Orchestra Worst cruise ever

Doug&Patti

HI, We have reserved our trip for March 28 of 2009 with Orchestra Ship. We have heard so muny negative opinions about the ship service. Here are some questions we would like to know anwsers to before making our final payment for the cruise.

What is the charge for coda sticker? Does buffet works 24 hrs? Is there any midnight cafe? Do you of any activities for kids. 4 and 8 yrs old. We cruised with Ruby Princess in December. If you are familier with Princess line, how would you compare MSC and Princess lines?:)

HI, We have reserved our trip for March 28 of 2009 with Orchestra Ship. We have heard so muny negative opinions about the ship service. Here are some questions we would like to know anwsers to before making our final payment for the cruise.

What is the charge for coda sticker? Does buffet works 24 hrs? Is there any midnight cafe? Do you of any activities for kids. 4 and 8 yrs old. We cruised with Ruby Princess in December. If you are familier with Princess line, how would you compare MSC and Princess lines?:)

Someone from our cruise scheduled in April is spending tonight on board the Orchestra. She has a list of things we asked her to check on while she is there and she is supposed to report back to us in a couple of days. I'm not sure if she'll post on the main board or not. If not, the link for what is currently the last page of our roll call is HERE.

Hi,

As someone fom the other side of the "pond" who has never had the pleasure of an MSC cruise experience, can I suggest that you take a look at the website linked below?

http://www.cruise.co.uk/

This contains a large number of reviews from mainly UK based cruisers. I know that it definitely has influenced my cruise choices with regard to MSC :)

Hello everyone,

I read a few post were people seemed to make light of the problems on the ship “felt" most people wanted something to complain about.

I personally want to thank everyone who posted a positive and a negative review about this cruise line on this board. It helps others make a more informed decision, whether we heed the advice or ignore at least we were warned.

So when some people returning from the latest sailing on the MSC Sinfonia, and post negative reviews – please remember this article and try not to make light of their situation.

MSNBC reported on Thursday, January 2, 2009 - At least 340 sickened on cruise ship in Brazil (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28561679/) Problems found with storage of perishable foods; cause of illness unknown

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Hundreds of passengers on a Swiss-owned cruise ship were stricken with severe vomiting and diarrhea caused by a mysterious ailment, Brazilian health officials said Thursday.

At least 340 victims have been sickened on the MSC Sinfonia, now docked in Salvador, Bahia, according to a spokeswoman for the National Agency for Sanitary Vigilance. She spoke on condition of anonymity, in line with department policy.

The illness didn't appear to be life-threatening and most passengers were recovering Thursday.

The agency said later in a statement that an inspection found problems with the amount of chlorine in the ship's drinking water and with the storage of some perishable food items, notably mayonnaise.

But officials said they would not know what caused the illness until they wrap up their investigation.

The health agency said the outbreak was under control, and the victims were being interviewed and treated on board the ship. Most fell ill on Monday and Tuesday.

The vessel is owned by MSC Cruises, a division of the Geneva-based Mediterranean Shipping Co. An MSC Cruises spokeswoman in Sao Paulo declined to comment.

The Sinfonia left Rio de Janeiro on Friday with 2,000 passengers, mostly Brazilians.

Health officials gave approval for the ship to return to Rio, but ordered cruise officials to notify authorities immediately should new cases of illness break out.

After reading all the UK reviews I* find it difficult to say that "Americans" are too picky and negative. All their complaints were exactly the same as voiced here on Cruise Critic. How can so many people from various countries all be wrong?

I have long loved MSC but they really have some major changes to make before we would sail with them again.

I have not cruised with MSC ( Thank God !! ) but did think about it when I heard about the kids free promotion. Nonetheless I am shocked and saddenned by all those reviews I have read. This is totally unforgiveable and I am ashamed at the actions of this so called italian company and their italian staff. As an Italian Canadian I have always been proud of my heritage and all the beautiful history, architecture and culinary creations Italians have brought to the world.

But for anything Italian to have to be associated with horrible food :eek: is unheard of and a disgrace to our culture. On top of which , we are not known as rude or uncaring but a people of passion.

