ohioNCLcruiser

OceanDreaming2

Great! Now I know what my 'free cruise' would be ROTFL

I'll admit though, the few times I've been to Cleveland, I've loved it. I'm trying to convince the wife we should go there for vacation some time and she thinks I should be committed. She's never been there

I should clarify something for all non-Ohioians on here... people in the three major cities of Ohio love to cut on each others towns... Columbus people call Cleveland the "mistake on the Lake" and Clevelanders respond by calling Columbus a Cowtown or Cowlumbus. (could it be the cow made of butter at the State Fair that does it?) (we just kinda ignore Cincinnati in hopes Kentucky will annex them....)

So my attacks on Cleveland are all just plain fun. Cleveland is actually a very nice city and have a lot to offer visitors. Of course, in Columbus we have Jungle Jack Hanna, Director of the Columbus Zoo.... oh wait, never mind...lol

Hi, James.

We'll be in Sect.210, Row 7, seats 1 & 2. We're old enough to be your parents (we have our own 20 y.o. at Ohio Northern studying Pharmacy), so be forewarned!

Hope you're not having problems with the ice storm tonight!

Go Cavs!

As for Cleveland, we moved here in 1992. DH had lived all over the US and I'd lived in 3 or 4 places before here. I ADORE Cleveland. I can't believe how good we have it here--major league sports, a fabulous "Broadway" show complex, world class museums and orchestra, plenty of highways for the # of cars, .....and best of all, 4 distinct seasons with gorgeous fall colors and generally, pretty mild summers. No complaints here!

I should clarify something for all non-Ohioians on here... people in the three major cities of Ohio love to cut on each others towns... Columbus people call Cleveland the "mistake on the Lake" and Clevelanders respond by calling Columbus a Cowtown or Cowlumbus. (could it be the cow made of butter at the State Fair that does it?) (we just kinda ignore Cincinnati in hopes Kentucky will annex them....)

So my attacks on Cleveland are all just plain fun. Cleveland is actually a very nice city and have a lot to offer visitors. Of course, in Columbus we have Jungle Jack Hanna, Director of the Columbus Zoo.... oh wait, never mind...lol

I agree Columbus is a great city. Just look at the two cities. ;)

Cleveland

cle1.jpg

cle2.jpg

cle3.jpg

cle5.jpg

Columbus

cle4.jpg

Hi, James.

We'll be in Sect.210, Row 7, seats 1 & 2. We're old enough to be your parents (we have our own 20 y.o. at Ohio Northern studying Pharmacy), so be forewarned!

I'll walk over at some point and say hi. Im way over in section 231 row 3 seats 10 and 11. My friend had to bail on me tonight and I might not find a replacement today so if you know someone who needs an extra ticket let me know!

I had heard a rumor that NCL was working on something to get started in the port canaveral area. To try and take a chunk out of the disney visitors. Maybe it has something to do with that. I think that would be great if they did. They would definately get alot of bookings.

I agree Columbus is a great city. Just look at the two cities.

Cleveland

cle1.jpg

cle2.jpg

cle3.jpg

cle5.jpg

James, I'm not sure where you're going next (hope it's still NCL...would love to meet you someday, and I'm unlikely to be sailing other lines anytime soon); but just a thought.....your photography here, and elsewhere is excellent. Even if you're only using a regular digicam, your eye is good.

Could it make sense for you to get onto the photography staff on one of the ships?

Anyway...keep us posted....although I think that peoples' speculation is just as much fun.... there was a while there, that I thought Klaus would bring you onto his team, to instill an NCL spirit at NCLA.

Another time I thought maybe you were going to be attached to the marketing department, following your attendance at the F3 Keel-laying....

Isn't guessing fun? :rolleyes:

Could it make sense for you to get onto the photography staff on one of the ships?

That seems like it would be a waste of James' really strong talent. I don't know much about photography but somehow it doesn't seem the many, many pictures of people I see require a lot of talent. Some of the formal ones are an exception. On the other hand, I do have a nice picture of my husband and me on the private island with the Norway in the background. That and the ship photographers pictures of the seals on iceburgs in Alaska would require talent.

It could of course be a good way to bring the love of the cruise industry and the photo talent together - just not fully utilized.

That seems like it would be a waste of James' really strong talent. I don't know much about photography but somehow it doesn't seem the many, many pictures of people I see require a lot of talent. Some of the formal ones are an exception. On the other hand, I do have a nice picture of my husband and me on the private island with the Norway in the background. That and the ship photographers pictures of the seals on iceburgs in Alaska would require talent.

It could of course be a good way to bring the love of the cruise industry and the photo talent together - just not fully utilized.

Well.... as a working photographer for the last 20 years... I agree and disagree with that statement.

