port to Airport - best way for group of 9 (5 kids)

FOURunderFOUR

I posted this in the Florida departures forum a few times with no answer. Are there any larger groups here with kids that can make a recommendation? We have 5 kids under 6 (so all will need/have car seats) and 4 adults, so we can split up somewhat if necessary (i.e. more than one cab). But to get all of us and our stuff in a cab, I am thinking we would need 3 or 4?!?! DH and I have always taken the cruise transfers, but at $17pp, they are not cheap. On the way down, we are arriving a day early, and the hotel has transport from airport and to port, so we are set there. On our return, our initital flight home left at 6p, so we were planning on renting a car for the day. Our flight got changed to 2p, so we will most likely go straight to the airport. Should I just suck it up and for ease, get the cruise transfers for all of us so we can just put all of our luggage (inlcu 3-5 car seats and 2 strollers) on the bus, or is there an easier and/or cheaper way?

Thanks

You said "Florida," but you didn't say where your ship will dock or which airport you will be using so here's an answer that covers all possibilities.

My suggestion is to consider renting a van or other high capacity vehicle. If you have a reservation and request a pick up, the majors (Hertz, Avis, National) will meet you dockside, either in the vehicle you'll be driving or in a shuttle car to take you to the rental station.

In FLL, the rental station for the airport is the same as for the pier so when you return your vehicle, you'll get a shuttle ride directly to FLL airport.

In Miami be sure to let them know that you'll be returning the vehicle to the MIA airport location. (No extra charge.)

If you are going from the pier in Fort Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale airport, it's so close by you can make the trip from the ship to the airport in 2 bites (or 3 bites if necessary or desired). The trip will be about 5-10 minutes.

If you are going from the pier in Miami to Miami airport, it's quite a bit further but with adult supervision available at both ends, the same plan works but with a bit of a wait for the second batch.

Check with the car rental outfits for van pricing. You'll do far better than $17 per head with a large vehicle using this technique. (We've done the two trip approach with four adults with luggage with no problems and it even gave us a way to check the luggage then go back out to have lunch away from the airport and, in one case, go back to see the magnificent ship one last time.

If you are docking in Miami and flying out of FLL or vice versa, you are docking at Port Everglades and flying out of MIA, however, the trip is too long and not worth the hassle.

If you are coming into Tampa or Port Canaveral I really don't have any experience at either port. But I've been to Tampa and know that the Tampa airport is reasonably close to the cruise dock so chances are the same strategy I suggested would work. Port Canaveral? No idea at all.

Thanks for your reply. not sure how I missed the details. We are flying into FLL and sailing out of there as well. It seems crazy to rent a van for an hour or two, but that may indeed be the easiest and cheapest way. When we were flyung out in the eve, that definitely made the most sense but with a 2pm return flight? I have heard horror stories of recent MSC departures not getting off the ship until close to noon, although we were always off RCCL by 9 at the latest. 3 cabs would be about $45, but I shutter at the thought of installing 4-5 car seats while hundreds of others are waiting for a cab. Plus, DH is really the only one out of the 4 adults that I trust to install the seats. I can with a few but I am not as confident in my installs as I am with his. I'll check on rental cars right now.

Any other ideas? The bus transfer would be the easiest in terms of not having to install car seats, but I am not sure the price is worth it. Thanks. Anyone else with thoughts??

J

Thanks for your reply. not sure how I missed the details. We are flying into FLL and sailing out of there as well. It seems crazy to rent a van for an hour or two, but that may indeed be the easiest and cheapest way. When we were flyung out in the eve, that definitely made the most sense but with a 2pm return flight? I have heard horror stories of recent MSC departures not getting off the ship until close to noon, although we were always off RCCL by 9 at the latest. 3 cabs would be about $45, but I shutter at the thought of installing 4-5 car seats while hundreds of others are waiting for a cab. Plus, DH is really the only one out of the 4 adults that I trust to install the seats. I can with a few but I am not as confident in my installs as I am with his. I'll check on rental cars right now.

Any other ideas? The bus transfer would be the easiest in terms of not having to install car seats, but I am not sure the price is worth it. Thanks. Anyone else with thoughts??

J

A thought my wife had was that you rent a regular sedan and install two car seats, then drive to the airport with two kids and an adult with some luggage in the trunk.

Drop them off but leave the car seats strapped in, then return to the port for the next batch. The trip is so short that you could make 3 round trips and park the car while you check yourself in in about an hour or hour and a half.