MSC if you are reading this and , for the sake of your livelihood I hope so , you are a disgrace to the Italian people and to the cruise industry !!!:mad:

If you cannot operate your ships properly at the rates you are selling your cabins..then stop ! Charge what you must to give your passengers a real ITALIAN experience of great food and great passion on a great ship !!

Otherwise..all these horrible reviews will spell the death of MSC cruises..you have been warned !!!

But for anything Italian to have to be associated with horrible food :eek: is unheard of

I have always marveled that one small place ( Parma) can produce both the best cheese and the best ham in the world. No need to be ashamed Tony.

Tony:

We were on the cruise, not you, and I totally disagree with the negative posts.

Yes, there were some issues, as in all cruises. And, yes, the institutional Italian( all food) ( 12,000 + ready made meals) were not great, But the fresh made, at the restaurant pastas were outstanding.

My DH and I and DD/son-in-law had a great cruise, never went hungry and ate some great food. Son-in-law ate foods he never thought of eating and was astounded as to how good they tasted.

I don't know why we are the exception, but all the staff treated us very well and we never had an issue with anyone. Perhaps it all comes down to respect and manners.

Bradenton: I saw sanitizers at the dining room entrance and at embarkation to the ship. All were working properly. Children running amok - every ship has this. Blame the parents, not the ship.

I am amazed that the world continues to grow considering there was no one to guide us, feed us, provide sanitizers, entertain us, provide food 24 hours a day until we decided to go on a cruise.

How do people survive at home?

Tony:

Yes, there were some issues, as in all cruises. And, yes, the institutional Italian( all food) ( 12,000 + ready made meals) were not great, But the fresh made, at the restaurant pastas were outstanding.

My DH and I and DD/son-in-law had a great cruise, never went hungry and ate some great food. Son-in-law ate foods he never thought of eating and was astounded as to how good they tasted.

I don't know why we are the exception, but all the staff treated us very well and we never had an issue with anyone. Perhaps it all comes down to respect and manners.

Bradenton: I saw sanitizers at the dining room entrance and at embarkation to the ship. All were working properly. Children running amok - every ship has this. Blame the parents, not the ship.

I am amazed that the world continues to grow considering there was no one to guide us, feed us, provide sanitizers, entertain us, provide food 24 hours a day until we decided to go on a cruise.

Why shoot the messenger?

Why not appreciate that CC members take the time to put in both negative and positive comments? If MSC choose to listen, the result will be an improved cruising experience for everyone.

I thought long and hard before I put in my comments about our MSC cruise experience.

Don't judge if not on cruise??? It appears that you misunderstood the poster. Judging?? NO...expressing their opinion. YES. Everyone has a right to express their opinions whether they were on the cruise or not. Why do you want to discourage people from expressing their opinions? You are expressing yours whether some of us want to hear them or not.

Tony:

• 1 month later...

Hi

I was on this same ship the week after you. I never paid for ice tea (by the way, it was the best ice tea I think I have ever had) and I drank alot of it. Also we did have comment cards at the end of the cruise. I filled mine out very extensively. They do have some problems, but overall I had a great time. They need to do something about the food and also find a way to keep the food warm when it gets to you.

We boarded the ship around 2:00 PM and walked right on. No wait anywhere.

Sorry you had such a bad time. Remember, life is what you make it!!!

...adding just one more comment to this thread, even a positive one, just prolongs its existence folks!! Perhaps those with pleasant things to say about their experiences aboard MSC could post them on one of the many other threads out there with less alarmist titles?

I just got off the MSC Orchrestra. I had a wonderful time. Would do it again! I too read the critic reviews and was alittle worried, but we decided to try it and are glad we did. The entertainment is like no other. In fact, I stayed for the show twice one night. Newer had entertainment like this on any other ship I was ever on. I will admit the food had a lot to be desired for, but I didn't go on the cruise mainly for the food. It helps but there are other things just as important. A cruise is what you make it and we made ours very fun and enjoyable. You should have made the cruise and make your own conclusions about the ship, Not everyone thinks or does thing alike. What one person likes, another does not.

We had people on our cruise nit-pick about everything and I am sure they did not have a good time. They ruined it for themselves as we almost ruined it for ourselves by believing everything we read on the critic reviews.

Archived