It doesn't take much talent to point the camera, and push the button with the camera set to P (which does NOT stand for "Professional")

What does take skill and practice is capturing the peak second when folks are smiling with a relaxed smile, while not having a waiter right behind them.

The portrait sessions are simple and easy to get through. I usually spend about an hour per cruise sitting in a lounge where they're taking the formals to observe the lighting and prop set up as well as how the photogs pose the couples.

I've spent some of that time watching a few real pros do some good work... but I usually see photogs with no clue on how to pose people of various body sizes.

HINT: if a couple is composed of a "big" and a "small"... then the big goes behind the smaller person. Use the small person to disguise the size of the larger person.

Would I want their job? No way. It's the same old - same old after a single week. It's not a tough job, but its VERY repetitive.

The only thing I've learned about photography from seeing others make this mistake is to NOT center the person's face in the picture. That does make me laugh when there is half a person and lots of blank wall or ceiling.

The next photography lesson I'm hoping to learn is how NOT to drop my camera in the ocean. I've done it more than once.:(

The only thing I've learned about photography from seeing others make this mistake is to NOT center the person's face in the picture. That does make me laugh when there is half a person and lots of blank wall or ceiling.

The next photography lesson I'm hoping to learn is how NOT to drop my camera in the ocean. I've done it more than once.:(

Not trying to hijack Jame's thread... but since we have to wait another week to hear his news... :D

Use the rule of thirds when composing your images.

Draw a tic-tac-toe grid (mentally) on any good image. You'll notice that almost always, the center of interest of the image is on or very close to the intersection of two of the lines in the tic-tac-toe grid.

Rule3.jpg

Also, look at the natural horizon (where the sky bumps into the buildings/trees/ground)... if it's right in the center of the pic... it's not a good thing. Move it to one of the lines on the TTT grid. Much better pic.

In the image above, I'm not right on the lines, but very close. Horizon is just below the top 1/3rd line, and the tender boat is near the upper right intersection. The smaller boat is near the upper left intersection. The pier even start near one intersection, crosses another, and finishes near the top left edge of the red lines.

Hope this helps (James dis a good job in his pics above... take a look at them and mentally put the grid on his images).

If you want any more lessons, I'll be teaching a photo class this semester here in Indianapolis. You just need to be a journalism major at the correct university to take it! ;)

I was kinda wishing that Ohio would annex Northern Kentucky :)

Thanks for the lesson in photography, Troy.. Just got a new camera for xmas! ;)

I too appreciate it. I'm debating over getting a new camera. I'll be going to Ireland soon, so would love to have it for that. Probably don't have to worry about dropping it in the ocean. But since my son decided last minute that he wants to go I don't think the camera is in the budget.

Not trying to hijack Jame's thread... but since we have to wait another week to hear his news... :D

Use the rule of thirds when composing your images.

Draw a tic-tac-toe grid (mentally) on any good image. You'll notice that almost always, the center of interest of the image is on or very close to the intersection of two of the lines in the tic-tac-toe grid.

Rule3.jpg

Also, look at the natural horizon (where the sky bumps into the buildings/trees/ground)... if it's right in the center of the pic... it's not a good thing. Move it to one of the lines on the TTT grid. Much better pic.

In the image above, I'm not right on the lines, but very close. Horizon is just below the top 1/3rd line, and the tender boat is near the upper right intersection. The smaller boat is near the upper left intersection. The pier even start near one intersection, crosses another, and finishes near the top left edge of the red lines.

Hope this helps (James dis a good job in his pics above... take a look at them and mentally put the grid on his images).

If you want any more lessons, I'll be teaching a photo class this semester here in Indianapolis. You just need to be a journalism major at the correct university to take it! ;)

Thanks for the lesson Troy. I think that was great of you to post it. I do agree it doesn't take talent to point and click, but I do think it takes talent and instinct to compose the photo.

OH.. and James.. just so you know..I think you are cruel making us wait.. LOL

OH.. and James.. just so you know..I think you are cruel making us wait.. LOL

LOL making you wait..hmm how do you think I feel! I had a few different cruise lines in mind, and as soon as I hear back from my final choice (by monday) I will post and I hope I know where I'm going and if there is a waiting period, at least how long I can expect till ship off date.

Thanks for the lesson in photography, Troy.. Just got a new camera for xmas! ;)

Thanks for the lesson Troy. I think that was great of you to post it. I do agree it doesn't take talent to point and click, but I do think it takes talent and instinct to compose the photo.

You might want to drop in over on the Photo Discussion Area for more details and other lessons.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=791007

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=807836

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=824433

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=835827

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=848866

Hi, James!

Always hard to meet up at game---we were late due to the snow and we chose to eat before sitting down. Maybe next time.

What a game! And, the Celtics lost (2 in a row now), so they'll be hungry on Friday night.

Looking forward to hearing your new plans--hope that 1st choice comes thru!

Archived