Yes, it seems crazy to rent a car for just 2-4 or so hours, but we're talking a Hertz price, for example, of about $60 for a full size or $75 for a large Trailblazer, so for the cost of 4 people on the transfer bus, you can transport the whole gang and, if you have time after checking everyone in, you can escape the airport for something to do to keep the kids occupied. The transfer bus will set you back $153 and just shuttles you one way to the airport.

If the ship gets in at the normal 5:00am to 7:00am, you'll be able to have the rental car outfit meet you dockside at 9:00am, then one or two people travels over to the rental facility (near the airport), handles the paperwork, then returns to the dock, etc. The entire operation would be complete, including airline check in, at around 10:30. (You can check-in your luggage and yourselves without going through security so you're free to do what you want, just so you're back to the airport about 1 hour before departure to clear security.)

Then you can take a short drive into Fort Lauderdale or whatever, just so you're back to the airport car check in lot by, say 12:30, then you have a leisurely TSA security check with lots of time for a 2:00pm flight.

Here's a map to give you how convenient the airport is to the dock at Port Everglades. Most cruise ships use piers 24 thru 26.

m_mg_ft_lauderdale_04.gif

portmap_lg.gif

We are using a compnay called rideas.com.... the man's email address is sas9897@aol.com. He apparently has sevearal vans and I have read many recommendataions for him in cruisecritic under the east coast ports - Florida.... You should check there. I have even read review where groups of 12-15 have booked him - perhaps he offers a discount then.

He is charging us only $15 a person to get us from a hotel in Fort Lauderdale to POM.... this is the best price I have found anywhere. I am sure he is a ton less for transporting from a Fort Lauderdale Hotel to the port there. My communication with him has been prompt and very informative.

My husband and I are using him this month for a getaway trip for just the two of us, but will be using him again this summer when we take our 5 kids on a cruise....Flying into FLL is usually substantially cheaper for us.

I just hate renting a car with the kids... by the time you get to the rental place then dropping off the car then getting another shuttle to the pier not to mention strapping in and unstrapping all those car seats... I would rather pay a bit more than deal with all that... then again that is my personal experience - BUT I had 4 in car seats at the same time....

Hope this helps....

Hey Walt - JUST the info I was coming to look for.

So, this is what I need. What is the MOST convenient rental car company at FLL airport? Are there any onsite or are they all off site with shuttles?

THEN, what is the most convenient rental car company to the port (PE)?

I want to rent a car at FLL and use it for 24 hours and then drop it off at the port (or close to it) the next day.

I can't see taking a taxi to the hotel with all of our luggage. Then being stuck for 24 hours without a car. Then taking a taxi back to the port. So I need advice. :D

Hey Walt - JUST the info I was coming to look for.

So, this is what I need. What is the MOST convenient rental car company at FLL airport? Are there any onsite or are they all off site with shuttles?

THEN, what is the most convenient rental car company to the port (PE)?

I want to rent a car at FLL and use it for 24 hours and then drop it off at the port (or close to it) the next day.

I can't see taking a taxi to the hotel with all of our luggage. Then being stuck for 24 hours without a car. Then taking a taxi back to the port. So I need advice. :D

All of the major rental companies are consolidated in one area near the airport so there is no logistical difference among the companies.

What we do is split up. I get the luggage while my wife takes the shuttle and gets the car, then drives back to the terminal. I load the trunk and off we go.

The next morning after breakfast we pack and drive over to the ship and check in the luggage and find out when the ship will begin to board.

The rental check-in is the same place as the check-out so we'll "ad hoc" (shop, Starbucks, etc.) until we are approaching the boarding time. Then I'll drop my wife at the port with the carry on luggage and will return the car to the airport. After check-in the rental agency will shuttle you back to the dock.

Major Point- Make sure you specify that you'll need a ride to the port after returning the car, both when you book the reservation, when you pick up the car and when you return the car. Policies and procedures can change without notice so you don't need a rude surprise at the last minute.

Thanks to both of you. I emailed SAS for a price quote and if that does not work, we will stop at the Rental counter at FLL when we arrive the day before our cruise. Hal,your wife's idea of using just two seats sounds smart! Thanks to you both!

J

Have you considered your cruiseline's transportation? A couple of years ago, we found that the least expensive option for us was to go with NCL's shuttle service, and we rode back and forth on a nice big air conditioned bus. It was comfortable and roomy, and it would give parents the freedom to get up and move around if they had to. I'm sure all cruiselines have similar service available. :)

Archived