkeling there are a few models with different depths being used. but they do have an attachemnet for deeper diving if that will make you feel more secure.

happy swiming!

Good luck with whichever you choose! I am the proud owner of the Olympus 770sw.. it is the older model from the 850 and 1030 but the waterproof "approved" depth on it is further down than the newer models. I believe mine is waterproof to 33 ft. It has been taken by other deeper than that with no problems though.

I purchased it after getting tired of the shots I was getting from the disposable cameras and they do not make a waterproof housing for my Canon S3. It has been dropped numerous times now and keeps on kicking. The battery lasted a long time in it too - longer than expected. I do always keep an extra battery on board though.

You can also purchase a floating strap to attach to it if you are worried about losing it in the water.. I usually just kept the strap wrapped around my wrist that it came with. It takes good pictures out of the water too. I will attach some photos I took with the camera.

It was a good buy for as much as I have used it. I also found a great arm band case that velcros around your arm that makes it really handy to carry around with you.

Here are some pics I took with it:

fish1-1.jpg

P3160032.jpg

P3160037.jpg

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

BTW- the only downside to the camera that I have found is the lens is up in the top left hand corner which is hard for you to get used to and there is no viewfinder (not that you could actually look through a viewfinder while wearing those amazing snorkel goggles).. it is also hard to see the LCD screen while you are under the water. I got used to it after a little while. My only suggestion to remedy that would be just take a TON of shots and delete the ones you dont want. :D

i finally heard back from hubby, it goes up to 30ft no problem. i knew i had taken mine in the pool and the sea, but wasn't sure of the deep it could go to. i also googled it for you, it has prices from $280 - $400 depend on where you buy from. it also has 4 different underwater settings aswel as a beach and sunset setting, which might come in usefull on the cruise!! hope this helps you a little.

I am a certified SCUBA diver and have had an underwater camera for over ten years. The first two were film cameras designed mainly for underwater pictures. I still have the last one.

However this is not what you asked. I have a Cannon Powershot SD800 IS digital camera that takes excellent pictures for a point and shoot camera. I bought a protective dive case for it made by Cannon. I bought both over the internet and got a good deal on the camera but not that good on the case. The case was around $160 and the camera was around $300 at the time. I always use the camera on the surface as well as diving of course. So the only real charge was the price of the case so that I could dive with it.

Certified recreational SCUBA divers are allowed to dive to 130 feet below sea level and the camera case is good for that depth. It takes great pictures underwater and has never leaked.

I have been on dive trips with other divers and have seen Olympus digital cameras used as well with the added plastic enclosures. Ikelite makes quite a few cases for digital cameras. You should be able to get a decent digital point and shoot camera and plastic case for around $500 or so. As you found out there are more expensive models available used by real photo enthusiasts and professionals.

I got the coolest little item on the internet last January. It's a digital hero gopro wrist camera. cost me about $100, and it straps to my wrist. it's tiny. it takes pix about as good as the first ones above, and it takes video, too! It's a cool little gadget. I think it's meant for extreme sports or something, which definately doesn't fit my lifestyle, lol! But it goes entirely underwater in it's little housing. you can also take it out of it's plastic case and off of it's wrist strap, and then it's less than 2 inches by 2 inches. You could probably find one on Ebay for even cheaper. Oh, they work on batteries. AA or AAA, dont' remember.

My recomendation is, buy it at home. If there's a problem, you can take it back to the store and not have to mail it anywhere.
I agree. Something like this should be bought where returns are easy, even if it means a few extra dollars.

Where were those pictures taken of the kids snorkeling with the breathing tubes? It looks very interesting. Can yout ell us something about it?
Who are you asking this question of?

If me, the boy is doing something called snuba. The air tank is on the surface and the hose allows one to go about twenty feet down. We also have weight belts on, so we can stay down easily. Snuba is half way between snorkeling and scuba. These pictures were taken in Grand Cayman. However, I've seen snuba offered in other ports also.

So what happens if you go to 136 feet? Do the underwater police come after you?

If you go below 130', even for 5 minutes, you must then go through a decompression stage before re-surfacing. If you don't you risk getting what is commonly called the "bends" (decompression sickness or decompression illness). So the 130' limit is EXTREMELY important, it's pay attention or risk extreme pain, possible permanent physical injury or even death.

The 130' limit is for "recreational divers". Divers who regularly dive below this limit are called "technical divers". Technical divers use a variety of means to protect themselves from the ravages of depth, including special breathing gases and extra air tanks. They might have go through numerous decompression stops before surfacing, depending on the depth they reached.

So, no, the underwater police won't be coming for you, but Dr. Death might be.

Archived